Thread: More about the Driver's Experience cars

Z8 Novice

More about the Driver's Experience cars

Just bought a 2000 Z8 Red/Crema from a private party who bought it used in Florida in 2005 from Prestige Motors. It must be an early 2000 model as the Vin ends in 60022. I am curious about how best to determine/confirm if this car was indeed a "driver's experience" Z8 and more importantly what implications that would have for the condition of the car. It does have the retro fitted bar across the front of the engine to answer the strut tower issue. It has a clean CARFAX report but only from 2005 to date. It seems to drive and handle very well. Just curious if anyone might be able to comment. Thanks. -Ben

Hi Ben, and welcome!

That VIN is from the Press Fleet, and most of those cars were used in the DE, but they were also pretty well refurbished at the end of the DE. Most of them did 12-15,000 miles and were sold at auction as used but unregistered cars in late 04. You will be able to pull up your car's full history through BMW NA, and it should show all that was done to it.

In the big picture the only thing that can really get hurt at the DE was the clutch and rear drive line, and most of those parts were replaced in the refurbishment. The engine was certainly well used, but it has a rev limiter, so the use at the DE really won't have really hurt it, and there is nothing about the DE that would have compromised the chassis, so overall I'd say you have no cause for undue concern.

If the seller knew it was an ex-DE car and sold it without full disclosure that is questionable, but he may well have bought it without knowing, as many of these cars wee sold without full disclosure by the dealers who bought them at auction.

In the fullness of time I think that the DE cars will have a certain collectability all of their own, so I really wouldn't be too stressed about it from that perspective. BMW AG took 60013 back to Germany, fully refurbished it at BMW Classic in Munich and sold it for over a $170,000 to a collector in Moscow last Nov!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks very much for the information. I will be checking into the VIN with BMW shortly. This is truly an invaluable website/forum.
    -Ben

Ben,

Welcome. The bottom line with your purchase is that if you plan to use this as a daily driver, just enjoy the hell out of it. If, however, you bought it as an investment, then worry about it's history BEFORE you do anything with it.

Scott