Thread: Rear View Mirror

Z8 Novice

Rear View Mirror

My interior rearview mirror is in need of repair/replacement. A previous thread introduced me to Sybesmas, who I have spoken to. They have an exchange program that sounds pretty good. The thing is, I have to remove the old mirror and send them detailed photos so they can correctly match my mirror application.

I have been told by quite a few people that it is extremely easy to break the wind screen while removing the mirror. Obviously, I would like to avoid this. BMW literature on the subject says to push the bottom of the mirror foot toward the direction of travel. The literature specifically tells you not to twist off the mirror as it will damage the pressure spring. I've been told that pushing the mirror toward the direction of travel is a good way to break the windscreen. At this point I am completely confused. I would love to get some detailed advice on this. Please share any knowledge or experience that might be helpful. By the way, I spoke to the good folks at BMW in New Jersey and they no longer replace these mirrors gratis. Thanks in advance for any advice.

As yet I haven't made the swap, so can't tell you the exact truth, but logically I'd suggest another pair of hands on the front of the screen to neutralize the pressure of sliding the mirror forwards.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Who did you speak to in NJ?
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    I just recently replaced mine.

Used Sybesmas also but had to wait 6 months for the refurbished mirror but the good news is that it is as good as new.

Replacing was quite simple, at least for my 2002 car. Not entirely certain if the procedure would differ by build date.

Removal simply involved rotating mirror at its mounting point counterclockwise slightly less than 1/4 turn using gentle pressure and taking care not to "rock" mirror backwards or forward along it mounting axis as you are removing it. The mirror essentially twists off. Rocking back and forth would risk breaking mounting point and damaging windscreen.

Reverse procedure for reattachment. All in all took about 5 minutes.

I've attached photos of the mounting point on the widscreen as well as the underside of the mirror to give you an idea of what it looks like

Good Luck.

---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Question

Where is Sybesmas?

I live in Dubai and need to get my mirror replaced or refurbished. It has the same discoloration problem that a few people have mentioned. The cost here is completely unreasonable

Sean

Andrew Macpherson

Thanks very much.

You are wealth of knowledge.

Have you come across anyone who has the TP function on the radio start up and then never stop? The dealership here was unable to fix it.

I see that many people have had to replace the head unit (and I may do that), but I want to see if I can get the radio at least functioning until I find a decent after market stereo (I saw that the JVC NX5000 was, at one time, recommended)

Thanks

Sean

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a TP function?

It does seem that our radio is pretty prone to head unit issues, though so far, fingers crossed, all four of the Z8's I've had have been immune from the issue. Since fitting the Miesterschaft exhaust, I can't hear the radio anyway, and all my navigation is done by iPhone, so all I use it for is the outside temp gauge these days.
    Andrew Macpherson

As I recall, TP is one of the scan functions.

Ditch the stock radio (retain for resale/collection correctness), and get a proper head-unit. You really can't go wrong with so many good brands/models out there.
    thegunguy

Smile

Sorry TP is Traffic Program. Basically when the head unit thinks that there is an emergency radio broadcast that you need to hear it beeps (even if you are on CD), then moves off the radio station to the sation which it thinks will give the braodcast (which here in Dubai means an Arabic talk radio station - not good).

I wish I could turn it off.

Since the GPS doesnt work here in Dubai, I am ready to get a new head unit. Any recommendations?

BTW - Sybesmas (Stacy) was helpful. They are going to send a mirror to my office in Houston on my next trip and then I send the crap one back. All for $100. Now I just need to remove it from the car and photograph it

Cheers

Sean

Be very careful as you twist off and back on, the mirror. Absolutely no pressure can be placed on the windscreen and it needs to be cool. I used to remove the mirror in my Z3 for spirited drives due to it being in my line of sight. While reinstalling it during a drive, I cracked the glass.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Thanks got it off realtively easy

SJK

Just wanted to chime in. I just received my replacement mirror from Sybesmas. The whole process was very swift. I contacted them using info from this thread. They emailed me a form which I filled out and sent back. 5 days later a new mirror arrived and I sent back the old one as a core exchange. The mirror cost $75.00 and I paid $20 freight. I have a quote from my local dealer to replace the mirror. It was over $1100.

I was reluctant to remove the mirror myself, but the removal was very simple. I just rotated the mirror by the arm counter-clock-wise very gently -careful not to apply any fore or aft force while twisting. Re-attaching is just a easy.

A tip: you will need to remove the mirror to photograph it to send to Sybesmas. I don't drive my Z8 very often, so I just left the old mirror off after I photographed while I waited for the replacement -thereby reducing the probability of damaging something by handling it too much.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I replaced mine before others warned about cracking the windscreen. No problems, thank goodness!

My only advise is to make certain your USA Z8 gets a USA spec mirror and your euro Z8 gets the euro mirror. Otherwise, the locks and the alarm won't function.

Z8 Novice
    Sybesma's (800.456.4265) just repaired the electrochromatic fluid leak in my rearview mirror ('02 Silver/Red). They couldn't have been more professional! Mirror came back, packaged nicely, THREE days later...$97, including shipping. I had been nervous to remove the mirror, but followed the directions (above), and had no trouble. Reinstalled it, and it looks perfect and works perfect!

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boneman View Post
    Sybesma's (800.456.4265) just repaired the electrochromatic fluid leak in my rearview mirror ('02 Silver/Red). They couldn't have been more professional! Mirror came back, packaged nicely, THREE days later...$97, including shipping. I had been nervous to remove the mirror, but followed the directions (above), and had no trouble. Reinstalled it, and it looks perfect and works perfect!
    Same thing here. Got mine back this week. They did the one for my Z3 M Roadster a few years ago and I'm still happy with it. Best part is that they have a different technology. Unlike the BMW replacements, their mirrors have no liquid, so no more leaking, ever.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

FYI: the new OEM rear mirror does not leak anymore
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

https://youtu.be/gSwDCzWi5Cs

A "How To " to replace your rearview mirror yourself

http://ioilservice.de/epages/c2babc3...oducts%2F54155

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)