Thread: Tesla roadster this morning

Z8 Novice

Tesla roadster this morning

I was amazed to see a Black/Black Tesla roadster on the road this morning during my regular commute. City streets in Northern California (Sunnyvale, CA).

Initial impression was positive. I did not get a chance to look it over closely as it was in motion.

The overall industrial design was nice and the fabric half top looked appropriate on the car.

It is very small vehicle. Approximately the same size as Lotus Elise, low slung, and a small, narrow cockpit.

Checking out the webpage today showed a range of approx 244 miles which would make it practical for commuting although for the money, the fun quotient of our Z8's is far superior!

Regards,

KQ Smith

Kevin, it is a slightly stretched Elise as I recall. We had one at one of our car shows in Danville last year or the year before. Not much to look at, just a slightly cleaner design than the Lotus. And for a car show, it's not like we could leave the hood up and oogle the engine.

The tub, suspension, and interior are all pretty much carried over form the Lotus. Due to the weight of the lithium ion cells, the body uses quite a bit of carbon.
    thegunguy

KQ,

Did you see the Top Gear test of the Tesla? They really liked it and claimed that its acceleration was quite impressive. Tesla is considered the leader in car battery technology and currently working on a 400 mile battery system.

On another note, are you from Sunnyvale? I grew up there.

Scott

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Not exactly

The handling stunk because of the added weight, plus they flattened the battery after 55 miles

Quote Originally Posted by FWK-Z8 View Post
    The handling stunk because of the added weight, plus they flattened the battery after 55 miles
    apparantly not true - just done 'for a laugh'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...a-electric-car

a take on describing the actual 1st time driving experience:

http://boingboing.net/2009/02/26/tes...g-a-tesla.html

That December 2008 episode is not the one that I was referring to. The one I saw was several months ago (unless it was on another program).

I lost interest in Top Gear a while back as I prefer to be informed rather than entertained.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by raka View Post
    a take on describing the actual 1st time driving experience: ...
    i mistakenly linked to a reference to the link - here is the actual write-up:

http://gm-volt.com/2009/02/23/gm-vol...ve-with-video/