Thread: Alpina owners event, Oct 2008

Alpina owners event, Oct 2008

Just read in the new Roundel that starting in September (now I guess), owners of Alpina Roadsters and B7s "will enjoy a private winery tour in Cupertino, overnight in Half Moon Bay, and drive over the Golden Gate Bridge to Infineon Raceway." It goes on to say that for details, you may contact [email protected] or [email protected].

A bit cryptic, but sounds like fun!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

A private winery in Cupertino????

Kris at Alpina contacted some time ago, and I shared with him the contact info for all our Alpina owners, so they should have all had personal invites some time ago.

Cupertino vineyard, Apple make wine? :-) The event sounds really nice, and the roads covered will be fun, but there are better vineyards nearer to the track for fine wines, as those who came to Napa with us know.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

There are a couple of us (Dirk and I) from the board attending. It'll include an afternoon at the Infineon Raceway so it should be fun. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    There are a couple of us (Dirk and I) from the board attending. It'll include an afternoon at the Infineon Raceway so it should be fun. Looking forward to it.
    Hey Terry with all the time you're spending in Norcal, you might as well move there and become Ian's neighbor.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

And don't forget to take lots of pictures for us!
    Andrew Macpherson

When will you guys be in town? Contact me if you have time.

Isn't that the truth! But this looked like something too fun and interesting to pass up.

Ian - We'll start at Half Moon Bay o/a 29/30 Sep. I think that's right on your doorstep so I was going to give you a call once we got a little more solid info.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Kris at Alpina contacted some time ago, and I shared with him the contact info for all our Alpina owners, so they should have all had personal invites some time ago.

Cupertino vineyard, Apple make wine? :-) The event sounds really nice, and the roads covered will be fun, but there are better vineyards nearer to the track for fine wines, as those who came to Napa with us know.
    There are quite a few wineries in that area:

Picchetti, Naumann, and Fellom Ranch are certainly smaller ones, but Ridge Vineyards with its famous Montebello (named after the road the winery is on) is certainly a very well known one. The Montebello is said to be the best Cab of California, and it won prices over and over, including the very famous Paris winetasting in the seventies.
    Then, of course, there are fabulous vineyards in the Santa Cruz Montains, like Katheryne Kennedy's.

It's not all apples down there.
    Best regards, Dieter

Apple Computers are based in Cupertino, it was a joke!
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dwz8 View Post
    There are quite a few wineries in that area:

Picchetti, Naumann, and Fellom Ranch are certainly smaller ones, but Ridge Vineyards with its famous Montebello (named after the road the winery is on) is certainly a very well known one. The Montebello is said to be the best Cab of California, and it won prices over and over, including the very famous Paris winetasting in the seventies.
    Then, of course, there are fabulous vineyards in the Santa Cruz Montains, like Katheryne Kennedy's.

It's not all apples down there.
    Thanks for the additional background info Dieter. We will be visiting Ridge Vinyards.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Quote Originally Posted by DirkZ8 View Post
    Thanks for the additional background info Dieter. We will be visiting Ridge Vinyards.
    If you do that, ask for Mark Vernon, who is the COO. He is a good friend of mine, and he will be happy to show you around if he finds the time. Don't forget to give him my regards, of course.
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8 Happy

Alpina Event

Andrew,

Thanks for sharing our names, wife and I are driving up the coast Saturday to make a mini-trip out of it. Looking forward to finally meeting a few others in the group

Mark

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    As perfect an event as it could possibly be. Only 2 V8 Roadsters (Terry and myself), 4 B7's, the E30 Alpina race car and 8 instructors. Norcal joined us as well. Jerry "Festorics" Cowan made zillions of pictures. We were too busy doing laps. Kelly Kirkland is doing a write-up for the Roundel Magazine.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

A HUGE thank you to Dirk and Terry. What a fun day. I'v driven and raced this track many times, but never in a Z8 (alpina v8 roadster), and never before in my GT3, and never with only about 6 cars on track, with about 3 staff to every owner. Alpina did a beautiful job. Dirk is a rare friend who would trust a huligan like me with his baby at speed! Truthfully the B7 is not my cup of tea, but I didn't get to drive it. This is perhaps the best road course in America....better than Laguna. What a day! Thanks again to Dirk and Terry, and Dana (Again...different story). And most of all Alpina. I have a new appreciation for their commitment to quality and performance.

Please excuse my low res iphone pics.

Nice color shift on the iPhone. Makes your GT3 look like your RS.

Nice event.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    A HUGE thank you to Dirk and Terry. What a fun day. I'v driven and raced this track many times, but never in a Z8 (alpina v8 roadster), and never before in my GT3, and never with only about 6 cars on track, with about 3 staff to every owner. Alpina did a beautiful job. Dirk is a rare friend who would trust a huligan like me with his baby at speed! Truthfully the B7 is not my cup of tea, but I didn't get to drive it. This is perhaps the best road course in America....better than Laguna. What a day! Thanks again to Dirk and Terry, and Dana (Again...different story). And most of all Alpina. I have a new appreciation for their commitment to quality and performance.

Please excuse my low res iphone pics.

Norcal, the resolution is high enough for me to see an extra 'patch' (?) on the radiator air inlet, what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by RRZ8 View Post
    Norcal, the resolution is high enough for me to see an extra 'patch' (?) on the radiator air inlet, what is that?
    That's a grill badge from the Monterey event this last August.

Alpina TC vs Z8 TC

On thinking about it after the fact, I noticed that the TC/DSC on the Alpina seems to be VERY different from the Z8. While at the track, pushing very hard, I don't think I ever felt the DSC, and perhaps just barely the TC coming out of 11. On the Z8, I often feel it at track out, and rather abruptly. Is it because the automatic puts the power down softer? or is it the Alpina programing? Can anyone elaborate? Anyone else driven both on track? Back to back? I do think the electronics saved me once in turn two, when the automatic finally downshifted to second gear AFTER turn in. There's no rev matching, so it snapped the rear wheels hard and the car wanted to spin. It was over very quickly. Not sure if I caught it or the electronics, again, the level of intrusion was inperceptable, unlike the Z8 in a similar situation.

I think it's just because the Alpina has less power Norcal!

Also much wider grippier low profile tires with much less 'skippy' suspension, as you know I'm a total Alpina handling package convert!
    Andrew Macpherson

Here's a few more pictures from the M5 board... They have a small Alpina sub-forum there.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/alp...last-week.html

A quick clip...

Jawz sent over this clip to share with everyone of Andy Bovensiepen blasting his Alpina prepared M3 past the camera at Sears Point.
    Click to play.
    Andrew Macpherson

I wish I had gotten behind him in the GT3 to see how fast he was going. Never saw him at all.