Thread: Z8 Rear badge.

Z8 Novice

Z8 Rear badge.

My Z8 does not have a "Z8" motif below the rear trunk lid. Should it ? I have looked at several pictures in books and brochures and some do and some don't.
    Michaelc
    AF79488
    Silver, sport red/black.

As I recall, there were some early cars used in marketing that had the badge, but production cars didn't include it. I may be off here, but someone will likely chime in with the full explanation.

Some owners have added the badge, but it's not to my liking. A nice clean roundel is all that's needed.
    thegunguy

If I remember correctly it was planned as the only option on the car in Germany during the very early days, but it was withdrawn very early on, and never made available in other markets. The Z8 Club actually bought up all the left over Z8 badges, and put them on very handsome leather bound photo books, which you can see in the second picture here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

BMW's reasoning for not using an exterior badge is that the Z8 is unique and it needs no "introduction".

Besides, the round badge that is used between the seats would look UGLY on the exterior.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Now that we have the benefit of a few years to test BMW's reasoning, I think they missed the mark. Don't get me wrong, I like the clean badgeless look. But of all the people that pull up beside me at the stop light and shout "nice car" or the equivalent, approximately 98% of them follow with "what is it?" or the alternate "the new Z4, right?". In my opinion, and I'm sure this is a regional problem, our car is unknown or forgotten by the public. I've even read at least one forum discussion amongst auto enthusiasts entitled "why no love for the Z8?".

I really couldn't care less who knows what model it is. I drive it for me. It's stunningly beautiful. It doesn't matter what alphabet soup people want to assign it.

The "public" never knew the car anyway. Enthusiasts recognize it all the time. The "public" often thought my Lotus was built by Ford. Let the ignorant remain in their bliss.

For fun, I like telling people it's a prototype for future consideration.
    thegunguy

For those that want it, the Z8 badge is readily available!

I bought two a few months back from my local BMW dealer. I put one of them on my toolbox. I'm not sure what I'll do with the other one, but it will definitely NOT go anywhere on my Z8.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Madness
    I got mine from the local DMV office
    Name:  plate.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  125.8 KB
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    For fun, I like telling people it's a prototype for future consideration.
    Great idea! Can I use it too?

Sure, but it's one beer per use.

Perfect excuse for a meetup. Z8s and debt payment.
    thegunguy

DSC Off

It's a matter of personal prference....

......I purchased the Z8 badge from my local dealer several years ago after some fine person on this board gave me the parts number. I'm probably one of the few on this board who has the badge on their car. To me, the car looked somehow incomplete or anonymous without the badge. In addition, it saves me from constantly telling folks "it's a Z8". My experience has been that nearly everyone really likes the looks of the car...but very few know what it is....so I figure it's a cheap form of publicity for the car. At the end of the day, it's really just one of MANY different mods you can do to the car.

Can we see a picture?

Here's an unusual placement of the Z8 badge that I found online. I'm not sure what to say so I won't say anything.

Hate to tell ya, that's not a Z8 badge. It is just a letter and number. The only "badge" made was the round one that is installed between the seats (and later modified by Alpina).

From a purists standpoint, sticking those on the door has detracted from the designers tribute to the Austin Healy marque that is designed into the door.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am gonna look away now.

Sorry.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Can we see a picture?
    Lisa, you can see the badge clearly on the Bond car, shown here in BMW's Mobile Tradition Collection during the inaugural Z8 Club weekend.

Andrew Macpherson

It was all about advertising.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Team Z8

There are probably copyright issues...

but it would be cool if someone could make a BMW roundel with "Z8" in place of the blue and white. I never cared for the blue and white badge and masked it on my car with the carbon graphite decals from a BMW parts and accessory shop.

Hello to all, i have the Z8 badge or numbers on my car. I ordered them from BMW three years ago from my dealer in Phoenix. The cost was around $30. I was told that only the European Z8 have them on the rear, they just stick on like the Z4 emblem. I love mine, it stops a lot of questions. Chuck

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LKYCHUK View Post
    Hello to all, i have the Z8 badge or numbers on my car. I ordered them from BMW three years ago from my dealer in Phoenix. The cost was around $30. I was told that only the European Z8 have them on the rear, they just stick on like the Z4 emblem. I love mine, it stops a lot of questions. Chuck
    I kinda like to keep them guessing. Amazing how many people say they never even heard of the car. But they ALL LOVE IT.

Same goes for my red GTS which came with the rear model designation delete option. I routinely hear "nice Ferrari".

---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Always had a soft spot for those - lovely car!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Always had a soft spot for those - lovely car!!
    Thank you Andrew,

Was my dream car growing up in the 80's. I recall many a night in the library hitting the books while my buddies were out lovin life, thinking "someday".

Well, someday came 6 years ago
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

BMW as also other manufacturers offer in Germany the free option to deliver a new car without the model badge at the rear. Most people take that option, because they don't want to show what engine they have. Mostly you see that being done by owners of cars with strong engines. While I am now living already more than 12 years in the States, I asked the BMW dealer to take off the badges on my former 545i and current 335i, because I don't like the letter/number stuff somewhere at the rear of the car. I understand the problem with the questions. Therefore I opted for the personal license plate, which reads: ZEE 8. this together with the BMW logo should take care of most questions. The white-blue logo is a statement of tradition and shows the heritage of our cars. The sky over Bavaria is white-blue and these colors were used by the Wittelsbacher family (Bavarian royal heritage) in their code of arms. A BMW is only original with the correct BMW logo.

Hermann (the German) Schaller
    60078 - silver // black

Nice choice for a plate!

I have the same plate, with a Euro plate in the front. It answers the question before its asked.Name:  Europlate-web.gif
Views: 65
Size:  146.3 KB

What I learned from this thread is that

the other Z8 owners are a bunch of grumpy old men that hate it when people ask about their cars.

I personally love it when someone asks what it is (happens all the time). That gives me chance to tell them all about my baby.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Having an ALPINA the letting is under the badge. I cannot tell you how many times people have asked me what an Alpina is and "is that a new model that BMW has just released?" Guess it really is a timeless model as people on the east coast always think it is a new car.