Thread: Ignition Problems

Sport Button On

Cool Ignition Problems

Just had a wonderful trip to Monterey with all 30 plus Z8's all the way until about 120 miles from home. After some mild racing down I-5 towards LA with ron's rocket we stopped for fuel before heading over the Grapevine. Upon putting the key back to start it will not go to the #2 position. We tried everything for 1 1/2 hours including getting a jump from a tow truck. After terrific cell phone help from havenhurstkid and Peter Pan's BMW Dana Caldwell we decided it still might be the battery so on a different tow truck to Bakersfield BMW we go. Those guys were really great in waiting nearly a half hour after service had closed to help solve the problem. New battery in however no change in the problem.

Key was now forced to the #2 position by the technician holding his mouth just the right way if you know what I mean . He promised that he was unlikely to have success again and suggested we start it and drive it home with out stopping and get it to our regular BMW San Diego mechanics.

Successfully drove home....turned it off....tried my mouth in the same position as the Bakersfield mechanic but unable to get to the #2 position again. Thinking it might now be the key....tried the other key....same situation.

Now it gets funny...called the tow truck in the morning for the second tow in two days and while helping to steer it on the flatbed I jumped on at the last minute while the car was steeply raked to put the key in the #1 position so that I could close the driver's window....shajam the key moves smoothly to the #2 position. Wondering if the car's rake could possibly be a cure we unloaded the car....switched the key back and forth several times all working perfectly each time so sent the tow truck away....drove to the dealer and hoped they could duplicate the problem. Naturally it was now working perfectly when we went though several cycles after arriving.

To work they went and apparently I may not be alone as a problem was found and a ten day back order exists for replacement parts in the US. I'll advise on the ultimate time and cure once done.

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Interestingly, I have noted occasional "hanging up" getting my key to the #2 postion but always has been easily overcome with some simple jiggling.

Very interested in hearing what the problem may be. Keep us posted.
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Glad I could be of some assistance. Please let us know what the final "cure" is. Fortunately, it didn't happen while in Monterey. That would have been awful.

Sport Button On
    Slow to finish the story as lots of the bad finance world has drifted in to my insurance world....can you spell AIG. The car was fixed after the ten days it took for the steering lock part to arrive. It seems the problem with this part is not uncommon and while I did not check for sure I had the impression that it is shared with other models.

BMW was terrific to fix it with a goodwill authorization so no money out of my pocket. Hard to imagine another car company treating my 2001 Z8 problem effectively as a warranty issue?

Works great now and for others I can only say I did not have any warning symptoms before it broke.