Thread: Dead Z8

Sport Button On

Dead Z8

My Z8 won't start. I thought it was the battery, but after a full charge on it, no go. Lights/radio etc., all come on when I turn the key, but when I hit the start button, I get a single click and nothing else. Ideas?

Most likely you have a bad starter. My car did the same thing for a while, but it would eventually start... sometimes I had to try 3 times. I replaced the battery first to eliminate that as part of the problem. Still got the click after the battery was replaced. I didn't want to be stranded when I would take the car out so I had the dealer replace my starter and so far it has been good. There is a thread in the "problems and solutions" forum about intermittent starting here...

http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=654

Z8 Novice
    Could also be a bad battery. Original battery on mine finally died a few months ago and I had similar symptoms. New OEM battery did the trick.

Sport Button On

It was the battery

I picked up a new OEM battery and installed it. Sure enough, that was the problem. I was fooled because the indicator on the battery was green and I had charged it, but it had a dead cell and none of those things meant anything, I guess. The down side- I had to ride the K12S for a day or so until I got it fixed. There are worse things!