Thread: Dash Delamination

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Dash Delamination

Anyone:

With the Z8 dash delamination being what it is, would Bill Stuart entertain the idea of BMW honoring a fix for cars affected by this. This is such a costly repair and is related to a fail material (glue) used in the manufacturing process that it is something that should not have occurred in these cars and especially if it only occurs in certain year productions. My car has always been garaged and never parked outside for any length of time so I know it isn't from excessive sun or heat exposure.

Any thoughts on getting BMW NA to possibly help this elite BMW car ownership club with this problem?
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Sport Button On
    I have the same problem and my dealer cannot seem to get any kind of break from BMW on this. I only have 13,000 miles and my car has always been garaged also. The fix at full price is about $5,000.

I just spoke to J?rgen at the Z8 Club and he said that this hasn't been an issue in the EU, so it must be something to do with the glue and the weather conditions here in the US, but since nearly all our cars are garaged that doesn't make sense either. It is certainly odd that it only seems to show up here, but as of this moment it isn't something easy to find a cause for.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Mine too @ 8000 miles

Hi, I have the same problem. I bought the car with 6500 miles on it, always garaged and the dash was bubbled. Now I have 8000 miles and it is about the same. The bubbling is mostly around the air vents.

For what it is worth, i was at Retromobile here in Paris today. At the main entrance was a BMW/Mini factory with the BMW France club stand. In the middle was a Z8 on a turn table. The car was well presented in my color scheme (slvr/blk), except it had one headlight lens fogged. I took note of the dash and saw no bubbling, but the fogged headlight made me chuckle.

I have been a lurker on this board for about a year really, except for a few posts. I am in Paris this week for business and stole some time to visit retromobile. I owe it to the board to post some pics and I will sometime in the next day or so. The show was interesting. The Bonhams auction cars were on display. If you follow the auctions at all, the $4.4 million Bugatti was sold here on Monday. It looked like a real clunker, save that shiny million dollar badge on the grill.

Awesome, pix please! Were you in Paris for Premiere Vision? My other half is there too this week.
    Andrew Macpherson

Yes, for PV. Spend most of my time at Indigo which is in one of the the PV halls.

I'd say you should both grab a coffee as she is now Creative Director for 3 Dot here in CA, but she's on to NYC in the am.
    Andrew Macpherson

I'm familar with 3 dot. Several years ago we had some sales people in Chicago that also represented 3 dot. They have done a great job. How long has she been with them?

I'm done with the show too. This is a long haul from Honolulu so i am spending an extra day here tomorrow. Then to Vegas for what is left of Magic and the splinter shows.

She joined 3 Dot in Oct after the holding company that used to 'own' her line went to the wall. (www.pegah.us) I think they finally announced it in WWD last week.
    Andrew Macpherson

A lot of firms in this industry are hitting the wall. For those that survive, the compression in the market will ultimately benefit us -provided there are still retailers to sell product to!

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    My 01, #AH60496, had the delaminating problem. Bill Stuart got the part, which is around $1,000, goodwilled to me. Since my car had only 4,000 miles on it, the service writer at the dealership got BMW to goodwill the labor, so it cost me zero. My 02, #AH61743, does not have the problem, so I think it is mainly in the earlier cars.

DSC Off
    I have also dash delamination. I live in the Netherlands. The climate is is a little bit better than in the UK. My Z1 has not that problem(200.000km). It must be a glue problem. Do we need a poll?
    Z8Ros

It seems random

My '02 Z8 #61874 had delamination early in its lifetime, and the dash was replaced while under warranty.

Do we need a poll?
    Great idea, I've started a new thread to address this in the Problems section.
    http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=1643
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

I got mine fixed

I went to Lawrence auto trim in Chicago. They had to remove the windshield to work on it but they were able to re-glue the leather. I was lucky. It looks perfect.

My cost was much less than 5000. It vary's depending on what they need to do.

Their number is 312 935-9930. Ask for Jeff.