Thread: Ex-DE Z8 (#60031) - Sold

Thumbs down Ex-DE Z8 (#60031) - Sold

Yet another ex-DE car appeared on EBay, 60031 is for sale by Prestige BMW of Ramsey in New Jersey.

I am not sure yet if they are selling it with full disclosure, I emailed them to ask if it has its full history. I would pay extra attention to the passenger side shock tower dome, it may be fine, but it looks a bit domed in this pic. Also there are no shots of the soft top strings and fabric, a common area of concern.

I have no issue with buying an ex-DE car so long as it comes with full disclosure, and full paperwork detailing the end of fleet refurbishments that the DE cars were given, and most importantly is priced to reflect its harsh early use. I wouldn't want to pay a dime over $80k for this car in this market, assuming the soft top and domes are in good shape - if they aren't save your money for a better example.

There are several shots of 60031 at the DE over in the Gallery, it is car #10.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sadly another dealer telling outright lies....

2/22/2009 8:01a

Thank you for your inquiry on our eBay auction.

This BMW Z8 has been in the "Prestige Family Of Dealerships" owner's personal collection of cars since it was Brand new.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Thanks.

Dwight D. Senior

Phone: 201.258.6027
    Cell: 646.483.5298

Email: [email protected]

Prestige BMW
    985 Route 17 South
    Ramsey, NJ. 07446

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
    Andrew Macpherson

The dealership must be called on this. Its one thing for an independent dealer to be "mistaken", but for an authorized dealer- it tarnishes the entire marque. Is it absolutely certain that #31 was at the DE?

Yes, I made a list of all the cars at the Z8 DE when I was there, and 60031 was the highest number VIN on my list - as noted above it was car #10 when I was there. I wasn't able to get the VIN numbers of the Alpina's that were a part of the Z8 DE as they didn't arrive at the DE until after I did the event, so the Alpina's that took part in it had far less of a hard life than the Z8's. When I went all the Z8's in the DE were 2000 year cars, with VIN's #60008-60031. The Z8 DE ran from '01 all the way through till mid '04, so all the DE cars had close to 4 years and 20,000 miles of very hard use.

My own story from the Z8 DE is here, and there are pictures in the Gallery from other owners here, here and here.
    Andrew Macpherson

This came in from the dealership this morning....

Dear macfly,

Thanks for getting back to me on the BMW Z8. I double checked this Z8 for the date our Owner Aquired this one and you were right. He took ownership of this BMW on 7/30/2004.
    Andrew Macpherson

Now that the facts are verified, will there be full disclosure? Ahhh, the suspense...
    By the way, this issue further validates the value of an active owner's group. We have a huge advantage in that we have very talented people who are documenting the history of the car and individual experiences in a media that will last forever. This is a resource which will add value to our Z8's in the future as it has already added immeasurable pleasure to our lives.

DE Car

A friend of mine just bought a new x5 from this dealership and told me of this car. The sales critter indicated it was the owners personal car with the presumption he had it since new. Since this dealership is 20 minutes from my house I thought I would take a look, but you guys saved me the trouble, Thanks

You should go by and see if they are disclosing it's past history. May be fun.

Scott

de car

I just may do that, act like interested parrty, see what the schpeil is and then innocently say "hey, this is a pretty low serial number car, didnt BMW have a test driver program for the first 20 or so cars? " and then wait for the explanation

A pocket tape recorder would be fun.

Scott

60031 is still on the market...

Prestige BMW of Ramsay eventually sold DE car 60031 with disclosure. They were asking $80,000 for it, not a terrible price, but I feel was worth maybe ten less.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Hmm, that makes mine #6 production. Are we pretty sure the DE cars stopped at 0031? I know you took all the numbers when you went Andrew, but was that in late 1999 or sometime in 2000? Did they only use early cars for the DE experience?
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

It my my understanding that 60033 was the first customer car, making yours the fourth.
    Andrew Macpherson