Thread: Factory Stamp - Production Number

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Factory Stamp - Production Number

I heard today that BMW put a factory build plate behind the 'Z8' center console between the seats. A factory representative said that a unique production plate is attached to the plastic Z8 piece.

Has anyone ever heard of this build plate? Has anyone ever taken the Z8 plastic piece off that is between the seats?

If so, how and did you notice a factory plate attached to the backside?
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

I can't speak for the regular Z8, but each Alpina has a production number plate between the seats where the "Z8" logo is located on the Z8s. Could be a source of confusion?

Its news to me, but maybe there is?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Yeah, I knew about the Alpina number and that may be the confusion, but these where BMW NA reps and they said you had to look behind the center plate, as the Alpina is out there in front. But I guess it will be an easter egg for now, but would be pretty cool if that data was behind the center seat logo.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Seems a bit odd, as most of the info on the car is on the VIN sticker anyway? Why would they go to the trouble of making a plate that no one will ever see, not very cost effective at all for a very cost conscious company?
    Andrew Macpherson

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I was just passing on a tidbit that the BMW reps mentions when we were looking at my car. I hadn't heard anything like that in these forums, and I was thinking this group may have heard of that easter egg hunt. But it was an interesting inquiry by those guys, but I am thinking they were confused with the Alpina numbering badge like Jawz mentioned.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

I think thats it, as the reps mostly deal just with the refrigerator and washing machine units (1, 3, 5, 7 X's etc).
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    From all I know so far of the Z8, part of the Z8 marketing strategy BMW was thinking of, but never did, was the possibillity to have an individual engraving in the Z8 signet between the seats like the initials of the owner. Therefore all of the owners who did get the owners book with the car in the original box (black colour) should have been able to find the Z8 signet between the seats as the original spare part inside the box underneath the book. This signet was supposed to be the one with the individual engraving.

Another part of the marketing strategy, BMW also never did, was a sterling silver pin with the siluette of the Z8 for all of the Z8 owners. These pins were the presents from the BMW Z8 Club e.V. to all our members in the first year after the inaugural in 2005.
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Well, so there was some a touch of lore with that myth. So it wasn't a completely out of left field but historical a cool little tidbit. Now if we can only find that cache of silver pins. Thanks Juergen!

I think I found an answer to my question
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver