Thread: Navigation DVD Upgrade

Z8 Novice

Navigation DVD Upgrade

Does BMW offer new DVD with updated road map for our original navigation system?

I'd suggest contact Dana @ Peter Pan BMW, he should have the answer and hopefully the part for you. Dana Caldwell, Peter Pan BMW, 650-294-2123
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

You can also get them directly from the data supplier Navteq. See the web store for OE BMW navigation.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Thanks. I just checked the site. It's $129 for the new DVD. Just for the comparison, my new portable, touch-screen, full graphic navigation units (TomTom) only cost me $80.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Thanks. I just checked the site. It's $129 for the new DVD. Just for the comparison, my new portable, touch-screen, full graphic navigation units (TomTom) only cost me $80.
    You might want to look at ebay. I found a 2007 DVD for a fraction of the original cost.

Z8 Novice

2000 Navigation

Gents,

My car is a German import into the USA - remember the old days when they came back this way - it was ordered and imported when new because the previous owner couldn't get one in the USA at the money he wanted to pay.

My question is- The German Nav disks were removed, do we know if I can just buy an upgraded disk or do I have to purchase the original disks and then add an upgrade?

Thanks for any help guys.

Pete

The disks fully contain the updated database. So, no need to purchase an original set.

I no longer use the Nav since I've gone to an aftermarket unit, but I just did a search, and you can no longer order the disks directly from NavTeq, the data provider, for a slight savings. It looks like you'll have to get the BMW part number from a service center or online parts supplier.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Thank you for this info gunguy, this definitely helps me and is exactly what I needed to know.

I will probably get an aftermarket unit as well, I remember how limited the Nav was in my first Z8 back in the Uk, but I would like to have a disk in there so at least the Nav works as it should.

Regards

Pete

If this car is older, then the disks will be CD, not DVD, so you'd need to get the one for your area - this makes it even less interesting compared to an aftermarket solution

Great catch. 2003 was the cutover to DVD. Prior years are CD. BMW should be able to sort a part based on your year and region.
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Thanks Everybody,

Absolutely fantastic, I couldn't have asked for more.

Pete

Z8Mania
    *************************IF****************************
    You cannot locate a disc and its the CDROM you need LMK.

FWIW - The ALPINAs have the DVD version installed so you should be able to replace the CD version with the ALPINA version - if that's the direction you want to go. Not sure if that would require any mods or not.

Yes, it is actually a very hard upgrade because the entire bus/canbus system is different. All the Alpinas and the last couple of hundred Z8 had it, but nothing before. At 61888 I'm on the previous CD based system, I think it changed somewhere around 61900.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.