Thread: 2010 Taurus

2010 Taurus

While I think they still have issues, Ford seems to be leading the "big 3" in these times, and I have to say that the 2010 Taurus has really caught my eye for a future daily driver/long-distance hauler.

Design as always is person, but I'm somewhat impressed with what Ford has done here, and the list of features and options rival our friends from Europe. For us gear-heads the twin-turbo SHO model is the ticket with 365hp and 330ftlbs with projected mileage in the low 20s. No doubt the aftermarket world will be able to better those numbers. Not bad for $38k.

Even the promo site is better than most I've seen.
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/2010Taurus/
    thegunguy

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I agree that Ford is the strongest of the Big 3 and has some really nice models to choose from. Even though my car brokering business is about 95% foriegn sales and 5% domestic, I believe in "Buy American" if at all possible. But, here is the real problem U.S. car companies face: no matter how good a product they build, lease rates are really high due to the exceptionally low residual values on their cars and trucks. While no car maker has been immune from a drop in residual values, most foriegn cars have at least a 45 to 50% residual value on a 36 month lease, some as high as 60%, compaired to most American products at 28 to 30%. Since more than half of all cars are leased, they simply cannot compete. Unless leasing becomes a dinosaur, the American car companies are facing a very difficult uphill struggle. Also, foriegn manufacturers usually have a financial arm that will have very low money factors, or APR's, on their leases. The Big 3 don't or won't lease their cars anymore, and the banks that will have very high APR's on their leases. Something has to be done to make American vehicles compete against their foriegn rivals on a monthly lease payment basis.

Ah yes, but why are their residuals so low?
    ? Fall apart after 36mo
    ? Over production
    ? Massive fleet sales at big discounts
    ? Subsidized new models undermine used values
    ? Lack of perceived brand value (only value is as "Transportation")

Did I miss something else? In order to fix things they need to make a product that has real long term value. And then....they still need to fix a bunch of other problems in .........?

I have no Idea how they can fix all the wrongs, there are so many ways they've screwed up.

Good thing we're are bailing them out! Why?

Stop being so serious. I was pointing out the car, not the company.
    thegunguy

Lisa and I looked at what car we want next.

We have a Z8 and a 2004 330i (performance package - 6 speed, alcantara interior, 10 extra hp - 'better' than a 1st gen M3, gets 30mpg freeway, 22mpg over 26K miles!)

For less than 50K - nothing

For less than 70K - Jaguar XF... (I'm in the computer business, Indian companies scare me - they check all the right boxes, but I've been disappointed) - Lexus GS 450!

Hmmm - that's it!

Really - I'm a car guy, and I can find 2 cars under 70K that make me interested, to upgrade from our paid for 330i.

I'm currently building a business, so 100K+ for a car is not an option. Even before the current problems, the car market was not interesting for me.

As a final point: I applaud Ford for not taking my tax dollars, and would actually think about supporting them directly just for that reason (if only they still owned Jaguar...)

Good point Tom, it's tough to be a car guy with expectations!

Hey, the Golf GTi is a hoot to drive, so is the Mini, the new EU only Ford Focus ST is meant to be the best hot hatch on the planet now, and they are all cheap. The Smart car is a giggle too, as is the Evo & Scoobydoo STi. Not sure I'd actually buy any of them for me, but when you're traveling and renting they are all big smilers!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

We do like the Mini a lot and rented a convertible one to drive through Wales - it was a hoot but we do several 5+hour drives a year so need something a tad bit more comfortable as well with more trunk space for the wine we bring back from Canada. If we had one more garage space it would definitely be in the running.

2010 Taurus on sale now as a Lincoln MKS

You can drive the 2010 Taurus in the form of a Lincoln MKS. Drove an MKS today and was quite impressed. Good looks and nice interior. Twin Turbo will be available later this year.
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

Go Ford. I have had a series of Ford p.u. over the years and they keep getting better.

I had a friend tell me about the s.h.o. recently and he said he was getting the new model when it comes out. I hope Ford can hold it together and prosper because its not looking good for GM.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Hey, the Golf GTi is a hoot to drive, so is the Mini...!
    My son has a Cooper S and it's about as fun to drive as my shifter kart. I expected some torque steering, but it's so well masked that it's imperceptable. I think it's a steal at $25K+-.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver