Thread: Chris Bangle exit........

Chris Bangle exit........

Latest news from BMW HQ; Adrian van Hooydonk (Dutchman) will replace Chris Bangle as chief designer at BMW....

http://www.dowjones.de/site/2009/02/...ign-chief.html

kind regards from Holland; RR

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I also just got the e mail from autoweek. Chris Bangle is gone
    Panda

Unfortunately, as van Hooydonk has been Bangle's understudy for so long, I can't get too excited about this, but perhaps he his new found autonomy will give him the freedom to develop his own style and bring beauty back to the brand.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Unfortunately, as van Hooydonk has been Bangle's understudy for so long, I can't get too excited about this, but perhaps he his new found autonomy will give him the freedom to develop his own style and bring beauty back to the brand.
    I'm no fan of Chris Bangle and certainly no apoligist, but I think he gets unfair treatment. He never designed any cars, his underlings did. So, the Z8 was done under his reign, but Fisker gets the credit; however, van Hooydonk penned the butt ugly (pun intended) e63 and e65, but Bangle gets the credit. Something is wrong here.

That said, I'm glad he is leaving. It's time to move in a different direction.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

You're spot on here, Carlos. I've always been one to give credit/critique where it is due. Since Bangle has been the design lead, I ultimately throw the praise (Z8) and blame (anything else post 2000) at his feet has he has been the one to direct the "language" of the designs, and he was certainly the one to "sell" them to BMW management. As has been related to me, his presentations to the board on new models are legendary tales of convincing the decision makers that the "emperor's new clothes" were powerful and beautiful despite their initial reactions in horror. Apparently, he's quite the "salesman". So, while he may not have been the one to pen the design, he is responsible for the way the line looks today. The Z8 is his one beauty.

In person, I found Mr. Bangle to be charming, engaging, and an enjoyable conversationalist. While, I don't like his vision, I do admiring him for "taking a swing" to leave his own mark on the design world and challenge tradition. That takes balls. Amazingly, much of the design world followed his direction, and BMW's sales, until the recent economic influence have never been better. So, while there are many of us that don't care for his direction, you can't argue with his success with the understanding that his ultimate assignment was to help BMW sell more cars. In this he succeeding beyond expectation.

So, cheers to you Mr. Bangle. We'll agree to disagree, but I admire your influence, just not how it was established.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    You're spot on here, Carlos. I've always been one to give credit/critique where it is due. Since Bangle has been the design lead, I ultimately throw the praise (Z8) and blame (anything else post 2000) at his feet has he has been the one to direct the "language" of the designs, and he was certainly the one to "sell" them to BMW management. As has been related to me, his presentations to the board on new models are legendary tales of convincing the decision makers that the "emperor's new clothes" were powerful and beautiful despite their initial reactions in horror. Apparently, he's quite the "salesman". So, while he may not have been the one to pen the design, he is responsible for the way the line looks today. The Z8 is his one beauty.

In person, I found Mr. Bangle to be charming, engaging, and an enjoyable conversationalist. While, I don't like his vision, I do admiring him for "taking a swing" to leave his own mark on the design world and challenge tradition. That takes balls. Amazingly, much of the design world followed his direction, and BMW's sales, until the recent economic influence have never been better. So, while there are many of us that don't care for his direction, you can't argue with his success with the understanding that his ultimate assignment was to help BMW sell more cars. In this he succeeding beyond expectation.

So, cheers to you Mr. Bangle. We'll agree to disagree, but I admire your influence, just not how it was established.
    Very eloquently put and I agree with you 100%. I think that history should judge him to be a far better salesman than designer. The one thing I disliked most about him was his arrogance, but perhaps because of his position that was also his most valuable tool/trait.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Fisker's not exactly a humble soul either. May come with the field...
    thegunguy

Adrian van Hooydonk is really the problem, he butchered RR all on his own, and gave us every ugly duckling the brand has produced since the turn of the millennium. I wonder how long he'll last without Bangle's power of persuasion covering for his hideousness?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Good friends of mine met mr. van Hooijdonk recently in Marrakech; from what I understand the only car the van Hooijdonk really designed is the 6 series.
    (By the way; van Hooijdonk was very nice....)

He is widely credited with being the designer of the hideous 'Peterbilt' RR cars, but if that really wasn't him then many apologies!
    Andrew Macpherson

I think what he meant was the only BMW he drawed was the 6.... (I don't know about RR.....)

p.s. I am not that enthousiastic about the shape of the 6 series....

p.s. I am not that enthousiastic about the shape of the 6 series....
    That makes two of us!
    Andrew Macpherson

As a designer myself...

If nothing else, Bangle, AKA "The salesman" was able to guide BMW away from it's massively conservative past and into the future of distinctive cars unmistakeable for other brands....this is the true value, in building the BMW brand. There is only one thing worse than a polarizing/controversial/ugly design, that's an anonymous or forgetable design. Nobody will forget the bangle butt. The important thing is he took a stand and stuck to his guns. Cadillac has done the same thing and reinvented themselves...love it or hate it, you know who they are unequivocally. To do otherwise is to slip painfully into mediocrity and irrelevance.

While I disagree with the details of many of his designs, I wholeheartedly embrace his philosophy and commitment. Selling that vision to corporate bureaucracy is a daunting and commendable feat.

All that being said, I'm glad to see him go.