Thread: OT: E39 M5 Production by Color?

Exclamation OT: E39 M5 Production by Color?

Good morning, I would be grateful for the Board's assistance in finding some information on the E39 M5. I am currently negotiating the purchase of a very, very nice example and one of the valuation arguments is color combination.

I have seen the Z8's final production numbers broken down by color combination and wonder whether the same data exists for the M5...thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction.

(P.S. I did ultimately buy a triple-black Z8 but I have withheld the unveiling because there have been incredible delays at the border, long story. I may have her today or tomorrow, stay tuned and thanks to the Board for helping me find her!)

Cheers
    Zed Eight Eh

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I am in the car business and I can assure you that on a M5, color, other than some ugly one, makes NO difference in the value of the car. Black, silver, grey, makes no difference. If it is some odd, off the beaten path color, then it will be worth less. Example: I currently have a customer who wants to trade in a 2006 Bentley Continental GT. It is Cypress "sage" with a saddle interior. Nobody wants it!!! Black, grey, silver, plenty of buyers. The Z8 is a whole different story. Low miles and condition and the completeness of the car are more important than if it is silver or black or whatever. Some super rare colors will command more money if the car is a low mileage, perfect car.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Your best bet is the M5 Board, but honestly don't be fooled by color, or claims of rarity, there will never be a big collector market for any four door sedan regardless of how sweet it maybe. The M5 is a stunning car that handles like a dream, but buy it strictly to use, not to collect/invest.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Lads, I am in full agreement with both of you, and am trying to underline this argument with the data. This guy has an extremely low-mile example to be sure, but he needs to get over himself - over 20,000 were built.

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I am in the car business and I can assure you that on a M5, color, other than some ugly one, makes NO difference in the value of the car. Black, silver, grey, makes no difference. If it is some odd, off the beaten path color, then it will be worth less. Example: I currently have a customer who wants to trade in a 2006 Bentley Continental GT. It is Cypress "sage" with a saddle interior. Nobody wants it!!! Black, grey, silver, plenty of buyers. The Z8 is a whole different story. Low miles and condition and the completeness of the car are more important than if it is silver or black or whatever. Some super rare colors will command more money if the car is a low mileage, perfect car.

I fully agree.

Well, this thread can be closed! The guy is out to lunch.

He just emailed me that he wants about $64k USD for a 2003 with 11k miles.

It's a very, very nice car - flawless - but puh-lease.

Z8E