Thread: 3 "new" Z8's, #61884 // #62050 // #61809

3 "new" Z8's, #61884 // #62050 // #61809

A fascinating story, a collector of hundreds of cars, including around eight Z8's, put three of his cars up for sale, a silver, blue and red car each with less than 100 miles for a listed price $160K each.

The red one was snapped up by our own board member RedZ8 as you can see below, but the other two melted back into his collection, and he has withdrawn them for sale. He loves to buy them in, but hates to let them go!

Since these cars are such a rare find, and it is such an interesting Z8 tale I've added all these shots for our long term knowledge base of sold cars.

I guess if he scooped up 3 Z8s after the last stock crash @ 120k ea, and sells them now for 140-160 ea (good luck) he makes a quick 60-120k, not a bad deal for him.

140k for a "new" Z8, I'd say that would be an awesome deal.

A gentleman from the BMW CCA contacted me about a month ago about these cars, I am not sure if he is the one who posted them on Atuotrader and the M5 board or not, but he has a direct connection to the owner, and was asking me what I thought the value of these cars would be. He is the chief instructor for the San Diego Chapter and also runs the N?rberging School for the CCA, so I know that he is 100% reliable. If anyone wants to contact him directly pm me and I'll forward you his mobile.

Two of these cars are up on Autotrader, Red/Black 03 - 77 miles, now sold to our own RedZ8, and this Silver/Black 02 - 74 miles.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The lowest mileage Z8 one could find in the EU in 2008 was a Silver/all Red Individual car that was for sale in Monaco with just 1450 kilometers (about 900 miles) for 145K EUR (about 181K USD).

DSC Off
    Thanks so much for the post, the interest, and kind words.

I am the guy who is assisting the owner in the sale of these cars.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

I do think the silver one may be all that's left by the end of the week.

Gar
    [email protected]
    (760) 497-1015

If you have a brand new Silver/Red or Stratus/Black that the owner decides to let slip let me know!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    I'll be taking delivery of the Red next Tuesday

I'm more excited about being able to drive my Red/Red a lot more and do some mods that I always wanted to do

Yeah, that is awesome news, congratulations!! Did he sell the other two, or is he still on the fence about them?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    It is my understanding that the blue he'll keep and the silver one is available. However, I would check with Gregg as the real deal, understandably, is very fluid in nature.

I should say that if anyone is interested, don't hesitate to contact Gregg. He's a real nice guy and total car nut. These cars are brand new and kept in as good as a condition as possible! I don't think any dealership will be able to do a similar job of storing and caring for a car. I bet that many dealers have Z8s stashed away and will be surfacing them as the economy tanks, but, I would rather buy one from a private collector.
    62050 - Z8

Congrats!

Nice catch. Enjoy!

Congrats, Tony!
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Smoged, preped, and ready for delivery. Thanks Gregg
    Name:  1211081741.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  33.1 KB
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On
    Very nice. Congratulations

Wow, stunning, good for you!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Spectacular.
    When will she break the 100 mile mark?
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Z8 Madness
    I plan on about 50-75 miles spread over a year (fluid flushes, smog tests, running the AC, etc.). I'm also putting together a maintenance calendar to make sure I don't forget to regularly turn the tires, lubricate all rubbers, replace the fuel, wash and wax etc.

At that rate, 100 mile mark will be crossed in the next 3 months. 1200 mile break-in will be in about 15 years
    62050 - Z8

Talking of lubricating the rubber, what is the best stuff for that?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Talking of lubricating the rubber, what is the best stuff for that?
    I placed an order for http://www.zymol.com/zymolseal85oz.aspx . But, I really don't know what to feed the rubber.

Another problem is the fuel. From what I've read, we may have to add some sort of gasoline stabilizer or else the additives in the fuel can become sticky!

I am not comfortable with the idea of adding the "fuel stabilizer," since I don't know what it'll do to the engine. So, I'm going to attempt using a pump to suck the fuel out and dump it in wife's SUV twice a year, then go get another fresh tank of gas.
    62050 - Z8

Gummifledge for the rubber.

Check out www.bavarianauto.com

Scott

OK< I found out it is no longer made, the new 'version' seems to be this Du Pont Krytox product.
    Andrew Macpherson

Bavarian Autoworks site should be www.bavauto.com.

That's correct. My bad.

Gummifledge is made. I have 2 bottles myself. It was discontinued for a few years but the government musta decided that if it does leak while in transit, that vehicle will have no problems with their rubber seals for a long time.

Scott

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Noticed the Topaz car has a tan soft top.
    Anyone know how many Topaz cars came through with this top?
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Z8 Madness
    The sliver one is now on ebay being sold by presumably the second owner. Not sure if they'll get what they are asking for it.
    62050 - Z8

I think that since it has the book, and every goody going it'll sell and ship to Europe in a heartbeat. Interesting that they went to the trouble and expense of registering it in OK when they were just planning to flip it.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    The sliver one is now on ebay being sold by presumably the second owner. Not sure if they'll get what they are asking for it.
    Do you still have contact information for the gentleman that sold you your beautiful red Z?

Z8 Madness
    Banton, I replied to the message you left me earlier. I never had any contact with the "owner" of the collection, instead I worked with the person that took care of the collection and the owner's business office. The person that took care of the collection (and I hope he continues to do so now) goes by the name Gar:

Gar
    [email protected]
    (760) 497-1015

He is also a member on this forum, but I'm not sure how often he checks in. The info above is actually in this thread.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll find a perfect car. This is a good time to be a buyer.
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Novice
    Sorry for posting to you here, as my Sent box shows that it did not go out to you. I assume that that is because I am a new member here. I will check my email spam folder, as I do not show a response from you there.

When you took delivery, was there anything that you needed to do to the car as it was in storage for years? Any suggestions? I also have a call in to The Sports Car Company in La Jolla to see if they have inventory stashed away that is not with a black interior.

Thanks for responding.

Z8 Madness
    The cars, when in the collection, where not permanently stored, instead they were driven from time to time and serviced on a regular basis (yearly). All service work was carefully documented. When I purchased the car, I had all the fluids drained and replaced. I added the performance package, replaced the battery, replaced the RFTs, and replaced the headlights (due to fogging, a common problem). Other than that, nothing.

No problems so far.
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Novice
    I envy you..........

Having spoken with Andrew last year about these magnificent cars, I became entranced with owning one. Alas, a financial reversal kept me out of the market at that time. Things have stabilized, and I find myself starting to look at the Z8 market again. It may be a great time for buyers, but you would not know it by some of the prices that are being asked! My general plan is to find the best one that I can and send it to Dana at PP to have him do some magic. Having read virtually every post on this forum has been enlightening, to say the least.

Thanks for your information.

Z8 Madness
    You're on the right track. Learn all there is to learn and be willing to wait for the right car. I do not understanding the prices that are being asked for these cars!!!
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    Some people think they can ask for the moon and if they wait long enough they might get it- it really depends on how much pressure there is on them to sell. There is also a real split in the marketplace between trophy level cars, then really nice clean late MY low mile cars and then everyone else according to MY and miles. I doubt my 2000 early build (Im car #55- and yes, "I can't drive..." ) with nearly 30k miles would get a princely sum but she's a princess to me none the less.

Poke around the autotraders and ebays and google searches and youll find cars for reasonable money. Also one of the members here I believe is a broker for these things and should be able to help you. I believe his username is HavenhurstKid. Good luck on your search- you will find what you are looking for through a combination of passion and patience.

I know of a nice "Driver" for sale here in the Bay Area. It's silver and black with about 50,000 mi. It can be had for around 80 (or less?). The thing is, it has about $50k in mods. All the Dinan engine stuff plus LSD, etc. etc. etc. I haven't inspected it or driven it, but looks like a great deal if you want lots of upgrades for free.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks, Norcal.

I had seen that one advertised. Those are mods that I would do, which does make it attractive. What I am primarily interested in is Topaz, followed by Red, then Black, then Silver or Stratus, with VERY low miles, and a non-black interior. My last three P-cars all had black interiors and I need a change.

This will be a car that I will keep until my legs fall off. Then it will go to my son.

I spoke with Greggory yesterday, as well as Jim Lyon. Something will come at me eventually that screams BUY ME!

That's what it sounded like, but this would make a nice driver for someone. It may take you a while to check off all your boxes. Good luck and keep us posted!

Z8Mania
    I think Banton, you have it right- you need to get something that inspires you and like you color matters to me. Those dinan mods do seem sweet.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I think Banton, you have it right- you need to get something that inspires you and like you color matters to me. Those dinan mods do seem sweet.
    Would love to be able to buy the mods used and transfer them to the car that I do get

Z8 Madness
    Usually, a big chunk of the expense is in the installation. Transferring parts across two cars can cost you most of the money you save on the used parts. Unless you can do the work yourself.
    62050 - Z8

I already looked at that and spoke to the broker. Never got a call back on that idea, but it doesn't really pencil out anyway.