Thread: Recharging keys

Z8 Novice

Recharging keys

I just acquired a 2002 Z8. It looks like the previous owner only used one of the keys and let the spare key sit for years without use. I am being told that if the key will not charge while in use, it cannot be repaired, that there is no replaceable battery. I find this difficult to accept. Can anyone shed some light on this question. Is there a way to repair or re-energize these keys? Thanks. Hudson Trader 2002 Black/Crema.

This isn't the first time that this has come up, but I can't remember exactly what the solution was.

If I remember correctly the key will take a charge, you have to put it in the ignition, turn it on one click and leave it overnight, while also leaving the battery tender on. If anyone else remembers the correct procedure please chime in.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    I ran some tests a while back and discovered that the key will charge simply by inserting it into the ignition (any position will do). Using the battery tender is strongly recommended. Your best option is to try an overnight charge and see what happens. If that doesn't work, try reprogramming the key. Programming instructions should be documented somewhere here.

Best of luck!

P.S., welcome to the forum. Don't forget to share some pics of your new beauty.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Z8 Novice

Smile Recharging keys

I will try to charge overnight with dead key in the ignition while using the battery tender. Does anyone have the reprogram instructions for the keys? Thanks. You guys have really created a great board.
    Last edited by Hudson Trader; June 8th 2009 at 18:50. Reason: Not clear the first time.

Z8 Madness
    Try this thread.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT