Thread: Seat Back Clip Repair.

Seat Back Clip Repair.

These shots were sent in by braindilley, and clearly illustrate the seat back clips that have failed on several cars. They are a very tight fit, and take quite some work to slot back in place once they are glued. The glue info come from our team chemical engineer, FWK-Z8

1.) Clean both surfaces with a fine 80-100 grit sandpaper to remove any residual adhesive/roughen up the mating surfaces.

2.) Spread a thin coat of cyanoacrylate (like MXBON 105, or any other good industrial superglue) to each surface - make sure you get it to the edges of the parts so as to eliminate stress concentrations that would allow peel.

3.) After getting the initial adhesion, run a bead around the perimeter of the clips to allow the adhesive to get in by capillary force . If possible clamp the two pieces together for about 2 hours.

4.) Wait overnight before reinstalling the shells.

5.) The top hooks, which are the ones that fail, slide up to engage. The bottom ones push in when the top hooks are fully engaged. The hardest part of the fix is re-installing the seat back. Due to the thickness of the leather, it's difficult to get the top hooks to "click" in place. Go slow, be patient, and you'll eventually get it.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    I have "fixed" my seat clips numerous times; but eventually they come loose again.
    I notice that they flex whenever you enter or leave the car (driver or passenger) ad this pressure eventually breaks them loose.

Has anyone discovered a permanent fix?

I Squared

Not sure it applies, but I haven't noticed any ALPINAs with this problem. Andrew would probably have info on this, though if they have. The ALPINA seat backs are different than the Z8 (they're not glossy), but the entire seat could also be different as far as I know. I don't think that's the case, but may be something to check out.

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by I Squared View Post
    I have "fixed" my seat clips numerous times; but eventually they come loose again.
    I notice that they flex whenever you enter or leave the car (driver or passenger) ad this pressure eventually breaks them loose.

Has anyone discovered a permanent fix?

I Squared
    Hard plastic glue for PVC tubes. Never game off again (4 years now)
    Z8Ros

Sorry for reviving an old post:

I lost one of the clips from the seatback. It seems when I got the car detailed it fell off and was lost. The problem I face now is how do I find a replacement clip? The dealer only lists the entire seat back.

Make certain the clip didn't fall down into the gut of the seat back, I seem to recall fishing one out of there when I addressed this problem. My guess is you will not be able to purchase the clip separately from the entire seat back shell. If you are unable to find or replace the missing piece, try installing it with just the one remaining clip. I think it will hold it in place firmly enough that no one but you will know.

Bill

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the tip. I did install the RT hand clip> It held but I have a quarter to a half inch gap still. The unprimed seat back piece is about $440.

It is one of those things that bug me when I get into the car. You are right, only I will notice it...OR one of the Z8 guys will, then I will be an outcast with a defective Z8! ( JUST KIDDING) I am bugged that the clip was lost. I can see it on the floor of the detail shop right now.

How about a Velcro square?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    How about a Velcro square?
    Thanks,
    That Might work!
    Thanks,
    Worth a try to save $450.....

I have just comissioned the 3D printing of these clips. One of mine is broken and one is missing..I will post pictures and feedback of the end result...

Awesome idea, thanks for sharing!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.