Thread: Beyern Mesh Wheels

Sport Button On

Beyern Mesh Wheels

I am still on the look out for a nice set of wheels for my Black/crema/black 2003 Z8.
    Saw the picture lately of the 20" Beyern Mesh wheels and like them a lot.

It looks I can get a good deal in Holland for these wheels; ?2.800,00 for the wheels including Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Tyres (Bear in mind this includes 19% Sales Tax).

My dealer told me that these wheels are also available in 19"; same design etc. and only 8% cheaper.

May I have your thoughts please?

Thanks in advance.

If you aren't changing the suspension to the Alpina set up I'd get the 19" rims, the 20"'s will ride more harshly, and put your front shock towers dangerously in the line of fire should you hit a pot hole, bridge join etc..
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The discussion of wheel "taste" is such a personal one, but I do think that 19" are generally the best size for the car form an all-around perspective.

You may also want to try to do a mock up of your car with the wheels as different color cars respond to some wheels where other colors just don't work at all.
    thegunguy

The Beyern Mesh, Type 5 or the multi spoke do come in 19" wheels but that size does not have the requisite 20mm offset (ET: 20) that the 20" rims do. According to Beyern when I spoke to them before purchasing my Type 5 wheels, the 20" is meant to be a direct replacement wheel for the 20" Alpina wheel or the 18" OEM Z8 wheels (LA Wheel) and hence has the exact same size, width, and offset as the OEM sizes. If you go with the 19", you may need hubcentric spacers.

Also, I have had the 20" rims for quite a while and several thousand miles but with the Dinan Stage 3 (includes castor plates) and I also have the performance package and have no problems with the frame and my ride is very comfortable, even on the rough Oklahoma roads. I would get at least the performance package if getting the 20" rims and for sure dump the runflat tires as those are widely thought to be the biggest problem with shock tower deformation. (just be sure to get the mobility kit in case of a flat.)
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On
    Thanks for your feedback! I think I will go 20" and non run-flat Michelin Pilot Sports. I have talked to Alpina today and they feel the Alpina suspension is not strictly necessary when you mount the 20" rims. Maybe our European roads are better than your roads. By the way I was suprised that the cost for the Alpina suspension Kit is ?1780,00 incl Tax. To me this sounds more than reasonable. I think I will start without the Kit and see how things go. My car has the performance package from the day it was available. Once I have the wheels on my car I will post some pictures.

Thanks again, Best Regards, Frank

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Hello Frank,

I used to have the Alpina rims on my Z8 (however with AC Schnitzer suspension) and they were to harsh. sold them and now have the M6 19 inch rims and feel big difference in how the car handles short little bumps (on Dutch roads).
    good luck

i would have suspected that the harshness was mostly from the AC Schnitzer suspension, did simply switching from 20" Alpina wheels to the 19" M6 wheel really make a huge difference? I know the 19" wheels are a bit lighter but would not have expected a huge difference. I notice the largest difference in the compliance of the ride and the biggest boost to handling when I got rid of the run flat tires. Going from 18" OEM wheels with non run flat tires (bridgestone S03 pole positions) to 20" Type 5 Beyern's with MSP2s was not a big difference in the overall ride and is still reasonably pleasant except on the harshest of Oklahoma roads but a definite improvement in handling is present and as such, I personally like my 20" wheels on non-run flat tires. However, my next tire may be either the Pirelli Zeros (I like the way they fit the rear wheels better on Macfly's silver car) or maybe some of the newer Dunlops, but do not know anyone who has tried those.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Made a huge difference coming from 20" to 19" with the AC Schnitzer set

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Frank View Post
    I am still on the look out for a nice set of wheels for my Black/crema/black 2003 Z8.
    Saw the picture lately of the 20" Beyern Mesh wheels and like them a lot.

It looks I can get a good deal in Holland for these wheels; ?2.800,00 for the wheels including Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Tyres (Bear in mind this includes 19% Sales Tax).

My dealer told me that these wheels are also available in 19"; same design etc. and only 8% cheaper.

May I have your thoughts please?

Thanks in advance.
    That is actually my car, and the wheels are a pretty good deal. I didn't have to pay 18% in sales tax though. I would go with the 20"s, they look better, plus they will accomodate the large Brembo's like I have if you ever want them. I hardly noticed much of a difference in ride quality when I installed them. Hope that helps, Geoff