Thread: New Z8 owner as of today #61233

New Z8 owner as of today #61233

Ok the first post is a test as this site in the past says I'm logged on then dumps my laboriously produced message produced by my time consuming hunt and peck typing into some computer pergatory.

Looks fine to me. Welcome. Post some pics please.

Congrats and welcome!
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

cant seem to post, got dumped 2x

I log in , spend 15 min typing then when I submit the forum says I am not logged on, I dont get it. Well a few drinks should quiet the carpal tunnel syndrome
    Joshb
    2002 silver red/black

quick specs for the Beast as it is now officially named23k, pristine cond, I am the 3rd owner. It has everthing that came with the car originally PLUS

Dinan stage three software, airboxes, caster plates
    strut brace
    supersprint exhaust
    HRE lightweight 19'' mags with TOYO tires
    custom billet machined short shift kit
    alpine9886 radio w ipod /bluetooth/xm adapters
    pedal kit

next year headers and stoptech brakes, this year I need those blue led running lights
    will post picks eventually. Thanks again Andrew for all your help. and all you guys who posted all the great info I used to find this car

Welcome, happy to have you on board!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

A couple of questions

Spent my first few days with the car, down from New Hampshire to NY then out to the Hamptons and back to West Point NY. put about 600 miles on her.
    Just throwing a few questions for you Z philes out there;
    1)What is usual oil consumption for reasonable driving?
    2)The owners manual does not address the front fog lights, am I missing something?
    3)Has anyone taken out the original phone and tapped the cord to run accesories like a radar detector or a phone charger? Its somewhat distracting running wth the drivers side compartment open to access the cig lighter.
    4) who should I contact to get the blue leds for the front running lights?

ps 5) do I have to go through bmw to get the battery minder or is there a line from someone in the club?

1)What is usual oil consumption for reasonable driving?
    On you VIN it should be minimal, maybe 1 pint per 1,000 miles

2)The owners manual does not address the front fog lights, am I missing something?
    The foglight switch is just below the light switch, set in the leather. I think the lamps in the grilles are the high beams

3)Has anyone taken out the original phone and tapped the cord to run accesories like a radar detector or a phone charger? Its somewhat distracting running wth the drivers side compartment open to access the cig lighter.
    Look in the Stereo, Phone, Nav & Radar Detectors section, a few folks have done different things like that.

4) who should I contact to get the blue leds for the front running lights?
    KenZ8 arranged the group buy.

5) do I have to go through BMW to get the battery minder or is there a line from someone in the club?
    You can buy one on Amazon if you don't care about it not having a BMW badge, but if you want the BMW badged one then a dealer is the best bet.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The Battery Tender at Sears for $19.95 is much better than the BMW unit. I have 1 BMW (about 80 bucks) and 3 Sears units.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    There are no front fog lights on the Z8, only "one" rear fog light controlled by the switch Andrew mentioned. Front fog lights are not really necessary as the low beams light pattern cuts off the top half to prevent reflection of the beams back to the driver (this is why fog lights are not round for the most part). The beams in the front grill are strickly the high beam headlights. The headlight switch in the first position turns on the rear and front "parking" lights as well as the front "city" lights. The city lights are designed for use in major cities in Europe where bight streetlights preclude the need for having low beams on.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

Josh, welcome. Sounds like a nicely setup car. IMO they are more fun when modded to bring max performance.
    Where are the pics?

The pics are a new thread, titled "pics as promised" original,huh? You should find them further up the chat room with my other bmws as a backdrop. I will be adding tuned headers to the beast this fall to boost me up to about 460 horses in conjunction with the other mods. Look for my post next week as I am building a stalk to house a GPS and remote radar readout utilizing the cupholder slot. Joshb

Nice car. How is the combination of the "strut brace" and Dinan intake working out?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
    quick specs for the Beast as it is now officially named23k, pristine cond, I am the 3rd owner. It has everthing that came with the car originally PLUS

Dinan stage three software, airboxes, caster plates
    strut brace
    supersprint exhaust
    HRE lightweight 19'' mags with TOYO tires
    custom billet machined short shift kit
    alpine9886 radio w ipod /bluetooth/xm adapters
    pedal kit

next year headers and stoptech brakes, this year I need those blue led running lights
    will post picks eventually. Thanks again Andrew for all your help. and all you guys who posted all the great info I used to find this car