Thread: Fun Project - Fantasy Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Fun Project - Fantasy Z8

Why didn't the Z8 get a hood scoop like the 507?

Also, anyone good with a graphics program? So that we could take this thread and see what the 'perfect' Z8 would be like in a true rendering of the suggestions.

Not too much bling, not too radical, but a subtle upgrade to this classic.

I would like to have a hood scoop like the old 507 on the new Z8.

I know we could spec out the perfect mechnical build out for brakes, tires, chip limiter, headlights, exhaust, and that definitive list would a nice thing to know.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Interesting idea, but what defines the parts used is your principal use for the car. My silver car has all the upgrades I want and need for my uses, principaly doing big open road all day tours across this beautiful land. I use mine as a long haul touring and rallaye car in the classic GT sense, so everything under the skin reflects that. I really love the skin, so my visual changes to the car would be limited to paint and leather. I'd do a high metal content dark gunmetal grey metallic paint and a deep oxblood red interior.

From front to rear as best as I can remember...
    LED side/parking lamp upgrade.
    Rogue Engineering hard polyurethene bushings in the steering linkages.(not yet fitted)
    Dinan Castor plate under the shock tower dome.
    BMW PP above the shock tower dome.
    Alpina EU spec suspension front & rear.
    Brembo big brake kit.
    Dinan swaybars front & rear.
    BMW M Sport 20" wheels & Pirelli P Zero tires.
    CDV remove.
    Dinan chip (throttle is cleaner pick up crisper in sport mode).
    EU spec wide angle rear view mirrors.
    Cartridge leather covered cabin vent panels.
    UUC Shortshift kit and steel gear change knob.
    Ultimate Pedals aluminum pedal set for better heel/toe.
    Z8 luggage set from the Z8 Club.
    Meisterschaft GT exhaust. (not yet fitted)

This AC Ace with Bristol motor is the perfect color combo in my opinion.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    I'm with mac on this. I like the way the car looks as is and, despite switching to BMW M Sport wheels, I admit that the stock wheels look the best on this car. Mechanically, my kind of driving probably uses 1/2 the capabilities of the car and I can't justify any sort of upgrade. I even like the stock exhaust note.
    62050 - Z8

As time goes by I also am coming around to liking the look of the heavy stock wheels best, but our wider 20" rims with the Pirelli's and all the other suspension mods really do make the car more sure footed when you pick up the pace on the country and mountain roads that make this south west corner of the country so special to drive around.

Given unlimited funds I'd have a custom set of 19" OEM replicas made in the wider sizes of our 20" giving the best of both worlds, and keeping the Brembos, which I love in both look and feel.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Smile

That Bristol color combo looks familiar.

Your family colors I believe!
    Andrew Macpherson

I still think the hood scoop would have been nice, but I am partial to them from the old Datsun, Alpha's, Ferrari's, and Healy's.

Also, I think a little more rear fender like to the 507 would have taken us away from the Jaguar-esque look of the Z.

Just having some fun - thinking out of the box by looking at the original.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

If aesthetics were the only concern, I would eliminate the chin spoiler and lower air intake, replacing them with paneling that continued the contour of the nose, rake the windshield back a few degrees, make the roll-over hoops vertical, have the soft top recess fully below the rear deck, use a smaller rear view mirror, install Talbot "bullet" side view mirrors, lower the car 1", space the rear wheels out about 10mm, swap the tach and the speedo positions, and run OE style wheels in a 19" size.

By the way, that car is an AC Ace with a Bristol engine, sometimes called an AC Bristol, and is pre AC Cobra period which used a different body style. It was also available in a coupe version, called the AC Aceca.

Now we are having fun - only if we could have a working graphic to morph these thoughts!
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Thought of a few more things: larger diameter rotors to fill in the centers of the 19" wheels and silver painted aluminum brake calipers, hide-a-way wiper blades, dual readout temp gauge (oil/water), 200 mph speedo, lots of carbon fiber under the hood instead of all that plastic, and a non-airbag steering wheel.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    Though, of course, I am prejudiced and there are only two Cartridge Z8's:

Cartridge Leather Sunvisors With Leather Covered Mirror Doors

Cartridge Leather Rear Interior Grills

Cartridge Leather Hardtop Attachment Grills

Cartridge Leather Left And Right Front Trunk Wall Grills

Cartridge Leather Rear Trunk Panel Including Left And Right Doors And Door Locking Buttons

Cartridge Carbon Fiber Inner Door Sills

Cartridge Exhaust System Including:

1. 321 Stainless Steel Header Flanges

2. 321 Stainless Steel Collectors

3. 321 Stainless Steel Pipes From Engine Block To Catalytic Converters

4. 304 Stainless Steel High Performance Lightweight Catalytic Converters

5. 321 Stainless Steel Crossover Pipe Between Catalytic Converters And Mufflers

6. 321 Stainless Steel Exhaust Flanges

7. 321 Stainless Steel Pipes From Catalytic Converters To Mufflers

8. 321 Stainless Steel Mufflers

9. 321 Stainless Steel Clamps In Place Of Certain Flanges

10. 321 Stainless Steel Tail Pipes

11. Aluminum Exhaust System Cross Member

12. Titanium Tail Pipe Mounts

13. Silver Plated Metal Fasteners As Appropriate

14. Titanium Fasteners As Appropriate

Cartridge Drive Shaft Including:

1. Carbon Fiber Shaft

2. Bonded Aluminum Engine Side End

3. Bonded Titanium Differential End With Lightweight Constant Velocity Joint With Ceramic Ball Bearings

4. Krytox GPL 297 Grease

5. Specially Made Fasteners

Cartridge Enhanced Transmission Mounts

Cartridge Lightweight Quaife Torque Sensing Differential

Cartridge Drive Axle Assemblies Including:

1. Lightweight Constant Velocity Joints Including:

a. Cartridge Ceramic Ball Bearings

b. Inboard Constant Velocity Joints With Cooling Ribs And Removable Aluminum Covers

c. Outboard Constant Velocity Joints With Removable Aluminum Covers

2. Aermet? Drilled Removable Axle Shafts Coated With Ti-Nitride And Titanium End Caps

3. High Temperature Aerospace Boots

4. 300M Fasteners Titanium Washers

5. Krytox GPL 297 Grease

Cartridge Suspension Including:

1. Front Suspension Including:

a. Aluminum Front Uniball Camber Adjustable Front Strut Mounts With Titanium Washers

b. Billet Aluminum Front Struts With 2-Way Adjustable And Ride Height Adjustable Dampers

c. Titanium Damper Nut

d. Titanium Beta C Springs

e. Enhanced Uprights

f. Enhanced Control Arms

g. Metal Fasteners And Titanium Washers For Ball Joints

2. Rear Suspension Including:

a. Aluminum Uniball Rear Damper Mounts With Titanium Washers

b. 2-Way Adjustable And Ride Height Adjustable Rear Dampers

c. Titanium Damper Nut

d. Titanium Beta C Springs

e. Enhanced Rear Control Arms

f. Billet Aluminum Wishbones

g. Billet Aluminum Integral Links

h. Billet Aluminum Crush Sleeves

i. Billet Aluminum Subframe Washers

3. High Strength Metal Fasteners As Appropriate

4. Titanium Fasteners As Appropriate

Cartridge Anti Roll Bar System Including:

1. Ti-nitrided Titanium/Anodized Aluminum Double Adjustable Front Drop Links With Titanium Locking Nuts And Silver Plated Mounting Washers And Nuts

2. 5-Position Electroless Nickel Coated Adjustable 31.75 Millimeter Outside Diameter x 2.64 Millimeter Wall Thickness 4130 Chromium Molybdenum Steel Tube Front Anti-Roll Bar With Machined 4130 Ends

3. Billet Machined Anodized Aluminum Front Anti Roll Bar Mounting Blocks With Titanium Fasteners

4. Machined Orkot? Front Bushings

5. Enhanced Welded Aluminum Rear Anti-Roll Bar Body Brackets With Dual Fastener Provision

6. Ti-nitrided Titanium Adjustable Rear Drop Links With Titanium Locking Nuts And Silver Plated Mounting Washers And Nuts

7. 3-Position Electroless Nickel Coated Adjustable 15.875 Millimeter Outside Diameter x 2.64 Millimeter Wall Thickness 4130 Chromium Molybdenum Steel Tube Rear Anti-Roll Bar With Machined 4130 Ends

8. Billet Machined Anodized Aluminum Rear Anti Roll Bar Mounting Blocks With Titanium Fasteners

9. Machined Orkot? Rear Bushings

Cartridge Brake System Including:

1. Aluminum Monobloc Front Calipers Including:

a. 8 Cross and Gun Drilled Titanium Insert Aluminum Pistons Per Caliper

b. Air Gaps

c. Two Pads Per Side

d. Titanium Quick Disconnect Valves In Place Of Bleed Screws

e. Billet Machined Anodized Aluminum Reduced Weight Caliper Mounting Brackets

f. Raychem Covered Lightweight Stainless Steel Braided Flexible Brake Lines With Machined Titanium Fittings

g. Billet Machined Anodized Aluminum Left And Right Brake Lines Brackets

2. Aluminum Monobloc Rear Calipers Including:

a. 4 Cross and Gun Drilled Titanium Insert Aluminum Pistons Per Caliper

b. Air Gaps

c. Dual Pads

d. Titanium Quick Disconnect Valves In Place Of Bleed Screws

e. Billet Machined Anodized Aluminum Reduced Weight Caliper Mounting Brackets

f. Raychem Covered Lightweight Stainless Steel Braided Flexible Brake Lines With Machined Titanium Fittings

3. 2618 Aluminum Floating Front And Rear Brake Disk Bells

4. Slotted And Cross-Drilled Front And Rear Metal Disks (380 Millimeter x 32 Millimeter Front, 345 Millimeter x 28 Millimeter Rear)

5. High Performance Brake Pads

6. High Performance Synthetic Brake Fluid

Cartridge Chassis Reinforcement:

1. Anodized Aluminum Damper Tower Reinforcement Plates

Cartridge Alpina Design 1-Piece Machined Aluminum Front and Rear Wheels

Cartridge Enhanced Anodized Aluminum Front Subframe With Stainless Steel Inserts

Cartridge Enhanced Differential Cover With Titanium Fasteners

Cartridge Enhanced And Reduced Weight Charcoal Canister Cover

Cartridge Enhanced And Reduced Weight Engine Bracket

Cartridge Enhanced And Reduced Weight Transmission Bracket

Titanium Undertray Fasteners

Titanium Fender Liner Fasteners

Cartridge Battery Cutoff Switch With Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Bracket

Cartridge Lightweight Battery Holder

Titanium Fasteners Used As Appropriate

Cartridge Black Anodized Aluminum License Plate Frame And Backing Plate

Wow, and when do we get to see some shots of the final car, it deserves it's own story at this point!

GM thanks for the heads up on the AC, shows how vague I am about things older than me - and there don't seem to be too many of them around these days!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    When you come to the East Coast and take the pictures.

Happy New Year by the way!

I'll be there in NYC in late Jan, but thats not likely to be a sunny, car friendly trip, so maybe in May, which is my next planned trip in at this point.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sounds like another studio shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Grease Monkey View Post
    If aesthetics were the only concern, I would eliminate the chin spoiler and lower air intake, replacing them with paneling that continued the contour of the nose, rake the windshield back a few degrees, make the roll-over hoops vertical, have the soft top recess fully below the rear deck, use a smaller rear view mirror, install Talbot "bullet" side view mirrors, lower the car 1", space the rear wheels out about 10mm, swap the tach and the speedo positions, and run OE style wheels in a 19" size.

By the way, that car is an AC Ace with a Bristol engine, sometimes called an AC Bristol, and is pre AC Cobra period which used a different body style. It was also available in a coupe version, called the AC Aceca.
    I almost (not really, but looked at and wanted) buying an Aceca from a guy (or old lady?) in Pacific Grove, right near Monterey, while I was in high school. I seem to recall it having strait 6 (Bristol?), and being about 1977, we talked about dropping in a ford V8 to make some sort of "Cobra Coupe". Given the beauty of the AC cars, should have bought it for the 4k or so they wanted, and just kept it. Of course, 4k was a fortune to a high school kid like me. Then there was the time I could have..........

What a coincidence: I did buy an AC Aceca while in high school (sold my TR3A) and it had been fitted with a Ford 260ci engine which was the same motor used in the very earliest Cobras. Not well sorted but lots of fun to drive. My next step was to a 427 Cobra, one of my all time favorite cars. The body style of the AC Ace was inspired by the Ferrari 166 Barchetta and I think the Ace was actually a prettier car. The AC Aceca was the GT version of the Ace and some consider it to be even better looking. They were produced from 1953 to 1964. The earliest cars used an AC built six cylinder engine, then they switched to the Bristol six, and finally ran a 2.6 litre Ford Zephyr motor. The Ford engine was lower in profile so AC was able to lower the hood of the Ace and that body style led directly to the Cobra version, which was produced by AC under contract to Carrol Shelby. It was my love affair with Cobras that led me to purchase my first Z8 since it reminded me so much of a modern day Cobra: long hood, short tail, big V8 up front, rear wheel drive, 2 seat convertible, with lots of swoopy lines, a beautifully curved hood, and feline haunches. The biggest difference, of course, is the sophistication of the Z8. The Cobra is downright primitive by comparison. And yes, you should have bought that Aceca: today they are worth around $150k!

Thanks for the run down. Yes, funny coincidence! Obviously the reason I have a Z8 runs back to that AC, my friends GT6, Spitfires, MGC, my girlfriends 190 SL (style only!) and my eternal lust for an E Type, and lots of hours under the hood of 60s American Muscle of course.

Should have bought a lot of things! Like Chers Fly yellow Daytona Spyder (not a chop) $100,000 circa 1979 or 80

I attached a picture of my friends 166mm. Yes, THE unrestored barn find. He drives it around town and brings it (and some other rare F cars) to our local shows we put on.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Here is a fun fact. Cher's Daytona Spyder was the Los Angeles Auto Show car at the Ferrari display in January of 1973. It was white with a black interior with red inserts in the seats. Cher bought it for about 18 to 20 grand when new. It did get painted fly yellow, but I believe it was done by the second owner, who was Burt Sugarman. Not sure where the car is today.

Interesting, talk about obscure trivia! Awesome. When I saw the car it was for sale at BMC Monterey (as I recall).

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Bristol six

The Bristol six was indeed the BMW 328 engine. Bristol was the importer for BMW in the UK prior to WWII and was very familiar with the 328 and the 328's enigine. After the war, the remaing stock of 328 engines, and the tooling to produce them were claimed as war reparations, nad went to Bristol to produce engines.

Interestingly, BMW repalced the 328 engine with the all-aluminum V8, which inspired the 507.