Thread: New Member

Sport Button On

Greetings. My first Z8 sits in my garage today for the first time. Silver/Black 2001 60284. Many thanks to KenZ8 for initially drawing me into the Z8 world, for helping locate a wonderful vehicle near us here in central Texas, and the education/handholding as I transitioned from admirer to owner. Looking forward to meeting more Z8 enthusiasts along the way. Have lots more to learn about the car, and anticipate a fruitful journey with lots of driving pleasure and eye candy along the way.

Mark

Welcome! And relax, once the grin subsides you'll get fewer bugs in your teeth.

Z8 Madness
    Congrats & welcome. Don't forget to share pics.
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On

Pics added

I'm a better enthusiast than photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    once the grin subsides you'll get fewer bugs in your teeth.
    The grin subsides?? never!
    Enjoy it- can't wait to get the cousins together for some photos.

Congratulations and welcome!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Enjoy

I get the same reaction to the car from people on the street and highway today that I got 8-1/2 years ago the day I first picked up #436. The smiles never stop.

Jay in Southeast Florida
    Z8 #436
    License Plate: MYBMW Z8
    Eisenmann Mufflers
    Dinan Performance Software

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar
    Welcome to a wonderful world.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Congratulations and welcome!
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

LLZ8

Newer member

I got my Z8 (siver/red/black) one month ago and I have been addicted to this website since. Great info. Love reading all the threads.

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Welcome. Glad you are enjoying your Z8. They are amazing cars.

Welcome! It may take a while for the smile to disappear, but you'll enjoy every minute of ownership.
    Be advised, though, you will have to get used to delays in your daily schedule. For example, this weekend I checked out of a Tucson hotel and it took no less tan 45 minutes from the time I had the car loaded till I could pull away from the front door. There was a constant stream of people taking pics, kids asking questions (parents joining in), people wanting to see under the hood (more than once but for different folks), and other bimmerphiles who had not seen the car before. I even got an offer from someone to buy it.
    These cars captivate people and is all part of the Z8/ALPINA experience. They simply don't ever see them. They always seem to be sporting a smile themselves as they find it a pleasant surprise every time they see one.
    Enjoy your Z8 to the fullest.

Your observation about folks never seeing them is interesting. I can't tell you how many Z8's seem to be sold out of Arizona. Primarily, it seems, Scottsdale.

It would be fun to track the demographics of folks who pause to admire cars. I have 4 cars that are from different eras, Brass, Vintage/ Foreign, Classic American Muscle and Exotic / Muscle (Z8). The demographic that stops to admire each of them is really surprising.

In your case, who asked what and what did they want to see?

Just curious.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

The demographics and the questions covered just about everything you can imagine. Even the Valets surprised me. As I was walking to the car one time, one valet said "I had to go in and look it up on the internet". One of the hotel workers (not a valet) yelled at me from 80 feet away, "375 hp?". Took me a minute to figure out he was talking to me and what he was doing...it was like an impromptu ALPINA Roadster V8 specs quiz. Then he shouted "386 lb/ft of torque?". I confirmed both of his "guesses" with and he grew a great smile on his face. He said he looked it up on the internet once he saw it in the valet parking. Actually, I think he would have kept going except I was accosted by one of the other folks I mentioned earlier.
    Anyway, these are my observations from just this one instance:
    The 10-16 yr old kids took pictures; asked to look inside and under the bonnet, took pics of both the interior and the engine bay. You could see the delight in their eyes. Seemed like they didn't think anyone owning this car would ever stop to talk to them, answer their questions and take the time to open the bonnet - just for them. They also wanted to know how fast it would go (161mph) and how fast I'd been in it. Basically the questions you'd expect a kid to ask. they were very nice kids.
    The 30-50 yr old adults ranged from comments on how beautiful the car is to taking pics of the interior and asked me to open the bonnet (more pictures). Some of these folks have their own BMWs - ranging from Z3, Z4, and M5 - at least those are the ones I heard about. The one guy who wanted to buy it falls into this demographic. He has a small collection which includes a '66 GT-40, some Ferrari (can't remember which model) and a few other collector cars. I know this to be true because he is a guy I've known for some time, but he didn't know I had the ALPINA. Matter of fact, he had bid on a couple of Z8s in some auction a few weeks ago, but said when one went over $132K he bailed. He was very knowledgeable too because he asked me about the PP kit and wanted to see what all it entails (another raising of the bonnet). I thought I'd tell him about Andrew's site so he can check in case one comes up in the For Sale section that might interest him.
    The 60+ folks just commented on how beautiful the car is. They mostly just seemed to admire it and didn't ask much about it other than "What model is it?"
    Matter of fact, that is probably the most asked question from all demographics.
    One other observation, the 20-30 yr old demographic never seems to say anything (unless they're at a car event or something). They're either too busy, too embarrassed, too proud or something - I've never quite put my finger on it. However, they do take the time for an admiring look - they just don't want you to know and they certainly won't admit it in a crowd.
    Well, that's my synopsis of just this one encounter. As most of you know, this happens nearly anytime you're out in the car. I've even had this happen at freeway speeds. Ha Ha!...the stories I could tell about some of those encounters.

Great read, thanks!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I know how you feel except for me it happens with the Morgan. It is my daily driver and today alone I was stopped 5 or 6 times and asked about the car. In fact, one time it was a Z4 that pulled up along side me at a light and I then followed him to a parking lot where we talked for about 15 minutes-mostly giving him tips on his Z4 and some mods that he wanted to do.

About lifting the Z8's hood; I once had a gorgeous, voluptuous, curvy...get the picture, ask me to lift my hood and as I started to bite my lip to keep from sayin' "if you show me yours I'll show you mine", I caught a glimpse of her Neanderthal boyfriend walking up behind me. Glad I bit my tongue.

I agree with your observation about the 20 somethings. I don't think that they realize what they are looking at so they see an unfamiliar car and dumb up. Roadster folks who are familiar with cars of the 50's and 60's both American and Euro built seem to either know the car or look at it with this "I know that I have seen one but what is it" and when i explain the E series and Austin Healy influence they usually smile and nod in recognition.

When I was showing the car, I would lay a pic of Brosnan standing next to his from the "World Is Not Enough" on the seat and folks would get excited. Since my car is the same color, folks would always ask if that was my car that was cut in half in the movie. Made me smile.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Madness
    Enjoy reading these stories

Thanks for sharing.
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off

even the knobs are sexy

About a year ago I was walking up to my car parked at a shopping center and I noticed this lady about 70 plus in years (just a couple ahead of me) walking around my car. She said to me, young man is this your car, I answered yes, she responded well I know nothing about cars but this is beautful and what was really cute she pointed at the controls on the dash and commented that even the knobs are sexy.
    Makes one feel good.

Pandaman

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    About a year ago I was walking up to my car parked at a shopping center and I noticed this lady about 70 plus in years (just a couple ahead of me) walking around my car. She said to me, young man is this your car, I answered yes, she responded well I know nothing about cars but this is beautful and what was really cute she pointed at the controls on the dash and commented that even the knobs are sexy.
    Makes one feel good.

Pandaman
    Was it that she called you "young man" or that she liked your sexy knobs that made you feel good?

Z8Mania
    My experience is the same as yours and I think the 20-30 year olds have just gotten out of college, have spent years in academia where they get it pounded into their heads that cars are evil. I think they just are not into cars. Until they make some money in their 30s and then they remember their youth and then a car like the Z8 will look good to them. Except they can't afford it because they are paying 70% taxes due to the very people they were duped into voting for in their misguided youth...

If you have any weekend drives coming up in Texas or surrounding states let the forum know. There are now 4 Z8's in Tulsa Oklahoma that I am aware of that might make the trip.

Austin, TX
    hey mark, i'm in downtown austin. feel free to drop me a line if you are ever in town. 512-944-5216

Just a heads up, ZFest, an event that is put on by the BMW-Z Series Car Club of America and is made up of Z1, Z3, Z4 and Z8's, will be coming to Texas over Labor Day weekend 2011.

Although this years event is on the current website, next years event will be at the same web address:

www.zfest.com

www.zscca.org
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On
    Quote Originally Posted by candersoh View Post
    hey mark, i'm in downtown austin. feel free to drop me a line if you are ever in town. 512-944-5216
    Thanks, Chris. I would love to carve a few curves out west of Austin. I imagine KenZ8 would love to join us.

Mark

DSC Off

Too many reactions to recall.....

Over the past 7 years I have had so many comments and experiences its hard to remember everything.

1) Caused a wreck once when guy in front of me got out of his car at a red light...had a pistol strapped to his hip (evidently legal in NC), walked back to my car and simply said it was beautifuland wanted to look at it. Several cars behind us witnessed all this activity and someoene got backended.
    2) Had some teens run up to me once when I got off interstate who had said they had been following me...insisted I shake hands with them and asked me about car.
    3) Have had NUMEROUS folks ask me if car was new? (I think Fisker made a classic)
    4) Had one lass who drove a Z4 (and I believe was hitting on me) walk around car and ask me " does it fly too?"
    5) Had NUMEROUS folks (mostly punks) pull up next to me and rev engine trying to race me
    6) Nearly everytime I drive it...someone makes a comment.....what is it? How do I like it? Have I raced it?????
    7) Also recall one lady who gave me the finger......was in the Blue Ridge Mountain area of NC and I think it was more of an FU rich guy sentiment.

Bottom line is that many people respond very strongly to this car (positively or negatively)....blame exclusivity....blame BMW cache.....blame Fisker for what I think is a timeless design. The car really is awesome....yes it has flaws...but damn it is a great owning experience. Nuff said.

About the oddest encounter I had happened SOCal when I was headed to Laguna Beach on the Costa Mesa Fwy (I think) a few miles before reaching the John Wayne airport in Orange County. I had the top down and was wearing sunglasses and had a brimmed hat pulled down low to shade me from the sun. In my rear view mirror I noticed a pickup truck weaving through traffic at higher speed than the rest of the traffic. I just thought it was someone in a big hurry and expected them to pass me in short order. When the truck finally got within a couple of car lengths, it slowed down to match my speed. Then it began to move left and right from lane to lane spending a minute or two in each. It appeared whoever was on board was simply looking at the car from every angle they could. After a few miles they decided to pass. As the truck slowly passed me, I noticed there was a small, young lady in the truck by herself. She appeared to be straining to soak up as much of the car as she could while she slowly passed. I nodded to her, smiled and gave a brief wave. She proceeded to move ahead until it was clear she had maneuver room where she, again moved from lane to lane looking at the car in her rear view mirrors.
    The next thing that happened is what really took me by surprise. The passenger window magically rolled down...I could see her head as she moved to the center of the seat and I noticed her head dropped a bit till she could barely see over the dashboard. The next thing I saw was her outstretched hand pop out the window clutching a small digital camera which she shoved out the passenger window. She then began snapping pics. After a couple of minutes, she brought the camera in, rolled up the window and sped away. I was struck dumb and laughed all the way to Laguna.

really funny stories!!

You can't imagine how usual is to see a big smile and a very surprised face (sometimes I have a feeling I'm an alien) driving my Z8.
    I've never seen (NEVER) one around here. I live near to Barcelona, Spain.
    People ask me. Is this the last BMW?? Which model is is it?? ...and a lot of funny questions.
    BCNZ8 AF79457
    Silver-Black