Thread: Mother's Z8 cleaning & polish products.

Thumbs up Mother's Z8 cleaning & polish products.

The team at Mother's are car mad, and that passion goes right back into their products, as I just discovered. Norcal knows the guys, and they kindly invited us to park our cars there, and use mine as a demo for their new clay bar.

When we came back after a day running around the track our cars was so smooth and clean we could hardly believe it, talk about service with a smile!

Anyhow after five hours of fog, insects and general road grunge, I sprayed the car down at my local jet wash, and briskly drove the two minutes home to shammy it off as I usually do. By the time I got home almost all the water had rolled right off the car, and what little was left came right off with the shammy, no beading, marking, streaking, and leaving the perfect super gloss shine intact.

This is really good stuff, plus the design and packaging is done by our very own Norcal, so this is not just a great product, it is a Z8 family product in every way.

(PS: look closely at the pictures on the bottles.)

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Nice seeing the Norcal GT3 collection on display too.
    thegunguy

It's nice of Norcal to put a picture of my Red Z8 on the outside of the bottle; that's outstanding.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

You have a grey interior, and white signals too? Yah...well! Notice the emblem between the seats is missing, so as not to stir the sleeping giant.

Once again the team at Mothers took care of all of us Z8'ers on the Oregon Tour, and also a big thanks to the folks at Medford BMW who gave us the use of their cleaning truck. Our team of drivers turned detailers cleaned 11 Z8's and a Daytona in under 90 minutes!

Andrew Macpherson

In other Mothers news, they just created this beautiful award, the Mothers "Brilliance" for the most outstanding restoration at the Rolex Reunion Races, and this year the inaugural winner was this stunning birdcage Maserati once raced by Carroll Shelby.

Andrew Macpherson

Cool award, I must say. The guys at Mothers are the best. True gearheads. Are those your pics of the birdcage? Love the engine bay shot.

Yep, all mine! :-)

I walked around with Jim trying to help him decide which car to give the award to - my vote went to this immaculate 917, it won at Daytona back in its day, and was a total Steve McQueen car. You can't get cooler than that in my book, but Jim just loved the birdcage, so it won!

Andrew Macpherson

OK..Did the three step Mothers cleaner, polish, wax over the week end and the car just looks amazing! Super impressed wth all of these products!

SOrry pics are not the greatest...Kevin

Wow, looks great, and I love those wheels too!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sounds like the California Gold "UWS" (Ultimate wax system" three step process)? Pate wax or liquid? Clay bar first? Great stuff for sure. Car and wheels look sweet.

Z8Mania
    Looking GOOD!

No clay bar...

Mothers:
    1..Pre Wax Cleaner
    2..Sealer Glaze
    3..Pure Carnuba (paste)

Yes "Califoria Gold" Series (I'm sold!)
    Thanks... the wheels and the new Pilot "Super Sports" like 6" Stilettos
    On the right chassis...

the 92 Targa will be next week end...thinking clay bar vs Pre Wax Cleaner?

Kevin

I'm not so sure you shouldn't do both... Clay bar is the @#$%. Baby-butt smooth!

Z8Mania
    Clay bar just adds to the time it takes. If you guys are ever looking for an easy relatively quick daily driver cleaner wax I have had terrific results with Klasse All-In-One.

http://www.amazon.com/Klasse-All-One...7415221&sr=1-1

Its not going to win you a concours but on my daily car for the NE weather we have, I can use it only 1x a year along with periodic (say every 6-8 weeks) washings with speed shine to help give it a little gloss. I prefer to do the car 3x a year with the Klasse because I like how it works. I've used it on other cars when I felt they could benefit from it and I didn't have the time to do the full monte and it really is a terrific product. And it lasts.

I use Klasse All-in-One on my daily driver, but was under the impression it was only for older clearcoats (mine is an '83), and not for newer cars. I also use the polish (the High Gloss Sealant Glaze) after the All-in-One and it really makes a difference. I thought I read that waxing is only part of the job, to protect the paint. It is the polish that makes it shine. Maybe I read it on the bottle. Is that a myth?

Anyway, I get a lot of questions about who restored my car that make me laugh. Most are just surprised that the paint is so shiney on such an old car that has not had a custom repaint. It's the Klasse products, which are very easy to use. If you buff at all it is very light buffing with a microfiber cloth. The All-in-One can be applied with the "schnell" method...put it on wet, wipe it off wet, and just dry the car. The polish recommends a "very thin layer."

If I can ramble a bit, I keep her stock, but for a diehard battery, K&N filter in the airbox and a modern a/c compressor. But her windshield wipers have always been a weak point, noisy and not doing a good job of clearing the water. I just got the new frameless wipers installed and they are fantastic. Dead silent and like a squegee.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    My understanding is that its totally safe and appropriate for modern clear coats. I have zero issues on cars Ive been using the Klasse on for several years.

Whats the daily driver?

Klasse is not a wax... some kind of polymer sealant. Yes "Polish" or "compound" helps smooth the edges on any scratches, therefore you see them less. "Glaze" helps fill any low spots (scratches), again reducing the "appearance" of scratches, and wax is the shiny, protective top coat. Like with any painted surface, it's all about the prep work below, so the final clear top-coat looks like glass.

Z8Mania
    Right- all I know is its like a miracle for my daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    My understanding is that its totally safe and appropriate for modern clear coats. I have zero issues on cars Ive been using the Klasse on for several years.

Whats the daily driver?
    Don't get me started on my baby. She is an all black 1983 BMW 320i with a 5 speed that I bought new and have been driving daily since. A little underpowered, but she has super visibility, drives smooth and taut, and can scoot about anywhere I ask. When you have driven a car this long daily, most of the time it is an extension of your limbs and truly disappears; it is just you and the road.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    Sweet. E21? Mine is a 2011 Alpina B7 SWB RWD. I like the size and power. I have a full set of snows for the winter and I think next go round Ill go with the xDrive.

Correct , e21. Sweet and tough.

Everything I've read about the B7's suggest they are a really nice, refined version of the 7 series with lots of smooth power. You are lucky.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    Its a real nice car. Its actually my favorite car ever. The only driving dynamics gripe I have is under 1800 RPM the power delivery is slightly non linear. Thats it. I just find it sad that the regular 7 doesn't have the same level of suspension tuning and suffers from the crummy run flat tires. I remember when BMW would do the basics right- so you had a good ride and handling and they'd put good tires on the car. Now it seems to me that they are going for a car that is over dampened with big heavy hard as rocks run flat tires that come out of balance real fast. I still admire BMW today but I wish they'd put a little more money into the suspension and go back to regular tires again.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Its a real nice car. Its actually my favorite car ever.
    What? Not your Z8? That might be blasphemy on this site. I'll confess, that my E21 is still my favorite too, maybe because I'm afraid to drive my Z8 with the same spirit as NorCal, or as my Mom says, the E21 is my youth. But shhhhhh, let's not tell anyone else on this site about our little secret.
    Charles Guerin

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    What? Not your Z8? That might be blasphemy on this site.
    It all depends where I am. My 2009 X5 Diesel used to be my favorite car ever. High driving position (important in the LA freeway jungle), excellent fuel mileage (for what it was), torque like a locomotive and good handling (again, for what it was). I just got a 2012 X5 Diesel two weeks ago to replace it and guess what my favorite car ever is; again for the same reasons.

I also have an 88' e24 M6, an 89' 750iL and 98' M3 (all of which I've had since new), which are excellent drivers, particularly the M3. BUT, for cruising from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara on PCH or blasting through those wonderful winding roads that Andrew takes us on, guess which is my favorite car to drive. Oh, and its not even close.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Sounds like a harem. What a wonderful collection. I guess we can prefer different cars for different reasons without losing our love for any of them.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    I should have said- the B7 is my favorite daily driver I've ever had. The Z8 is a wonderful toy. It can be used daily- but its still a toy. Bitz does have a wonderful harem

Sport Button On
    Just had my black Vantage V8 detailed. Thought I'd share a picture. Had the Z8 done too. Miracle Detail is the name and is it justified!!!

Name:  DSC03037.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  109.8 KB

Wowza, that is a mirror if ever I saw one!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    WOW!!!!!!!!! That really is a mirror. Amazing.

Do not look at a freshly detailed black car for too long, it will be like a Siren's song and will drag you onto the rocks of purchasing a black car! IMHO black cars (I have owned four) are the most beautiful cars the moment you have just cleaned it, but it seems that within minutes of that freshly shined car feeling it attracts dust/dirt etc.....and you wonder why you ever purchased a black car or four of them...
    Last edited by Ouray; October 22nd 2013 at 01:03. Reason: duplicated by accident

Z8Mania
    True! But I'll never go back....

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    You can clean them every day. Last sunday I had 300 mls trip and it looks.......terrible.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Z8Mania
    Color is such a personal thing but to me black is THE color for the car because it emphasizes the elegance of the car.

Absolutely personal, but for me black MUST have a contrasting interior.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Total agreement otherwise its too monotone- except maybe on certain daily cars.

I think you're all blinded by jungle fever, silver's clearly the best color because it's German, it's easy to live with and it photographs the best! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Absolutely personal, but for me black MUST have a contrasting interior.
    I must disagree! Solid crema all the way!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I just meant not black inside.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    When the Z8 came out I loved it in both black and silver, I wasn't sure about blue and red. Over the years I have come to appreciate it in every color. I think it looks great in them all. My preference still is for black but thats just life. I also like vanilla ice cream and others like chocolate or strawberry (OK sometimes Ill go for some strawberry )

Mothers are really good products. I also have had good success with Zymöl products as a top layer polish. They really make the car look very wet and glossy.

- - - Updated - - -

When the Z8 came out I loved it in both black and silver, I wasn't sure about blue and red. Over the years I have come to appreciate it in every color. I think it looks great in them all. My preference still is for black but thats just life. I also like vanilla ice cream and others like chocolate or strawberry (OK sometimes Ill go for some strawberry )

Mothers are really good products. I also have had good success with Zymöl products as a top layer polish. They really make the car look very wet and glossy.