Thread: Sublime - a first impression.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar

Smile Sublime - a first impression.

I'm a freshman to the Z8 world. When driving from Los Angeles to Pismo Beach early this summer, in my wonderfully noisy Land Rover Defender, I was passed by a Z8. As it went by it was as if everything went quite. There appeared a small opening in the clouds and through it a little sunlight fell upon this beautiful car. And was that Delibes' Flower Duet from Lakm? I heard in the background. Okay, so I?m exaggerating, but that one moment inspired me, I wanted one for myself.

I set my goals on an Alpina. It took me a few months, but after some patience, a small amount of negotiating, I purchased a beautiful model that arrived a few weeks ago. Though I am going to enjoy this car for many years to come I wanted that maiden voyage to be something special. It had to be memorable, so I didn't want to leave the house without a plan. I made up my mind to take Laurel Canyon to Mulholland, Mulholland to the 405, the 405 to the 101 North and exit on Malibu Canyon Road. From there I would take that wonderful drive through the mountains to the coast, then PCH north for a while until it felt right to turn around.

I left the house at around 6:30 am. It was overcast and chilly, but more importantly there was little, if any, traffic. I drove the car up Laurel and then turned west onto Mulholland. It handled so well, I hardly used the brakes as it whipped around every curve (perhaps I wasn't going fast enough), and I realized then that I was driving something very special. I emerged from Mulholland, drew up to the 405 and I floored it as I turned onto on ramp. It was like letting a dog off the leash it had been pulling at for last 15 minutes. The engine went from that deep, warm purr to a roar, and before I knew it I had transitioned from the 405 and onto the 101.

The drive through Malibu Canyon is lovely and one of my favorites. As I headed into the hills the low clouds from the ocean were literally flowing over the tops. The car hugged every curve and I had thoughts of "The Italian Job" (the original version of course), the car wasn't just transporting me from the inland to the coast, but also to Italy, or France, or some other European mountain road.

Though I was disappointed that it wasn't a clear and sunny morning, it was still beautiful, and memorable. I never felt alone, like I do when I'm driving by myself in other cars. In the Z8 it felt like it was the two of us, this car has a personality and a soul. I've never owned a performance car before so everything was a new experience, and I'm sure with practice, and some experienced advice, I'll enjoy it a little more each time I get behind the wheel.

Heinrich Zimmer said, 'The best things can't be told', because they transcend words. But I'm sure that any Z8 owner will understand when I describe my first experience in one word, "sublime".

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Were you by any chance in Beverly Hills around one or so today? I saw a silver Alpina crossing Santa Monica Blvd. and heading North into the flats of Beverly Hills. Not everyday you see a Z8, even in car jaded Los Angeles!

Not today. I only intend to drive it on the weekends. Weekdays are for the Prius.

Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life! Sounds like you had an outstanding bonding of man and machine kind of day!! So.... with such and event described, I am sure words do not do it justice -- any pics of the inaugural event??
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Congratulations, I look forward to getting to share some of the lovely roads I know with you. I'm headed out on a bit of a marathon schedule of shoots to Kansas City, NYC, Hong Kong, then Arizona before finally getting back home towards the end of Oct!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    Congrats and welcome! Please post some picts when you get a chance.

Welcome and enjoy!
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    welcome to the secret Z8 world
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

I have this picture.

HA! Great pic!
    thegunguy

I love it, great shot, great art, but then again I shouldn't be surprised!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Beautiful car and great photo! Welcome!

Welcome to The Family!

I saw Andrew do that on Hwy 120 a couple of years back! Unfortunately - didn't have a camera ready though.

Are those runflats??

They are now!

The next big thing in tire technology: Helium filled!

If you are interested, there is a Z3, Z4 and Z8 group doing a drive to and through Kings Canyon / Sequoia National Parks this weekend. A total of about 15 cars.

We will be at the Wusakshi Lodge in Sequoia NP on Saturday night for dinner. On Sunday, after breakfast, we are driving highway 198 (The Dragon Slayer for those who have driven highway 129 "Tail of the Dragon" in NC / Tenn) to Exeter for pizza and a tour of the famous Exeter Murals. During the drive, the convoy will be divided into 2 groups: slow / scenic and fast / didn't see a thing.

If you want to join us for any part of this weekend, shoot me an email and I will get you the details.

Scott Pettit
    [email protected]

It sounds fantastic but I already have plans for this weekend, and unfortunately they don't involve any driving. Let me know when you're going on a trip like that again. Thanks.

A list of our trips is at www.bayareaz.com. We are based in Northern Ca but we do drives and events throughout Cali and beyond. Check it out as we have a Monterey Back Roads tour and "Solvang for the Holidays" tour coming up among others.

If you send me your email addy, I will forward it to a friend in SoCal who does quite a few events including detail clinics, car shows and so forth. Most of the members are Z3 / 4 Roadster and Coupe owners and they would love to have a Z8 join them.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Old Baillie View Post
    I have this picture.

Great picture Baillie, very artistic! Welcome at the forum, greetings from the Netherlands, RR

Dank je wel

Quote Originally Posted by Old Baillie View Post
    Dank je wel
    (actually it's one word; dankjewel!) Your welcome

Welcome! You've bought not only a great car but have joined a truly inspiring worldwide community of like minded drivers Having met a lot of these crazy people this summer in Monterrey I can honestly say it is a fantastic group Hope to see you soon on one of the drives.

(ROR)

Thank you. This group is truly great, it was a fantastic source of information before I found the car and continues to be now I'm an owner. I'm very grateful to Andrew and everyone else, and I look forward to meeting many of you soon.
    Alpina, Silver/Black