Thread: Keith Martin's advice (for what it is worth)

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar

Keith Martin's advice (for what it is worth)

On the 2000 Z8, Keith Martin says: HOLD

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/slideshows

Even if he tried, he wouldn't find a louzier picture of a Z8 !
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I don't know Keith, but I think he is right

Well that is certainly a huge improvement over his previous utterances which pretty much rubbished the Z8! Maybe seeing 30 of them at The Quail, an event he is involved in judging, made him finally realize we are a relevant enthusiast's car, and not just a rebodied 7 series as he wrote in SCM back in Aug 2007.

it is SCM's position that the Z8, with 5000 built, with no distinguishing mechanical characteristics (they are, after all, essentially rebodied 7-series sedans), and no performance heritage whatsoever, will never be first tier, or even second tier collectibles. They are a great drive, and a stylish package, and will never be any more - or less - than that.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Not working for me....Safari issue?

You have to hit the hidden arrow in the middle right of the main image to scroll thru the thumbs below - navigation that is about as smart as his previous opinion of our car!
    Andrew Macpherson

Doesn't work for me either on the Mac (Safari), only pictures, no description.

Here is the text:

2000 BMW Z8

"Based on the Z07 styling exercise that evoked the original 507 and caused a sensation at the 1997 Tokyo Auto Show, the Z8 featured a 4.9-liter 32-valve 400-hp V8 and an all-aluminum chassis sourced from the M5. 5,703 Z8s were built, including 555 4.8-liter 375-hp Alpina versions in 2003.
    Price Range: $75,000-$105,000
    HOLD: A decent performer with good styling and a top that goes down. You?ll probably always have to explain it, just like the 507."
    Unquote

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Thanks Dirk, couldn't get the copy. What did he say about the Porsche RS? (Thanks)

What an idiot that Martin guy is, from a 7 chassis to a 5! Does he have any idea of the concept of fact checking and/or research? How can such a fool be given so much credibility for running a magazine so full of dross.

My first job as a kid was managing the photo archives of the John Montagu Library at the National Motor Museum in the UK. My Dad was one of the directors there, as well as being the President of the Guild of Motoring Writers and serving a stint at the top of the BRDC, so when I see idiots like Martin spouting garbage under the pompous pretense of knowledge it really sits badly with me.

Ok, that's my rant for the afternoon!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Thanks Dirk, couldn't get the copy. What did he say about the Porsche RS? (Thanks)
    Good news for you Ian:

2007 Porsche GT3 RS

Like the ?regular? GT3, the RS uses an evolution of Porsche's race-bred flat-6 displacing 3.6 liters. It's a screamer with an 8,400-rpm redline and a power peak of 415 hp at 7,600 rpm. The RS boasts a close-ratio transmission and a single-mass flywheel. Porsche claims it will accelerate from 0 to 62 mph in 4.2 seconds?one tenth of a second quicker than the GT3. Top speed is 193 mph. The GT3 RS weighs 44 pounds less than other GT3s, despite its bolted-in roll bar and wider rear fenders (the same ones used on the Carrera 4). The rear window and trunk are made of plastic, the front seats and adjustable rear wing are made of carbon fiber, and there's no rear seat.
    Price Range: $145,000-$180,000
    BUY: Porsche?s modern race car for the street. Just take some lessons first. Please.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    What an idiot that Martin guy is, from a 7 chassis to a 5! Does he have any idea of the concept of fact checking and/or research? How can such a fool be given so much credibility for running a magazine so full of dross.

My first job as a kid was managing the photo archives of the John Montagu Library at the National Motor Museum in the UK. My Dad was one of the directors there, as well as being the President of the Guild of Motoring Writers and serving a stint at the top of the BRDC, so when I see idiots like Martin spouting garbage under the pompous pretense of knowledge it really sits badly with me.

Ok, that's my rant for the afternoon!
    Makes one think about SCM.......

Dirk: Thanks, he got a lot wrong about the RS, unless he is only talking about the rest of the world (no USA)
    Andrew: Right you are, I would doubt anything he says at this point...AND the magazine. He's not even close.

Just checked....they are in Oregon! Not ROW cars. His info is not even close on the Porsche either. What an idiot.

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    Remember this is the "ALFA expert" that plucked Caracciola out of the Merc and sat him in an ALFA Romeo! At least he is now recognizing that the Z8 is a modern interpretation of the 507 -- perhaps Goertz's comment has finally made its way to him, almost a decade after he uttered it. I doubt the 5 series has an aluminum chassis as he states.

Quote Originally Posted by FWK-Z8 View Post
    Remember this is the "ALFA expert" that plucked Caracciola out of the Merc and sat him in an ALFA Romeo! At least he is now recognizing that the Z8 is a modern interpretation of the 507 -- perhaps Goertz's comment has finally made its way to him, almost a decade after he uttered it. I doubt the 5 series has an aluminum chassis as he states.
    I think this guy is an idiot.... but he is right about the 'F?nfer' It has an aluminum chassis......

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    I believe you will find that the e39 5-er used an aluminum suspension system and front subframe. The remainder of the chassis is a steel monocoque.