Thread: Introduction and a few questions

Introduction and a few questions

Greetings,

Well, after lusting after this car for 9 years, I finally joined the club today. The car is still not in my possession (needs to be shipped from California to me in Zurich), but I wired the money, so it's mine now. Had a great time dealing with the former owner of the car, a really nice guy. The car has 5k miles, the Dinan S2 package, and Dinan wheels. Pic below The next two months of waiting are going to be hell.

Now for the questions... In trying to determine if all the accessories where in place, there was one item on the the list kindly provided by J?rgen that the owner couldn't identify: "Tarpaulin in the same leather colour as the interior (in storage jacket)"

Anyone have a better idea what this is?

Second, the owner didn't have the "Special BMW Z8 ignition key-pouch in black leather with Z8-logo". Does anyone have a picture of this so I know what to look for?

thanks so much for everything. This site was a great resource while I was looking for my Z8.

John

I would be keen to know if the car has the Dinan sway bars & castor plates, they are both really great upgrades, and also to be sure this car wasn't one of the ones that Dinan did the frame alterations to, see this thread.

I have no idea what that tarpaulin is, thats a new one on me! Here is a shot of the key & pouch, sorry about the quality - iPhone!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I would be keen to know if the car has the Dinan sway bars & castor plates, they are both really great upgrades, and also to be sure this car wasn't one of the ones that Dinan did the frame alterations to, see this thread.
    Unfortunately, no suspension upgrades. The upgrade was done in 2007, so no frame alterations. Again, thanks to this forum I knew about that issue before purchasing the car.

Thanks for the picture. Now the search begins for one of the pouches. I guess I'll try BMW and see if a key pouch counts as a "part" for their 50 year promise.

John

update: the car is here and it turns out that it does have the full Dinan suspension package--a pleasant surprise
    Last edited by ZMates; October 10th 2009 at 21:20. Reason: new info

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I have no idea what that tarpaulin is, thats a new one on me!
    The word tarpaulin to me suggests car cover, but that's not in leather. Was there a car cover included? My other thought was it might be leather cover that goes over the soft top when it is down. Either one make sense to you?

The soft top cover came in Black or Crema only, and was called a tonneau cover, some cars did get a car cover, but I never had one on any of my 4 Z8's, I think it was luck of the draw, and it was always silver/grey.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    I do have the car cover (silver) for both of my cars. No idea what tarpaulin is.

Key pouches show up on ebay every once in a while. I think the dealer will sell you one for about $120 US.
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    Sorry for the translation! The "Tarpaulin" was meant to be the tonneau cover... Isn?t it funny that not a single Club member over the years did recognise that... How many Club members are reading the magazines ???
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

follow up question:

Does anybody have a picture handy of the box the Kyosho 1:18 model came in?

thanks again, John

woohoo, it's on the way...

Congratulations! Looks nice. What size wheels are those? And, is that a Dinan badge on the back? What city in CA?

What size wheels are those?

18x9 and 18x9.5 Dinan forged--18lbs! Not my favorite look, but not bad and they're 18 lbs! The equivalent Dymag carbon wheels are only 14lbs.

And, is that a Dinan badge on the back?

yep, it has the full S2 package

What city in CA?

San Diego

Only 5 weeks to go before it arrives...

what are the chances?

so I started a new job on Sep 1--actually returned to the company I worked for previously after an ill-timed venture into banking. Guess what the guy with the parking spot next to mine drove to work today? Yep, a Stratus/Black. I very rarely see Z8s here in Zurich, so this is remarkable. Should make for an interesting discussion once my car arrives. I haven't figured out yet who the driver is.

key pouch

I noticed a key pouch on eBay for 125 Euros plus 32 Euros shipping (ridiculous). Got two pouches from my BMW dealer for 33 Euros each.

DSC Off
    Hi John,

Congratulations on your new purchase! It would be interesting to know how much costs the shipping to Germany. How much do you have to add in total (including VAT, customs duty, approval certificate, etc.) to the price of the car? Thanks in advance.

Ben

Here is the shipping quote:

Your BMW Z8 from La Jolla via our terminal in Los Angeles, CA in a shared 40' container up to port Bremerhaven:

$225 ? Trucking from La Jolla to Los Angeles
    $950 ? shipping from Los Angeles up to port Bremerhaven

INCLUDED:
    - Trucking by flatbed truck
    - Receiving, loading, block & brace at terminal
    - US Customs clearance and export documentation
    - Container drayage and U.S. port fees
    - Ocean freight from terminal Los Angeles up to port Bremerhaven
    - Bill of Lading and courier fees

EXCLUDED:
    - Optional full coverage ("all risk") insurance at @ 1.3% of the replacement value at destination, with a $500.00 deductible
    - Import handling charges and fees after arrival at destination port ? EUR 325, to be paid to our agent in Germany (note: the German agent wanted 19% VAT on this)
    - Issuance of T1 transit document for duty free transit of vehicle to Switzerland ? EUR 85, to be paid to our agent in Germany
    - Trucking of vehicle from Bremerhaven to Basel ? EUR 425, to be paid to our agent in Germany
    - Customs clearance in Switzerland ? approx. CHF 100
    - Import taxes and duties for Switzerland total 11.6% of declared value

DSC Off
    Thanks a lot for the details, John!

god the waiting is torture. I don't know how many pictures of Z8s I can look at to fill the empty days. Still 2.5 weeks to go--the German shipper added a week to my estimated delivery date and still no firm date.

To help me pass the time, I have a question for anyone with the Dinan S2 package who is reading this:

what exactly was included in the S2 package?

thanks a lot, John

update: the car is now in Bremerhaven. Next stop Zurich, but still no ETA.

Well, the car is now in Zurich. The truck arrived late last night...too late to make it through customs. I have to wait until Monday to pick it up--absolute torture. The car is parked in an unsupervised, open lot and I have the key, so I could take it for a spin. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and sunny so the temptation is going to be unbearable. What would you do?

So my Z8 made the trip from bremerhaven to Zurich with a Jaguar XK 140, a Dodge Charger, A '67 Mustang fastback, a Porsche Cayenne, and a 1995 Honda Civic in poor condition???????? All were shipped from the US--the current USD/CHF exchange rate means a lot of cars are making that trip. I wonder what's in the trunk of the civic.

So the car is now in my possession and is in incredible condition--really like new. I took a big chance not inspecting it before hand, but thought I was dealing with a trustworthy owner and work just wouldn't allow it. In this case, my faith in mankind was justified. The car has some ideosyncracies, though...

- a radio seemingly possessed by the devil. (it's bound for replacement anyway)
    - a sticky heater valve (tried the AC for 10 seconds, then heater trick and it worked great)
    - the fogged lamp problem.
    - loose soft top strings (no damage to the softtop)

luckily no strut tower doming or warping of the wings. incredible how such a high proportion of Z8s have these same problems. I guess that is just the nature of small production cars. The manufacturers can't justify the same level of testing as for the mass production vehicles.

next up is the inspection and registration process. A stock car would be no problem. I'll find out soon about the Dinan upgrades...

Well, the Dinan S2 Z8 is now homologated in Switzerland. Only thing that had to be done was to slow down the throttle response so that it would pass the noise test--basically cheating the test and it was the guy giving the test that told me how to do it. If anyone else is going down the same road, send me a note and I'll give you all the details.

Great news, don't forget to send us in loads of pictures of your car in the Alps! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson