Thread: Garage lift and potential problem

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Garage lift and potential problem

Something to think about. I recently had a lift installed in my garage, the Z8 has the upper berth. Any of you Z8 owners that may be doing the same I suggest having one of the drip pans under the vent tube for the battery. I have never noticed anything coming out of the tube but I suspect its there for a reason and it would be a shame to have battery acid drip on the vehicle below.
    Different subject, new hats should be leaving by the end of the week via UPS ground. Enjoy.
    Pandaman

Thanks for the tip, and most of all for the hats, you are the best!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Hi Pandaman,

Good tip indeed and a big thank you for the new hats!
    I am thinking about getting a lift in my garage as well so care to share what lift (brand) you got and was it easy to install or did you have it installed?

Cheers,
    Henny

This could be a good reason to switch to a sealed gel battery that is much more reliable and stable.

How about a pic of the lift?
    thegunguy

Thanks D. What lift? I'm still on the fence.

I have a Rotary brand lift which is the maker of most of the lifts in the maintenance bays of the dealers in my area. It is a 110V unit that can be converted to 220V.

I had it installed by a pro but did not have it bolted down as I wanted to be able to roll it around on the included castor set as I use it for service as well as storage.

It also came with 3 drip pans and a jack tray.

The eight is on top with my daily driver below.

One of the best investments that I have in my garage.

Everyone is welcome to drop by and take a look.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Scott, is it a four post? Which model? Pics? I went to their site, looks really good. I might take you up on coming out to see yours.

Yep, it is a four post, 8K LB lift.

It is actually a Direct Lift Pro Park. Direct Lift is owned by Rotary using Rotary's Factory in China and built with Rotary's steel to their specs. Some years back, Rotary realized that in order to compete with the imports, they would need to build a factory in Asia. They made a smart decision to buy an existing company and retool it instead of reinventing the wheel.

I have had it for about a year and have had absolutely zero problems.

Let me know when you want to see it. I'll get Fred Kern over here and we can run by the Roadhouse for bite and a beer.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The Lift I purchased is the Gemini lift. Not a real impressive web site www.geminilift.com I'm very pleased but I will have to tell you I haven't had it very long. Back Yard Buddy is suppose to be one of the best but there negative advertising completely turns me off. I called them and told them so. I would probably do without something if my only choice was to do business with a company that has to continually bad mouth the competition. Prior to purchasing the lift I was able to meet two old timers (that means there about my age) that do nothing but install lifts all over the country. They install for Back Yard Buddy, lifts from China, Gemini and others. They even came to my garage to see if I needed to make any modifcations. My purchase decision was made after asking questions and talking to these folks for about an hour.
    Had mine done in red and it looks great in the garage.
    Hope to see you all in Germany come Sept.
    Pandaman

Sport Button On
    Thanks for the new hats!
    -dave

Pandaman,

I agree with you completely regarding BB's advertising ethics.

If their product is so great, why don't they focus on that instead of what they perceive as flaws in their competitors product. It makes me wonder if they are hiding something.

When someone comes in to my school and asks about another school, I say absolutely nothing negative about them. It's one of the things that helps sell my program.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Novice
    I have a Direct Lift myself and I'm glad you mentioned the battery acid issue, I have a Ferrari 599 that is usually below it that would be unhappy if acid rained on her! I included a picture with the 599 on top,a nd an old one with my 550 too.
    Geoff

Z8 Novice
    I also made myself some custom ramp holders that are mounted om the side wall behind the lift, you can see a bit them to the right of the first picture, its made of diamond plate aluminum that I also mounted a halon fire extinguisher and a air hose reel to. I bought the aluminum ramps as they weigh half of the standard ones. The company in Riverside were great to deal with.
    Geoff

Why not leave them on the lift? It looks like you have the room.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black