Thread: Phones, Ipods & Stereo!

Phones, Ipods & Stereo!

Hi Z8 fans. Can you help?

I have often wondered if it is possible to insert an external audio device (ipod etc) into the stereo. Do you know what connections are on the rear? As the option to select ?aux. input? from the control panel doesn?t exist I doubt there are any. I suppose if the CD changer inputs can be accessed, this might be a way in.

The other thing I would love to sort out is the old Motorola flip phone. Has anybody managed to upgrade, modify or replace the phone with something that still works with the car? The ideal device would be some sort of bluetooth device. I think I may have to dream on here.

Oh Yes! One more thing. In the UK we Say Z(sed) in the States I believe it?s Z(see). So is the car a Z(ed) 8 or a Z(ee) 8?

Colin.

iPods etc.

I have tried to use the little Griffin Travelmate iPod attachment that 'broadcasts' an FM signal to your radio. It doesn't work that well, and it makes the already mediocre stereo sound aweful.

I think if you really want a hardwire link the phone line would be a good input route into the stereo, but you'll need an expert in these things to do the fitting. As for the phone itself I have never even used it, I just use my regular cell phone if I need to. I didn't think it was worth having another phone bill for the car. I rarely want to talk when driving the Z8, the car is my escape from all that!

As an ex-pat I have had to train myself to say Zee 8. Kinda like aluminum and aluminium, or tomaeto and tomarto! I think in Germany they also call it a Zee 8, but of course we know it's really a Zed 8!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I think if your vehicle is a girl, its a "Zee" and if its a boy its a "Zed"

Mines a beautiful woman, and Im lucky to have one of the early ones with the GB voice instead of the USA voice. Its a lovely woman's voice- "proceed on to the motorway" instead of "get on the highway, you dope!"

as to ipod, Andrew has it right- the problem with the FM transmitters is not so much with them, but its their required weak signals and the Z8s very poorly setup radio antenna. I think either Soundgate or Blitzsafe make products to connect different audio devices, but you need to work with a custom installer or really be comfortable doing this kind of work. The low tech solution to this is turn the radio off and listen to the exhaust

Thanks for your comments. I just wondered if any one has pulled the Radio head out & noticed what sockets are on the rear. If the CD changer input has a multi pin connector, it should be possible to find out what connections carry the left & right audio signals, then fit a switchable jack that would interrupt the signal whenever something was plugged in. Better still if it had 2 RCA connectors it would be a piece of cake.

I guess I?ll forget the phone.

Mines definitely A Girl, But it?s a Zed.

Who would you most like to be the voice of the GPS. How about Dina Rae from Eminem?s ?Superman?!!!

Did anyone ever solve the Ipod hook-up issue? The reality is that I dislike the stereo and nav set-up. The NAV, in particular, is so prehistoric and cumbersome, that I never use it. I am toying withthe idea of pulling the whole unit out and getting someone to start from scatch -- full audio, Ipod, NAV set up. Any ideas?

Z8Mania
    There was someone from Europe who posted a thread over at roadfly. He is using an Europe available Alpine head unit that has the same size (1-DIN) head unit as stock and it even hooks up to the stock nav antenna. I will try to locate this thread for you, but it may be a few days...

That would be fantastic - thanks.

Z8Mania
    Here's the thread:

I changed the audio head unit for a Alpine IN 333 R . This unit has sat nav MP3 DAB TMC etc etc and is the best thing ever. The DVD nav disc has the whole of Europe on it and the sound quality is just fantastic. Better still, The 6 disc CD/MP3 changer is exactly the same fitting as the OEM unit (both made by Alpine) so to return to the original system would take no more than an hour. No cables were cut in the install with the new head unit even utilising the OEM amps.

The New Din sized unit has the DVD Sat Nav disc loaded into it so you can even leave the OEM Sat drive in place behind the seat.

And the best bit....The colour of the illumination could not be a better match to the BMW orange, it is perfect.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/z8/4826269-1.html

simple ipod solution

As you know, BMW has come out with an ipod kit for the 3 and 5 series. As an experiment, I asked my dealer to try hook it up to my Z8 in place of the CD changer connection. This proved surprisingly easy to do. Since I don't use the BMW phone, I had them run the connection under the center console, emerging where the phone cord does (or used to emerge). The whole effort took an hour labor, and the part cost $150. The connection also charges the ipod when the car is running, and -- yes -- stops charging when the car is off. All good.

One qualification and one tip.

Qualification: While the CD controls on the stereo operate the ipod in the 3 and 5 series, they are NOT compatible with the Z8's stereo because they transmit data using a T bus standard, rather than a K bus. I don't know what this means, but pass it along for those who do. This means that you need to control the ipod directly.

Tip: That said, I found a cool solution. Because the hook up works off the bottom of the ipod, the headphone hook up remains available to you. For those of you who have a regular ipod (not the mini), you also have the cool little cord for the headphones that include the mini-contorls. I have simply connected that part of the cord to the top of the ipod, and let the piece come out of the phone compartment, where I can operate my ipod to my heart's content. $250 and voila!

One last tip -- keep the volume on the ipod at 70%, and then control the volume through the stereo; this maximizes the range of volume you can get and minimizes distortion.

Now if only I had a real NAV system, and better speakers....

Z8 Novice

i-pod connection

who was the dealer installing the i-pod connection. the local dealer in scottsdale, az was unable to do it.

The Simple Solution

Hi Z8 fans,

Just to let you know that I've found out how to do it. I should have taken a Photo or two & made a note of the colours of the cables etc, really!

Anyway, on removing the head unit you will notice a small connector with 4 (white) cables. These are the stereo audio feeds from the CD changer. Now if you chop them & wire to a switched Jack socket, with nothing plugged in, the audio from the CD changer is still connected. As soon as a stereo jack is inserted this disconnects the CD audio & your Zen/iPod/whatever is fed to the head instead.

Now if I can just get the phone upgrade to work out!!

Colin

For a great iPod connection....

Check out the post that I just made for the IceLink connection under this same heading, new thread. It works great !

Happy Listening -

Jeff
    Z8doc

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Someone asked me a question that should be obvious and I went duh. Does the Z8 have DSP? I know my Z4 does, but don't recall any controls artsy enough for DSP in the 8?

I don't know what DSP is....

and I was hoping someone would answer so we'd be enlightened!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Digital Signal Processing

DSPs serve many functions in today?s electronics, but generally in audio the acronym refers to a chip or group of chips that uses an algorithm to "process/es" audio signals to produce a lifelike sound field from a set number of speakers. In a normal ?stereo? model there are two sound sources or channels (generally left and right speakers). So, with stereo, you have sound coming at you from two points in space (I?m ignoring reflections of walls, etc.). By mixing the sound (adjusting the levels and balance) the two-channel model can produce a pretty accurate representation of the original recording.

Even with four or more speakers in cars these days, we?re still normally listening to the two-channel stereo model. If you add a DSP into the mix, it can adjust the levels and the timing (creates delay/reverb) to make two-channels sound very life like, making it seem like sound is coming from places where you don?t even have speakers. Cars with DSP generally allow you to adjust the size and location of the sound stage (to drive, front passengers, rear passengers, etc.) or even recreate sound stages such as theater, arena, jazz club, etc. The DSP?s algorithms can really surround you with sound while making it seem like vocals or lead instruments are in front of you. Check out the rain on ?Riders on the Storm? ? way cool!

But, there are limitations to what two speakers and DSP can do. In real-life, we have sound firing at us from 360 degrees, not just two speakers. So to better reproduce the sound from original recordings, you can add more channels and speakers. Thus, many of us now have six or more channel home theater systems. Most DVDs are coded with six discrete channels (AKA 5.1 ? center, left/right front, left/right surround, and low-effects), and the DSP sends each channel to the appropriate speaker. The DSP in your home theater can also simulate near six-channel performance from two-channel sources such as older movies, VHS tapes, CDs, etc. through the use of algorithms such as Dolby Prologic and DTS Neo 6 with pretty amazing results. It?s really amazing how Prologic (esp PL II) and Neo 6 can move vocals from CDs from somewhere in the front of the room to tight spot several feet in front of the listener. I often wonder, ?how do it know??

Mollyshark - For the terms of your question, no the Z8 audio system does not have DSP. I assume your question is in reference to determining the iceLink model for your car. The DSP question from Dension is trying to determine if you have the HK Logic 7, which is a ?branded? DSP that BMW is now using. Seeing as how we installed the iceLink for you yesterday afternoon, I assume this is no longer a issue.

Now for my disclaimer ? I?m no electronic or sound engineer. My explanation above is merely based on my enthusiasm for home theater and music in general. So, if I got something wrong, so be it, but this gives a pretty fair explanation of DSP and sound models.
    thegunguy