Thread: Getting our car up to snuff

Z8 Novice

Getting our car up to snuff

Hi,

Its been almost a year since my last visit. Our garage queen (with only 7k miles) needs some work to get it at 10/10. I am looking for quick advice in case I am missing the obvious. Thank you!

Head lights fogged. Lights: $2780 plus installation
    New soft top (we have a hole in it): $6182 plus installation
    Windshield (chip in glass) plus rear view mirror (funky glass): $2214 plus installation

In all it will be about $11k with installation. We have the original tires on the car and want to replace with non-run flats...even though we have the PP installed.

Are the prices in line or are we getting nailed? Any suggestions to save $. We appreciate the help!!

Karl

I would start with calling Bill Stuart at BMW NA - 201-263-8210 and discuss these issues, your length of ownership etc with him, and see if he can help you out, his advice will be the best you can get.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I spoke with Bill Stuart several years ago about my fogged headlights and BMW paid for the parts, all I had to pay for was labor, about $330. I just installed a new windshield in my car. I paid $650 for the glass, $85 for the new seal, $260 for the glue kits needed to install the new windshield, and $340 for labor. Here in L.A, I think the guy I use, who is a master when it comes to tops and interiors, just recently did a top on a Z8. I think parts and labor ran about $3,500.

wow 7K miles and all that work needed? why? just curious no need to answer if you don't want to

Z8 Novice
    The top is a tiny hole...1-2MM but clearly visible....right on a hinge point. The lights seems to be a universal problem as the mirror...even with those in storage. The window was a freak accident. So other than the top going up and down, the other issues don't have anything to do with wear!

I had my windshield replaced underwarranty with BMW OEM glass by the dealer, the cost you quote is a bit more but mine was done several years ago when the USD was stronger which made parts from Germany a bit cheaper. If you are a BMW CCA member, most dealers will discount the parts by up to 10% but you usually have to ask for the discount so be sure to ask.

Also, from personal experience (my 3rd windshield), there is a 6 page technical instruction brochure from BMW AG that your local dealer needs to read before installing your new windshield. I do know this because they had immediate cracking issues when trying to install my first replacement. If I remember correctly, the Z8 has to sit on a level surface when installing the windshield to obtain the proper fit so the frame is not torqued in any significant manner (the windshield frame is actually part of the frame and flexes with the twisting of the frame), the ambient temp can not be below 60 degrees F when sealing it because of the glue charateristics, and it must sit on a level surface for 48 hours after sealing it before you drive it or it has a seriously increased risk of cracking. The reason I was given is this is due the windshield frame and windshield glass are under significant tension as part of the frame. After my first replacement, it cracked when I drove around the block after I picked it up -- seriously. It was only after that, the "instruction manual" was identified by my dealer when they checked with BMW AG for details as they mistakenly thought a windshield replacement on a Z8 could be done just like any other BMW.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I spoke with Bill Stuart several years ago about my fogged headlights and BMW paid for the parts, all I had to pay for was labor, about $330. I just installed a new windshield in my car. I paid $650 for the glass, $85 for the new seal, $260 for the glue kits needed to install the new windshield, and $340 for labor. Here in L.A, I think the guy I use, who is a master when it comes to tops and interiors, just recently did a top on a Z8. I think parts and labor ran about $3,500.
    Hey Martin was the new windshield the "collateral damage" from our backroads escapades in Cayucos/Cambria?
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It had some chips in it already, but I picked up a really big chip right in my line of sight and it was driving me crazy! I tried to live with it "for about a week" and decided to put a new one in. Yes, I did pick it up from our trip. I am not naming names, but you know who you are! Kidding. Jeff is dead on correct about the installation of the windshield. My car was at the dealer for two days for exactly the reason Jeff stated.

I seem to have that effect on people......must be the heavy right foot! Hope it turns out perfect.