Thread: A really splendid interior...

A really splendid interior...

I have never seen a car interior I thought was perfect, but the new Supersport Bentley comes close.

I have so much respect for VAG turning the slow selling Phaeton platform into the Continental. Taking a car you can sell for $85k, rebody and rebadge it, and not be able to make them quickly enough to sell at $185k is a stroke of marketing genius, maybe the best comeback ever for any automotive platform.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Beautiful indeed!

Looks like a Chrysler with tuck and roll. Sorry.

Scott

Whats tuck and roll?
    Andrew Macpherson

The easiest way to describe it is to have you look at inserts on the seats.

Tuck and roll became popular (at least in Northern Cali) in the 60's and 70's as a cheap but fancy look to upholstery.

Scott

I can see the similarity in the diamond stitch design for sure! I think the super luxury Alcantera & leather in the Bentley will look and feel a whole lot nicer thought!
    Andrew Macpherson

I have also never been a fan of carbon fiber interiors or anything that looks like it.

I like very traditional, simple looking interiors.

Scott

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    It's O.K. but doesn't hold a candle to a Z8, IMHO. The Z8 has the most sensual and pleasing interior design of any car I have ever seen. The design is nothing short of magic!

The knuckle head that designed the Z8 center arm rest should have been taking his meds that day. The seat heat switch placement and the overall design is 3rd rate.

Scott

I wonder what the original marketing crew was thinking when they exclaimed, "yes, people will buy an $80k VW."
    thegunguy

I also like the quilting on the Connie's cousins from Lambo.
    thegunguy

Here is what they were thinking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Phaeton

The expression "Build it and they will come" failed miserably in this case. So they resorted to "Buy one that is already being built and they will come". Yea right. Not in this economy.

Scott

Yeah, the 80K VW idea was a real long shot, and it bit then on the behind hard - but oh what a come back, they can't make enough of the rebadged version above!

It is an odd thing that VW (VAG) own Bugatti and Lambo but are themselves now owned by Porsche, it seems that there is a lot of muddled crossover in their many product line. While BMW may not have any beautiful of exciting cars at least they have it nice and simple product line.
    Andrew Macpherson

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    While BMW may not have any beautiful of exciting cars at least they have it nice and simple product line.

Have you not seen / driven an M6???? And I always admired you for having a good eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    Have you not seen / driven an M6???? And I always admired you for having a good eye!
    Sorry, but as the original owner of the true M6 (e24), that butt ugly, yes pun intended, monstrosity does not deserve to be call a 6 series or an M6 for that matter. The Paul Bracq designed e24 6er is a timeless beauty, the current 8 se..., errr 6 series is anything butt (pun intended again).
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

What year was yours? I am referring to the E63/64. It's a luxurious, 500 horse rocket.

Scott

What year was yours? I am referring to the E63/64. It's a luxurious, 500 horse rocket.

Scott
    So am I. My M6 is a 1988 with 32K original and babied miles. It sits next to my Z8 in the garage.

The e63/64 is indeed luxurious and is indeed fast, unfortunately it's also ugly as sin.

My apologies to anyone here that owns one, it's just one man's opinion.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Preach on Carlos. The current M6 is a real failure in design for BMW, both inside and out.
    thegunguy

I agree that the e24 has timeless lines and if I were in to sedans, I would love to own one. I also will say that many, if not most, of BMW's models have rounded out some of the defined square lines that helped BMW stand out in the US market. The latest Z4 is a prime example of diversion from what it represents. What started out as a sports car (the Z3) manifested itself into a luxury convertible (Z8) to a drop hard top almost the size of a 3 series. Somehow, after the Z3, the concept of "sports car" was lost.

IMHO the new 6 is the ugliest duckling of them all, well no, it's equally ugly as the 5 & 7 series and the Z4! Hell. BMW's trademark is UGLY cars. On the positive side they do make Chryslers and Caddys look mighty fine, and that takes some doing!
    Andrew Macpherson

PS: Scott, you may have missed this - http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showpost.php?p=8634&postcount=5
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks. That is a great article. It would be interesting to read his opinion of non-performance related aspects.

I have had the pleasure of riding with Fred Kern in his from Hearst Castle to Paso Robles and was very impressed with the ride. I'd like to get behind the wheel and take her for a spin.

Scott

I agree that the e24 has timeless lines and if I were in to sedans, I would love to own one. I also will say that many, if not most, of BMW's models have rounded out some of the defined square lines that helped BMW stand out in the US market. The latest Z4 is a prime example of diversion from what it represents. What started out as a sports car (the Z3) manifested itself into a luxury convertible (Z8) to a drop hard top almost the size of a 3 series. Somehow, after the Z3, the concept of "sports car" was lost.
    Scott, you might be thinking of the e28, or e23, or...? the e24 is a rather sexy (two-door) coupe, not a sedan.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

interesting to read his opinion of non-performance related aspects.
    You can ask me whatever else you'd like to know, and I'm sure Rifle, Ken & Jeff will also have things to add, since we were all lent the same M6 convertibles to join the Z8 Club's Mille Miglia event. I think I said it all there, great machine, ugly as sin!
    Andrew Macpherson

Dan,

If it has a back seat, it's wayyy to big for me and Andrew, if it's fast then it's a blur so looks are irrelevant.

By the way, it will be interesting to see where BMW design heads with Bangle's departure. It may be a few years before we see much in the way of new design but it should be interesting.

Everyone enjoy PS tomorrow. I am headed to the coast.