Thread: might be an owner - so many questions, would love your inputs...

Z8 Novice

might be an owner - so many questions, would love your inputs...

hi all. cliff notes version, on the hunt for an alpina z8, and have a zillion things crossing my mind.

long-winded version...(thanks in advance to all of you who manage to wade through the whole thing.)

a few years ago i had an e46 m3. took it to buttonwillow with my wife one july 4th weekend with driving concepts. there i met andrew, as it was hard to ignore a beautiful z8 being tracked!

ever since i saw the z8, i knew it'd be a car i'd love to have one day. not in the sense of simply a driving tool, but a car that i would not mind driving for the next 40 years. it had a timeless beauty about it, that i'm sure all of you understand.

however, for the sake of practicality, that little dream has been shelved, and as of this writing, for really another 7 yrs, or at least another 2.5 years, when at least 2 of our 3 girls would be in college, and have only 1 left at home.

now a recent set of events-

1. my wife's 5-yr old 4.4 x5 has been at the dealer almost 45 of the last 90 days for a/c problems over 3 separate occasions. it is languishing there as we speak. it has reached the point where it has cost me enough this yr to - believe it or not, just seriously consider donating it to charity to get a better bang for my buck, even under the new rules.

2. she knows i've always loved the alpina, and she actually loves it too, from an aesthetic perspective (which also means she absolutely detests the entire bagled fleet). she has also commented on what the chances are of finding a low-mileage one under our original time line - which meant waiting another 2.5 yrs - that is, might be difficult.

3. she has also recently commented that she'd be happy to drive my wagon around town (it's an 03 540it that has been through dinan's little lab, and is in my humble opinion the closest thing to an ///m5-wannabe touring. God-willing, this thing is going nowhere for a long time, as i really enjoy it as my daily driver. ). and i can get my, well, alpina...

so i started looking. 2-3 available nationwide. limited in choice of colors, so silver it is, with the red/black interior.

now here are my questions, and of course i am cognizant that this is directed at the tightest group of z8 enthusiasts...

1. it is certainly amazing how prices have held. BUT given the way the economy is going - how many of you would think i'd be better off waiting till next yr? i spent the last few days reading up on as many posts as possible, including the economy thread on the bmwz8 board how we may have seen the end of the price stability of the z8. understandably, this will be conjecture. but how low would you all expect to see pristine garage queens go for? it seems cars with 10k or less on mileage have been going for anywhere betweem 125k-140k.

2. along the lines of #1: since my plans are not to purchase it as a museum specimen, i expect to put a good 10k miles a year. (200 miles a weekend - dinner date with my wife, and a shopping trip somewhere, i guess). what sort of depreciation would you all guess - in a previously stronger market, and also in the future (and more depressed) market? for simplicity the 50% depreciation for 'normal' cars, even higher end mb and bmw models, after 4 yrs seems to be realistic, especially in terms of trade-in price in relation to msrp.

3. would some of you owners who have bought and sold your alpina z8 let me know whether it was hard or relatively easy to sell it?

4. some 'competing' issues: there's the appeal of the alpina b7, which i would probably be able to pick up for less than any z8. there is the brutal allure of 500 horses in a sedan - special, yet not necessarily screaming for attention. then some more practical concerns - - bmw is practically giving away some insane deals - was told today i could lease an m6 with an msrp of 113k for about 1400/mo for 3 yrs! with my deductions as my business car, it's an obscene lease that keeps on tickling my inner cheapskate. from a strictly financial standpoint, it is certainly no match to say, the m6. the variable of course is how the alpina's value holds up in the years to come. and there's also the e63 amg estate. 90k. yeah - it'll smoke my supercharged 540, but we'll end up with 2 wagons. now that i'm putting this down in writing, i would definitely say the z8 is without doubt special enough to warrant the price difference. but then again, if it is a car i intend to keep for good, then it is sort of a moot point. i just like having those numbers in hand. you never know.

5. higher mileage owners - any major issues or concern? i will concede i have not read up on the frame issue. is that also an alpina problem that i have to worry about? have any of you sold your alpinas with more than 40k-50k miles? may i ask when (year) you sold them and how much they went for?

6. the one i'm looking at right now is at chicago's perillo bmw. an 03, 10k miles, silver with red/blk, asking 141.9k, vin is AH62442. what is a number i can throw at them? i'm really used to dealing with car pricing, even on ///m cars. but the alpina is in a different league. without trying hard, she offered 135k. i was thinking around 125k - what do you all think, esp with the economy in the dumps? (i guess this is one car i would look at like a house that might be upside down that i would love to live in for the next 10 years regardless..)

7. lastly, a real big favor to ask of someone in socal. i'd love to get a chance to poke and prod someone's alpina, preferably in the color combo i'm tending towards. (nothing against black - i just prefer someone else owning it because the upkeep is horrendous. that crema interior is to die for, though.) i'd appreciate a chance to sit in and drive it, gently, of course. it will be my treat to a very nice lunch or dinner. pm me, of course.

THANKS! decisions, decisions...

jack

Z8 Madness
    Here's my $0.02.

2. she knows i've always loved the alpina, and she actually loves it too, from an aesthetic perspective (which also means she absolutely detests the entire bagled fleet). she has also commented on what the chances are of finding a low-mileage one under our original time line - which meant waiting another 2.5 yrs - that is, might be difficult.
    If I may ask, why do you limit yourself to the Alpina Z8? By considering the other kind, you expand the availability by an order of magnitude.

1. it is certainly amazing how prices have held. BUT given the way the economy is going - how many of you would think i'd be better off waiting till next yr? i spent the last few days reading up on as many posts as possible, including the economy thread on the bmwz8 board how we may have seen the end of the price stability of the z8. understandably, this will be conjecture. but how low would you all expect to see pristine garage queens go for? it seems cars with 10k or less on mileage have been going for anywhere betweem 125k-140k.
    Well, the current pricing trend is certainly deflationary in nature, and, unless things make a 180 degree turn, the Z8 market will soften. In addition, demand for luxury items will be the first to disappear in a recession.

Having said that, you are looking at one of 555. Many of these are held by collectors with little to no desire to sell. So, if you find the right car, you probably should go for it no matter what the price.

2. along the lines of #1: since my plans are not to purchase it as a museum specimen, i expect to put a good 10k miles a year. (200 miles a weekend - dinner date with my wife, and a shopping trip somewhere, i guess). what sort of depreciation would you all guess - in a previously stronger market, and also in the future (and more depressed) market? for simplicity the 50% depreciation for 'normal' cars, even higher end mb and bmw models, after 4 yrs seems to be realistic, especially in terms of trade-in price in relation to msrp.
    You pay a big price for putting miles on a Z8. In a weaker economy, expect to pay an even bigger price.

4. some 'competing' issues: there's the appeal of the alpina b7, which i would probably be able to pick up for less than any z8. there is the brutal allure of 500 horses in a sedan - special, yet not necessarily screaming for attention. then some more practical concerns - - bmw is practically giving away some insane deals - was told today i could lease an m6 with an msrp of 113k for about 1400/mo for 3 yrs! with my deductions as my business car, it's an obscene lease that keeps on tickling my inner cheapskate. from a strictly financial standpoint, it is certainly no match to say, the m6. the variable of course is how the alpina's value holds up in the years to come. and there's also the e63 amg estate. 90k. yeah - it'll smoke my supercharged 540, but we'll end up with 2 wagons. now that i'm putting this down in writing, i would definitely say the z8 is without doubt special enough to warrant the price difference. but then again, if it is a car i intend to keep for good, then it is sort of a moot point. i just like having those numbers in hand. you never know.
    You answered your own question. All the ones mentioned above are fine automobiles, but ...

5. higher mileage owners - any major issues or concern? i will concede i have not read up on the frame issue. is that also an alpina problem that i have to worry about? have any of you sold your alpinas with more than 40k-50k miles? may i ask when (year) you sold them and how much they went for?
    The Alpina Z8 shares the same frame and, thus, the frame issue with the Z8. However, due to its softer/different suspension, it is probably less susceptible to damage. The performance package, as far as I know, can be applied to the Alpina Z8.

6. the one i'm looking at right now is at chicago's perillo bmw. an 03, 10k miles, silver with red/blk, asking 141.9k, vin is AH62442. what is a number i can throw at them? i'm really used to dealing with car pricing, even on ///m cars. but the alpina is in a different league. without trying hard, she offered 135k. i was thinking around 125k - what do you all think, esp with the economy in the dumps? (i guess this is one car i would look at like a house that might be upside down that i would love to live in for the next 10 years regardless..)
    Today, $125K would be a great deal, but I don't think they'll take it.

Best of luck.

Z8 Novice
    redz8, thanks for the info. been crunching numbers the last few days. eh - between my tax guy and myself (unfortunately, a financial advisor who thinks too much) i am going to bow out temporarily.

for laughs - my wife to the rescue -
    1. 'since when does a 'dream car' have to make sense?'
    2. i think this is the equivalent of the hermes birkin. (after i told her how much they went for new, and now 5 yrs later what they're going for...)

after a few sleepless nights - the answer is when the irs is killing me. i thought that this person i was working with would be able to structure it as a lease, but in the end it was a bit too old and way too expensive for them.

oh well - i will still be visiting here every now and then. i think with the present economic outlook, as was pointed out, perhaps (and time will tell) the prices of these gorgeous cars may go down. of course, i am beginning to appreciate the demographic of the z8 buyer- (one who wants it, and its value, whether it's up or down is really inconsequential to them) so i don't mean to demean any owners by my comments. if the horrendous economy presents me with a 'buy low' opportunity in the next yr or 2, i'll be back...

thanks!