Thread: Z8 Luggage Set from Roadsterbag.com

Arrow Z8 Luggage Set from Roadsterbag.com

Nearly a 18 months ago, in preparation for our wonderful Z8 Monterey Meeting, I contacted the folks at Roadsterbag regarding the possibility of manufacturing a Z8 specific set of luggage. At the time, they said they would investigate it. I received word from them last spring, that preparations were indeed underway to design and manufacture a set of luggage specifically to fit the Z8, but alas, would not be ready in time for our Monterey trip. At about that same time, our BMW Z8 Club of Germany, also began their own plans to make the high quality leather set for the Club members only [which btw, is nearly complete and should be shipping soon]. However, since the custom luggage was only a one time offer through the Z8 Club and for members only, there still was a need for a high quality reasonably priced set of Z8 Specific luggage and Roadsterbag has responded with what I think is a great set of luggage.

I continued to collaborate with Ren? at Roadsterbag during this process and offered some help from a owner's perspective. When Ren? offered to provide me with a set to evaluate, I jumped at the chance and here is that evaluation.

If any of you have seen Roadsterbags before, they are known for manufacturing high quality, strong, durable and LIGHTWEIGHT [less than 10 kg total] luggage made of ballistic grade nylon and high quality leather accents, ribbing and handles as well as embossed metal name plates. They are fully lined and each set is vehicle specific. I can tell you alot of thought has gone into the Z8 set and as you will see from the pictures below, I think it will suit the needs of most owners quite well. I am sure there are things that some would want different but quite honestly, this set provides the maximum storage needed while still allowing room for "incidentals" such as cleaning supplies, other odds and ends you may need and there is still room behind the seats for the leather top cover. These bags are manufactured in Germany.

The Z8 Luggage includes a set of 7 bags. 2 for the lower trunk compartment, 2 upper trunk compartment, a garment bag with one hanger, and 2 leather behind the seat bags that mount to the head rest to keep them in place. The lower cases, while seemingly small, actually hold a large number sock and undergarments, the upper cases hold a large number of shirts, shorts or pants, while the garment bag is big enough to hold a couple nicer items such as ladies dresses, sport coat and the like. The behind the seat bags are full leather and lined and interestingly feature a single hanger as well and are big enough to hold a shirt and a folded pair of pants or what ever else you would like. Each of the 4 main bags comes with it's own non-TSA combo lock.

Now for the best thing -- Roadsterbag is offering ALL Z8 owners a large 20% group discount off of MSRP and is open to ALL Z8 owners worldwide. Better yet, there is NO time frame or minimum numbers, the only requirement is that you have to own a Z8 (or more like some folks I know)

Pricing without shipping is as follows:

MSRP: 698 Euros including 19% VAT, 596,55 Euros without 19% VAT

Z8 Owners - -20% discount = 469,24 Euros [as of today's exchange = 624.46 USD]

Shipping is via DHL only and will cost approximately 135 Euros to most areas of the USA and is what I paid for the set I have.

I personally think this is an excellent deal for the money and is something any Z8 owner would utilize over and over again.

Anyone interested can go contact Ren? direct at the following information:

[email protected]
    Roadsterbag
    Roadsterbag.info
    Ren? Schmitz
    Lehnengasse 23
    50354 H?rth
    Germany
    Tel: ++49 02233/613553
    Mobil: ++49 0151/56606650
    M-F 09:30am - 18:00pm.

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

At a thousand bucks, duffel bags are looking pretty good.

All that aside, I will contact RB and get them to produce a flyer in US prices so that I can send it to the ZSCCA membership.

Scott

Jeff, thanks for helping make this set happen, it certainly looks nice, my only concern is that there is nowhere to put the toneau cover, so it looks like when all your luggage is full and on board you have to keep the top down, or leave the tonneau cover at home?

Scot, how many Z8 owners (apart from you & Fred) are in the ZSCCA?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The Tonneau cover is really not a problem.....

Mac, although the Tonneau cover will not fit in the trunk, the Tonneau cover will tuck behind one of the seats still, just under the bags, depending on how far back each of the seats are. Since most of the passengers are our spouses or sometimes, children, the passenger seat can be placed a bit more forward and there is plenty of room for the Tonneau cover behind the seat below the hanging bag. When the top is up, the Tonneau cover fits in the well behind the seats that the top folds down into too [that is where I put it for Monterey and the MITM], and when the top is down, heck no problem storing the canvas cover as it folds up and can be placed just about anywhere. Your problem is where to put all that camera equipment!!

I like the Z8 set and is good alternative to the custom type luggage that was offered through the Club (which I purchased too and am waiting for as well). Certainly as Scott has said, still not "cheap luggage" but considering how much quality lightweight luggage is these days (e.g., Delsey, a 7 piece set can easily cost similar money).... for those owners who want the advantages of vehicle specific custom fit luggage without the price, this is a good option and from a price point, is a good deal even when compared to other Roadsterbags, given the significantly less numbers of Z8s produced compared to other cabrios from BMW or other brand.

P.S. At one time (fall 2002 just after buying my Z8) I believe I was the only or certainly only one of a couple Z8 members of the then "Z3CCA" and inquired when I joined if there were any other Z8 owners who were members. At that time, they told me there were no other Z8 owners they new of as it was a club for Z3 owners. Subsequently, the club expanded with the release of the Z4 and eventually, to include Z8 owners and changed the name to "Z Series CCA" as a special interest group of BMW CCA, of which our friend Scott Petit, is now el presidente. I maintained my membership for 2 years and let it lapse due to no other Z8 owners joining and with finding everyone here, found a home and folks to relate too. The ZSCCA is a well respected club, but just not active in my part of the country, heck, we have a hard enough time getting just the BMWCCA members together, let alone a Z Series Club.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I think that it is only a few but I will ask our membership guru to pull up their names and I will forward the info. The way I see it is that the ZSCCA is a very active / drive like your days are numbered organization and most Z8 owners don't want to put the miles on their cars (I am one of them) so as to maintain the value of the car.

As far as the bags go, I have a set of RB's for my Z3 and they are very well made and great looking but the main drawback is:

The front is soft but the top, bottom and sides are rigid thus when the bag is not full, it doesn't collapse when you want to put something across the top. I admit that most Z3 and Z4 drivers use travel boots rather than the rigid ones that came with the car but in the case of the Z8, that is not possible.

I have them because I got a great deal but I have never used them.

Scott

Jeff, I never thought of trying to stow the tonneau cover on the shelf behind the seats, I didn't think it would even fit back there, so it is a great tip to know it does!

Scott I only ask because if you have more you should link to us. The Z8 Club e.V is also supposed to be a Special Interest Group of the CCA, but despite countless phone calls and reminders they have never added us to the official SIG listing! I may end up replacing my aging SL with the new Z4 if they make an M version, so may yet become a ZSCCA member. I certainly enjoying driving more than preserving, the whole point of having a car is to enjoy it. At the moment I get very few chances to use any car for fun because of work, life, dogs etc, so the Z8 is fine for a few weekends a year, but if I win the lotto I'll be doing 100,000 miles a year just driving around the country taking pictures and enjoying the roads!
    Andrew Macpherson

The ZSCCA is a SIG of the CCA and it is not an easy thing to become.

We have also discussed with the CCA, a joint membership but the question becomes who collects the dues and who keeps what. I can imagine that the CCA board would have lots of questions about the yearly dues of the Z8 club considering that the CCA charges 40 a year and sends out a monthly magazine. They may want a take on the clubs income. Don't misunderstand me, I am not rehashing my old concerns-just pointing out a possible fact.

As far as I am concerned, the ZSCCA would be happy to include a link on our website if the Z8 club will do the same. In the mean time, I will try and get some #'s for you in the next few days.

Scott

It fits good enough for me but certainly not perfectly....

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    stow the tonneau cover on the shelf behind the seats,
    when the top is up, and you are loaded with gear, you just look anywhere you can to stow stuff. The space back there is far from perfect or even easy to access with the top up but works well enough.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Scott, it is a much harder thing to become a BMW AG approved and accredited club, which we are! You also obviously haven't kept an eye on our links page, there has been a link to your club since you joined our site.
    Andrew Macpherson

We just never bother with the Tonneau cover Problem solved for us

One question, does the luggage come in other colors? If we decided to go with it we would probably rather have it in red.

I just sent a note to our webmaster, asking him to add the link.

Has anyone developed a soft / travel boot cover for the Z8? Is anyone interested in having one?

By the way, I have a custom made, zippered tonneau cover for my Z3 and love it. Reminds me of the glory days in my MG.

Scott

Regarding colors....

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    ... does the luggage come in other colors?
    No, it only comes as pictured, which is the standard color for ALL sets of Roadsterbags for all makes and models. I too would want Red with black accent but no such luck.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Find a good embroiderer and have your name done in script. If you want to keep them generic, have them done with "Z8" or (your year) Z8 and do it in your cars color.

Just an idea.

Scott

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Smile

I just ordered a set for my car. With the exchange rate as of today, it came in at around $811, including shipping. Hey, for a seven piece set of luggage, how can you go wrong? Rene was a delight to deal with. I will report my impressions once I receive my set.

Thumbs up

I received my luggage yesterday and I am very pleased with it. It has excellent build quality and looks great in the car. Currently, I have just put the four pieces in the trunk; the garment bag is hanging up in my closet. As I am taking a weekend trip on Friday, I am looking forward to actually using it.

Glad you like it.... I think it is very good quality for a custom fit set of luggage and only 10kg weight for the whole set. Curious though if you are able to put a hang up clothing in the behind the seat bags as they have a hanger in them.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Not sure as I have not tried yet. Since I am a jeans and T shirt kind of guy, I really do not think I will be using the pieces for behind the seats or the garment bag. I currently have those three pieces stored and the other four are in the trunk of my car. I am going out of town this coming weekend in the Z8 so I will get to use the luggage right away.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    This set is not available anymore but they now have a 4 part leather set now. The leather is grey or black and the stitching is available in red and silver. The price is ?999

If there is a broader interest maybe the price could go down again

Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Is this for a Z8? Their site does not show Z8 luggage.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Thru Marty! They have an separate site for the Cabria set : http://www.cabriokoffer.de right menu, fourth from above. If you want a translation of the German text let me know
    Ton

I see it but do not read or speak German so a translation would be great.

I just sent Roadsterbag an email so I should get a reply from them. Thanks.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I see it but do not read or speak German so a translation would be great.

I just sent Roadsterbag an email so I should get a reply from them. Thanks.
    New Cabria customized cases for your BMW Z8

Cabria is our new brand for customized, handmade cases and bags made out of the finest materials. All our cases and bags from our new Cabria series are made out of the finest Italian leathers trimmed with an ornate double topstitching. The inner lining is made with the finest Alcantara. All cases and bags are handmade in Europe!

Our Cabria suitcases and bags are not universal but are customized to your vehicle. To use the maximum available space even the smallest spots are utilized. With this luggage solution that you can concentrate fully on your vacation without having to test to what fits inside your boot.

An ornate frame is part of our product. We use flexible and lightweight materials, so our cases are made of extremely light and durable metal-plastic composite materials. Our Cabria bags are double lined layers of material,so they don?t colllaps like others do.

Cabria offers the possibility of more customizing. With an extra charge you can choose for other colors of the stitching
    Ton

Thank you for the translation.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

So I just ordered a four piece set of this luggage from Roadsterbag. It comes in three different styles.
    1. Black Italian leather with red double stitching, which is what I ordered.
    2. Black Italian leather with silver double stitching.
    3. Anthracite Italian leather with silver double stitching.
    The inside is done in fine alcantara. These are handmade in Europe. I have been waiting for something like this for years. Rene at Roadsterbag is superb to work with. The price is 998 Euros, but he said forum members get a 50 Euro discount. Shipping is not included in this price. I have attached a picture of a set of the luggage. Email Rene at [email protected].

Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Congratulations Marty with this great set! That is a 5 percent discount....very nice!
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Beautiful. Congratulations Marty!

I am looking forward to receiving this beautiful luggage. I will report what I think once received.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Please take pictures as you load them in the "boot". I'd like to see how well they utilize the space.

First Cabria gave me free shipping from Germany to Holland but now with the forum discount I have to pay shipping I am not very happy with this kind of practice. But I found another supplier who is a bit more "transparent".
    Ton

I found Rene' Schmidt, the Roadsterbag guru, to be very great to deal with when I helped give input to the original design . I like the look of the new ones better as they are leather but the ones I have are great for putting on the plane as the material won't get beat up as easily by the bag handlers. If I bought that leather set, I would definetely use some bag covers.

Ian, they are the same dimension as the ones I have for my Z8 which I think you have seen.

Marty, Rene' Schmidt is the guy to deal with at Roadterbag and I found him to be above board when dealing with him when he agreed to give our Club members the discount. Let me know if you have any problems.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Rene has been great! Usually it takes three to four weeks for the luggage to be made and another two to three weeks for shipping. Luckily, he had one set in the black leather with the red stitching in stock so my luggage is on its way!
    P.S. Make sure you deal with Roadsterbag and Rene only.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Later today I will be picking up 61011 at the dealer. They are putting in the performance package and new headlights. My luggage arrived from Germany and I will be putting that in the car today also. Will post a few pics later.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    SWEET!!!! Cant wait to see.

So here is my new four piece set of fitted luggage. The quality is superb. The leather is amazing and the inside is lined with fine alcantara suede.

Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Congratulations Marty! I'd love to see some shots of the luggage interior as well. Looks great inside der Z8!

Here is the inside.

Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    You are a temptress!

Looks very good! Good quality!
    Ton

Glad you like them Marty!!! I like the leather inside outside more than the fabric exterior and cloth ones I have from them. Looks like the dimensions are the same though. I can tell you that these DO hold a lot more clothes than you think and make it easy to pack for a 6 day trip as it was these bags that I used on the last Napa Trip.
    Glad you like them.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I had a set in my Stratus car like you have. I used them a lot and you can put tons of stuff into them.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor