Thread: Hazing Speedometer Lens

Sport Button On

Hazing Speedometer Lens

My speedometer lens is slowly hazing? All others are clear and normal. I do not remember reading of any other Z8's having a similar problem. Any thoughts....probably off to the dealor to get an opinion and fix along with getting the pesty seat backs reglued. Second time for my 2001 w/25k miles and always garaged in Southern California.

I haven't heard of the speedo fogging from anyone else so far, so I think you are a first on that - let me know what you find out.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    That is a new one to me. Never heard of a single car with that problem. Please let us know if you find out what caused it.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Sport Button On
    Sorry to be slow in reporting the fix...dealer pulled gages took apart speedometer polished lens and reinstalled. Looks better than new....no reason could be found for the problem....no big deal when completed....couple of hundred dollars for the fix.

Did the mechanic check ...

Quote Originally Posted by rwwinsz8 View Post
    Sorry to be slow in reporting the fix...dealer pulled gages took apart speedometer polished lens and reinstalled. Looks better than new....no reason could be found for the problem....no big deal when completed....couple of hundred dollars for the fix.
    the lightbulbs for the speedo area? One could have blown and potentially led to some minor electrical fumes to smoke the inside of the glass. If you are like me, I hardly ever drive at night so would not notice if a bulb in there was out readily.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On
    I do drive a fair amount at night and all lights work. It is odd that only the speedo lens was hazed. All the lens were cleaned and I must confess that I do not believe they ever looked better. No cause was determined, but agree that the film looked like it could have been some electrical smoke?