Thread: fabricating a GPS/ radar detector holder

fabricating a GPS/ radar detector holder

I have just completed a custom holder to house a Magellan GPS (I have an Alpine radio so no more factory GPS)as well as my remote readout for a Valentine 1 radar dectector. I had a friend make it from stock aluminum from a design I cut out of cardboard, I then added wood to bulk it out and mimic the consul bevel then had it wrapped in black leather by my upholsterer friend. He used black Napa with the same french stitching found in the car. It fits in the existing cupholder and I made it with another cupholder so I would not lose that function. I choose the Magellan unit because its top rated and also mimics the dash colors and look. Any feed back? Joshb

Very nice, great idea well executed.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks Andrew.I still have some finessing to do like hiding the wires. Another small benefit of having the Alpine radio with the now remote GPS allows me to run an ipod dock with Sirus and negates the use of the cd player and the nav disc systom, both of which are easily removed saving about 10 pounds.This allows me to build two small storage bins that are lockable behind the seats. everything is of course reversable but since this is a driver I like as much flexability as possible. JoshB

2002 61233 silver red/ black

very nice indeed. Noticed the V-1 in the holder as well.... were did you mount the sensors for the V-1?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8Mania
    That is very nice. Belated congratulations Josh. I didn't see this before.

Thanks, the V1 is mounted on the visor for uhm..quick dismounts.I have a couple of other sleds that I use it in or it would be hardwired. It has saved my bacon on many occasions. I run with an exotic car club and I dont even keep up with the big Ferraris and Lambos but I am still driving fast enough to get a substancial ticket. Joshb

Josh, in your photo, it looks like the V-1 is mounted to the side of your display mount? Or, is that just somewhere to store the unit when you are not using it?

As far as keeping up with the Lambos or Ferraris, no worries, just come to one of our meets and "run with the rabbit" crowd and you will be fine !! ;-)
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I should have been more clear but yes the remote display is functional so you do not see the V1 kick off for a signal from behind. The wire is hid up the A pillar and comes out by the visor. I should put a sunglass holder around the unit to account for a mass there for the casual observer. The new GPS is phenomenal and also is more useful than the factory unit. Since I drive my car I want it to user friendly which means these important but fairly transparent upgrades. Joshb

Out of curiosity, why are you concerned with the display being seen from behind?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8Mania
    I guess police. I don't like going on runs with groups of cars for many reasons.

I don't like going on runs with groups of cars for many reasons.
    I love doing our group runs across the wide open spaces of California, but one of the nice things about the Z8 is the quality of owners it attracts. I've done a couple of non-Z8 runs, and those I wouldn't do again, the last time I did I saw an idiot in a Murcialago put it into a roadside metal pole making a dumb over taking manouver.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I love doing our group runs across the wide open spaces of California, but one of the nice things about the Z8 is the quality of owners it attracts. I've done a couple of non-Z8 runs, and those I wouldn't do again, the last time I did I saw an idiot in a Murcialago put it into a roadside metal pole making a dumb over taking manouver.
    You have that right Andrew, last week the club went out (not me, to cold for high performance tires and too many potholes) and one fellow made a very expensive ball of tinfoil out of a Murcie.I drive fast but don't do anything stupid like passing on the right at triple digits or driving too close. Addressing the other point you generally don't want to peak the staties interest by showing those red LEDS as you drive past them shooting the radar, hence the remote display down by the shift. You retain plausable deniability then. Joshb

Z8Mania
    Bingo. What I usually do with group runs is ask where they are going and the route- Ill take a different route, show up for lunch or breakfast or whatever, have a nice time and drive home.