Thread: Monterey '08 - part 3 - Sat & Sun

Talking Monterey '08 - part 3 - Sat & Sun

Saturday: - 16th
    6.00am breakfast for those staying at the Marroitt.
    7.00am depart from the Marriott
    7.45am the big day at Laguna Seca. (NB: we have to be there early to park, and avoid sitting in a line for two hours!)
    7.00pm dinner for 60 in honor of Bill Stuart at the Marriott.
    After dinner visit the RM Auction.

------------------------------------------------

Sunday: - 17th
    8.30am breakfast for those staying at the Marroitt.
    9.45am the bus departs from the Marriott
    10.00am Pebble Beach Concours.
    6.45pm the bus departs from the Marriott
    7.00pm dinner for 49 will be Z8Doc's 50th birthday bash at Tarpys!

------------------------------------------------

The big day at Laguna Seca, enjoying the huge array of stunning historic race cars.

The day started with a thick, cold marine fog, so when we arrived at the track I didn't take too many pictures of our historic 31 car line up, figuring I'd come back in a couple of hours once the fog burnt off. Sadly by the time I got back five or six cars had left, and some huge ugly SUV's broke the line, so the first two frames are all I have of this memorable moment!

The day was full of all kinds of stunning cars in the paddock, and battling it out on the track as if their lives depended on it. One of the many highlights of the day was seeing Mario Andretti take the John Player Lotus he won the F1 championship in '78 out for a set of very fast flying laps. Here is a quick glimpse of what I saw walking around.
    (That's our very own Z8Doc with Jay Leno)

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thumbs up Monterey '08 - Sunday 17 - Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance

Today was the 58th year of the Concours D'Elegance, the event that gave birth to the whole "car week" of events. The day was overcast, so the pictures look a little dull, but the cars were fabulous, and it was very pleasant not getting roasted in the sun all day.

Here is a mix of what we saw today. A great many of the cars are worth over ten million dollars, so it is quite possible that the accumulated value on display today was greater than the entire production run of our Z8! The final group of images are of the this years new concept cars.

Andrew Macpherson

Well.... I guess that I need to add Pebble Beach to my list of to do's for next year.

Scott

Team Z8

If you're going next year...

don't forget your hat...or your poodle.

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    In Andrew's lead post he states that the Pebble Beach Concours was 'the event that gave birth to the whole "car week" of events.' This is not quite true. The whole thing got started with the Pebble Beach Road Races, that transformed into to the Monterey Historics. The concours got started as a display of vehicles competing in the road races, and new cars were displayed by San Francisco auto dealers.

There's no picture of the overall winner of Pebble Beach this year. I was just looking back through some old pictures and found these from our local Concours in 2006. I think its this year's Pebble Beach winner, before it was restored.

I knew I had a good eye.

It is lovely, I somehow missed it on the green, but while it looks lovely the ones that really blew me away were the big SS Mercedes from the '30's, there was one very clean and elegant on in the Blackhawk sale off the green that is the one I'd have if I could!
    Andrew Macpherson

It is lovely, and I somehow missed it on the green, but the ones that really blew me away were the big SS Mercedes from the '30's, there was a very clean and elegant silver version in the Blackhawk sale off the green that I'd have if I could!

Andrew Macpherson

The red one for me please!!

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Phil Hill dies - 08/28/08

Phil Hill died 8/28/08 in Monterey, CA. Not only was he the only native-born American to win a F1 World Championship (1961), but was a restorer of classic cars. In fact, he is probably the only person to hold the distinction of winning the Pebble Beach Road Race and the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegnace in the same year - 1955.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    There's no picture of the overall winner of Pebble Beach this year. I was just looking back through some old pictures and found these from our local Concours in 2006. I think its this year's Pebble Beach winner, before it was restored.

I knew I had a good eye.

Here she is.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    With all due respect for the 507, but this is nice !

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com