Thread: The Steering Wheel be rockin, but i hear no music

Sport Button On - DSC Off

The Steering Wheel be rockin, but i hear no music

Can someone help to explain what is going on here. I am not sure if the car should go to BMW for a repair or if I need to go back to my tire distributor.

For the first few miles when I first take the car out of the garage, my steering wheel rocks back and forth, clockwise and counterclockwise, very quickly. The car remains straight along the road, but shakes for a few miles. Not violently, but quite a bit. But after a few miles of driving it goes totally away. I have driven back over the same roads after the car (and tires) are 'warmed up' and there is no shaking in the steering wheel. So it is not the road. If I take my hands off the steering wheel while it is happening or after it goes away, the car continues to drive straight and does not veer to the left or right.

So what could this be? I put on Bridgestone Potenza RE04's to replace the worn Brigestone S03's that I loved. The RE04's are everyh bit as good as the S03's were.

So any ideas about what might be happening? It doesn't appear to me to be an alignment problem. Could the tires be changing shape from being cold to getting warmed up and are out of alignment until they warm up?

Looking for some insight here.

Thanks.

Z8 #436 in South Florida.

Brake disk(s) (bent) problem? Or calipers (too close)? Does the vibration go away directly after 'heavy' braking? Maybe there is a (tiny) bit of rust on the disks after a while in the garage?

Been there....

I had this recurring problem with my pole position tires. It ended up to be flat spotting from the Bridgestones sitting for anything more than a day or two. It seems that some proprietary layer in the manufacturing process is susceptible to deformation when sitting, and returns to its round memory shape upon heating up. Depending on weather, it usually takes me 10 miles of driving to have it go away. Bridgestone reps assured me that it is not a defect, but a "characteristic" of their "superior" tires. It hasn't happened since switching to Michelins (I used the Bridgestones until they wore out with no other problems). There are commercially available cups to park on that help keep the round shape and minimize this annoying "characteristic", but they're a bit expensive.

Z8 Madness
    I have the same, I just assume it is from the tires resting at the same position for extended period on the very hard concrete garage floor. Andrew has a recommendation for a product to protect the rubber (search for it around here). It's been on my list of items to purchase, but just haven't had the time to look into it.

How about increasing tire pressure (if standing for longer periods of time)?

The tire cradle is advertised in Roundel magazine.
    http://www.tirecradle.com/
    I also have not had time to get it myself, but I have not noticed a problem since switching to Michelins.

A few strips of old carpet can cushion the garage floor and reduce the effects as well. Double the thickness if you need more cushion. Put one strip under each tire. This sounds like flatspotting to me. This is a cheap way to make a determination.

Sounds like you guys pegged this one

That was certainly interesting to know that the Bridgestone Potenza RE05 tires could develop a flat spot in sitting on a concrete floor for a while. The problem does go away after a few miles of driving. I do have carpets under each tire in the garage but perhaps doubling on them is worth a shot. I did not have this problem with my Bridgestone S03 tires before this.

Ditto that on the Pirelli's too - very noticeable for the first 20-30 mins.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I am now noticing that if I take the car out daily, there is no problem with the steering wheel shaking. It only happens when the car sits in the garage a week or two without use. So the flat spotting is surely what is going on. I have always had carpets under the tire and it makes no difference. The set of 4 tire cradles at http://www.tirecradle.com/ run around $350. I wonder if they really solve the problem.