Thread: UK conversion

Z8 Novice

UK conversion

Hi,
    Has anybody brought a Z* from the States into the United Kingdom? If so, can you get in touch as I need to make some modifications to get the car through its MOT and have it registered to drive. There seems to be some difficulty getting the rear indicators to work so that the replacement European lenses (orange/red versus red only in the US)show orange when the indicators are on. I would be most grateful. I've emailed Macfly and maybe he has an angle on this problem!Many thanks! Ken George ([email protected])

Hi Ken,
    Unfortunately, I can't help with your question. However, I am quite interested in any responses you receive as I am considering bringing my US Z8 into the UK as well. Did your MOT station require changing to the orange/reds, or was this your decision? I ask because my UK M5 does not have orange indicators.

Tyler

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Hi Ken,
    Unfortunately, I can't help with your question. However, I am quite interested in any responses you receive as I am considering bringing my US Z8 into the UK as well. Did your MOT station require changing to the orange/reds, or was this your decision? I ask because my UK M5 does not have orange indicators.

Tyler
    Hi Tyler,
    Yes, the MOT station did insist on orange indicatrors at the rear, so I had to buy them from my local BMW dealer (?900 each!) and they fit fine but the software needs re-mapping because the lighting system and sequences are programmed for the red only lenses and the bulbs need to be told to behave differently! Everything else about the MOT was fine including the headlights which can be angled straight ahead rather to one side or another. A new front registration plate bracket is needed which again you can get from your local BMW dealer; that didn't cost much.Thanks to Macfly, I contacted Jurgen in germany and ended up with the Customer Service Technical gurus at the largest dealership in Munich. It turns out that any dealership in germany can re-map the software on a Z8 but nobody in the UK can and BMW HQ in the UK have been useless. I'm quite friendly with the Service Manager at North Oxford BMW and I'm hoping that the folks in Munich will send him the software for the re-mapping. One way or another, I'll find a way and will keep you posted on developments. Once the process through the MOT is completed, you will know that it's possible and how to go about it.
    regards
    Ken

Thanks Ken. Another question: who did you use to ship your car over, and were you pleased with the service?

Rgds,
    Tyler

Z8 Novice
    Hi Tyler, I used Marta Szrenka of Overseas Container Shipping ([email protected],tel: 001 732 967 1711, fax 0411). She was recommended to me by Champion Motor Group who sold me the car. It went perfectly. The car was collected from the dealer and put into a container and shipped to Southampton. It was cleared for me there by Kingstown Shipping (Jon Isaac email [email protected]) and I had a transporter meet me there whereupon the car was taken to Ashton Keynes Vintage Restorations where the work has been carried out. The costs were ?624 to Kingstwon Shipping to clear the car, ?12,600 VAT, $2,800 for the shipping cost in the container and $1,563 to insure the car during the shipment. Marta said that she shipped exoctic ccars all over the world without insurance and they always arrived safely but I didn't want to take a chance and so spent the extra $1,563. Hope that help! Ken