Thread: Monterey '09

Monterey '09

Our '09 schedule was perfect, but this thread now combines all the images made over the four days, so it will take a moment to load up.

Wed
    7.00 am - leave LA early to avoid the heavy summer sun, take the back roads up.
    1.00 pm - Lunch in Carmel Valley, check into the hotel.
    3.30 pm - Drive over to Carmel, cruise 17 Mile Drive.
    5.00 pm - McCall's Jetway event at Monterey Airport.

Thur
    8.30 am - Scenic drive through Hunter Liggot detoured south to Cambria because of fires, adding a couple of hours to our drive.

Fri
    7.30 am - BMW CCA event at Rancho Canada
    10.00 am - The Quail
    7.00 pm - dinner with the Ferrari Club

Sat
    8.00am - head up to Laguna Seca early for the big day at the races.
    7.30pm - dinner at Montrio's and a look at the auctions - sales way down this year.

Sun
    6.00am - Headed home early, Carmel - LA in 5 hours 15 minutes on the back roads!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

There is nothing better than starting a day with four hours of brisk back roads in a Z8. After arriving in Carmel Valley the three of us who drove up had a relaxed lunch, then wandered into Carmel, cruised 17 Mile Drive, with a stop over at Pebble Beach where we stumbled upon a great display of Silver Arrows, the most seen together ever we were told. From there we meandered along the coast and on up to McCall's, which is where the last set of pictures is taken. All in all a great start to a nice short break.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Thank you Andrew great pictures, Wish I was there.
    Pandaman

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    Great photos Andrew! The ones of the Vasek Polak 3.0 brings back memories of purchasing my second and third BMWs from his dealership in Manhattan Beach in 1984 and 1986. I still have the 1987 535i I purchased in December 1986 (Birthday present to myself before you could no longer claim sales tax on your income tax return) as my daily driver--still great fun on the road with 155,300 miles on the odometer. Anxious to see more photos of the great time you are having.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

Andrew, great shots, thanks for posting (already!).
    I am always blown away by the Spyker interior. Its a work of art, but at the same time so over the top. great sounding car though.

Is that CGT in orange the Ruf car? the roof intake looks familiar.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    OK, so now I am officially jealous I am not there. Looks like great fun. Keep those pictures coming. Not sure about the Porsche four door, especially in white. The Mercedes display with the Silver Arrows, now that is cool!!!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

The long way round!

Today we planned to re-run last year's Thrsday drive, through Hunter Liggett Military Base, but when we got to the gate they had just closed the road for a new fire! We ended up going all the way south to Cambria, and the battled our way through holiday traffic all the way up the 1.

It was a long drive, but the weather was superb, until around Big Sur, when we got under the smoke of the massive first almost fifty miles to the north, as you can see in the last shots it was a huge pall, and it still covers us here at the hotel. Ash is falling from the sky like snow, and the air is thick in the throat. I'm very happy it wasn't like this last year!

Andrew Macpherson

Baja Cantina Car Show

Every Thursday this is a local event, but it always gets a little amped up in car week. It certainly felt like three worlds away from last night's event at the Jet Way!

The first two pix really show how thick the smoke was from our hotel in Carmel Valley on the way to the event, by the time we got there the wind shifted, blowing the smoke inland, away from us.

Andrew Macpherson

Monterey '09 - Part 2, Friday. BMW CCA & The Quail

Friday started off with an early visit to the BMW CCA event at the Rancho Canada golf club. It was great to see so many lovely BMW's out in force, and also Fred's beautiful Black/Crema sporting his new matt silver grilles, which looked wonderful on the black car.

Andrew Macpherson

The Quail

As those of us in the 32 car Z8 group last year know, The Quail is by far the best event of the weekend, and this year it was just as wonderful.

The first shot tries to capture the feeling you get when you walk in through the entrance tent, and see the most elegant Concours in the land spread out before you. None of the velvet ropes, "You can't come in here, you're not on the list" nonsense of Pebble here, once you're in you're really treated like a King for a Day.

Best of show was the lovely Alfa 8C at in the second frames, and the special presentation that drove over from the track this year was pre-war racers. It was a nice surprise to see collector and racer Greg Johnson, the original owner of my Topaz car, come in amongst them in his beautiful black Brooklands Riley. Thee pictures are a potpourri of thing seen wandering the green, enjoy!

Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, great thread, almost as good as being there! thanks, John

Smile Monterey '09 - Part 3, Laguna Seca

Saturday was simply wonderful, and I took so many pictures I figured it needed a post to itself as they'll take a while to load!

The day started out with a nice walk through the paddock, getting closer to the cars than you can in any other form of motorsport. This first set of shots gives a flavor of what was running around in the paddock area.

Andrew Macpherson

Since it was a Porsche year, the stars of the show were the big super power cars of the seventies and eighties. Here is a taste of the bold graphics of what was then a new era of sponsorship and car design.

Andrew Macpherson

Next up is a walk across the infield to catch some of the morning's qualifying laps, showing the view from either side of the bridge between turns 4 & 5.

Andrew Macpherson

Lunchtime and paying homage, well dollars and no sense anyway, to the gods of questionable track fare, followed by the days racing. They run the clock backwards, starting with oldest first, and getting younger as the day goes on. The second race featured Dr Greg Johnson, first owner of my blue Z8, in his 1930's Brooklands Riley, car 71, seen by the bridge between turns 3 and 4.
    For the following race we walked up to turn 10, then up the hill to 9.

Andrew Macpherson

The Corkscrew.

Arguably the most famous corner in American racing, the Corkscrew always attracts a faithful crowd to the cooling shade of it's oaks. It is not just a great spot to watch, Laguna can often be a baking hot dust bowl of a track. We spent a few races enjoying the shade, and all these shots were taken from the same spot. These are some of the most gorgeous cars ever made IMHO.

Andrew Macpherson

Last but not least, the Big Guns!

What an incredibly well run day, the racing was non stop, and the crowd were wonderful. Having been to many races all over the world, this one is really one of the greatest motorsports events anywhere. If you love cars, this is a real 'must see'.

Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew. Amazing pics. That''s why I didn't bother carrying my camera! Love the D type coming out of the corkscrew, and thanks for the AMDB1 (?) I heard from the F club group, that the driver of the TR that hit the tires at the top of the corkscrew is a really nice, but aging gent (parkinsons?) who had a shunt at another event in the last year so this may have been his last event. He has been campaigning that car for many years. We couldn't see it, but the whole right side got pretty torn up.

Thats so sad, I remember him from 2004 when I took a lot of shots of his car, and he was already quite elderly then. Good for him for pushing it for as long and as far as he could.
    Andrew Macpherson

Shocking news!

The team who have put on the Monterey Historics will no longer be running the show, but it looks like they and General Racing, Steve Earle's company, will try to do as smooth a transition as possible.

----

In response to the press release issued by SCRAMP on August 16, 2009 (dated August 17) regarding the future of the Monterey Historic Automobile Races? at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Steve Earle, President of General Racing, Ltd., has issued the following statement:

General Racing, which has created and produced the Monterey Historic Automobile Races? for 36 years, will no longer be doing so. In the future SCRAMP, the Sports Car Racing Association of Monterey Peninsula, will organize a new event. On September 5, 2008, I was advised that the economic terms for the agreement between General Racing and SCRAMP were no longer commercially viable for SCRAMP. I?m disappointed that we were not able to come to an agreement that would allow our event to remain in Monterey. General Racing will allow SCRAMP a one-time use of the name Monterey Historic Automobile Races? for the 2010 event.

General Racing will continue the tradition of the Monterey Historics at the Wine Country Classic at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., in early June 2010.

We are very proud of all that we have accomplished with the Monterey Historic Automobile Races?, and I truly believe that we have brought something special to the community of Monterey as an event of world renown and the generator of substantial revenue for the local economy and the charities to which SCRAMP contributes.

The purpose of General Racing, Ltd., is and always has been to encourage the restoration, preservation and use of historic, sports and racing cars. General Racing events and races are for the enjoyment of participants and enthusiasts alike.

------

Scramp's Press Release
    Andrew Macpherson

More shots of David Lust's car

These sad shots show what happened to poor old David Lust's Ferrari at the corkscrew.
    Andrew Macpherson

Looks like terrible driving.... took a really bad line way too hot off the top of the hill and completely miscalculated where his apex needed to be as he headed off the hill and when straight into the wall once in the soft dirt. Not sure if he was trying to cut the line close to the inside of the corkscrew or not but with wheels straight ahead the whole time on the video with no change in the direction of the front wheels until after he hits the walll, sure make me wonder if he or did he, as a driver out of control, just freeze or what??
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

The problem is that you can't see the apex until it's too late. It's one of those pick a spot on the horizon and pray corners.
    thegunguy

Don't forget he'd raced there since the very first Monterey Historics, which he won in this same car. This was no simple racing accident, I suspect he lost the brakes, as was quoted on auto-sources.org;

A 1958 Ferrari 250 TR completely lost its brakes before Laguna Sega?s Corkscrew, caught air while going through the gravel trap, and came to a stop only after hitting a tire wall.

Here are a couple of stories of him and his car, they make a good read.
    http://vintageracecar.com/pages/this...=31&magiid=103
    http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/DavidLove3.html
    Andrew Macpherson

I believe he actually went off course twice in that race.
    Jim, Fl.

Yes, the first time was at the Corkscrew too, I was looking at another car through my camera when it happened, it was just a lap or two before his big off, so I suspect something was not working quite right one way or another.
    Andrew Macpherson

Those pics are nice, what cam & lense were you shooting with?
    Jim

Canon EOS 1Ds mklll with a 24-70 zoom, and the 135 f2, which is the sharpest lens Canon make.
    Andrew Macpherson

loss of brakes would certainly explain it!!

A 1958 Ferrari 250 TR completely lost its brakes before Laguna Sega?s Corkscrew, caught air while going through the gravel trap, and came to a stop only after hitting a tire wall.
    Can not imagine loosing brakes in that but alas, the risks of racing or driving any vehicle. Glad he was not hurt.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    135 f2.
    I suspect alien technology.

I'm still amazed at how distortion free that super-wide was that we looked at in December. Canon really has left everyone behind.
    thegunguy

I know, that 14mm is one hell of a lens, but I still fancy the madly distorting 15mm, its so wrong that its right! The new G series camera looks AMAZING!!! Can't wait to get mine, anyone want a mint, hardly used G10?
    Andrew Macpherson

Getting OT, but...

Interesting on the G11...

I'm not a mega-pixel chaser. So, the drop to 10MP for increased sensitivity would be welcome, but I'll likely hang on to the G10 until we see what the 12 is like next year. I'd really like to se them improve the lens rather than monkey about with all the high-tech bits. A few stops at both ends would really be welcome - or even reaching out beyond 200mm equiv. I really do love the G10 quite a bit. In fact, I'm not sure I've enjoyed a camera as much since my old trusty F3HP tank.

Yes, the 15mm is comically fun, but that 14...I just don't understand.
    thegunguy

but I'll likely hang on to the G10 until we see what the 12 is like next year.
    Me too, unless I just have to try the new Olympus, they've really stolen a lead on Canon this time!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    As you saw in Andrew's postings, I was committed to the BMW Concours on Friday - Central Valley is my home chapter, they were sponsoring the event, and when you have a Z8, you're expected to show it. So I didn't get to go to the Quail.

Adding to Andrew's pictures of the Quail, however, the ALFA 8C was an 8C2900 - this was produced in the late '30s and followed in the tradition of the Vittorio Jano comptition cars -starting with the 6C1750, the 8C2300 and concluding with the 8C2900. An 8C2900 won the first USGP, held at Watkins Glen, NY in 1948.

The silver coupe is a Pegaso. The Pegaso was a super car of the 1950's - the last automotive offering of Hispano Suiza, and very rare.

After the concours, I drove over to Pacific Grove to take place in the PG Auto Rally. This is a fun event that encompasses the entire range of the automotive hobby - Pebble Beach and Moterey Historices entrants, to classic drivers, hot rods and customs -- to give you an idea of the cars that tek part in this event I was following a 1939 Wilys Overland, and was leading a Lotus 11. The drive goes from Pacific Grove to Carmel along the 17 Mile Drive, which is lined by crowds cheering on the entrants. The cars are on display from 1PM until 6PM on Lighthouse Ave, and I was parked next to a 330 GTC -- my Z8 was drawing a bigger crowd of admirers that the Ferrari!

A note on prepping the Z8 - the brushed stainless interior trim can be removed (T-30 Torx fasteners) and cleaned using a metal polish, such as Simichrome and a Scotchbrite pad to remove small scratches going cross-grain. When done, use an ammonia based cleaner (like Windex) to remove the last of the black oxidation from the surface.