Thread: Soft top tip/suggestion

Soft top tip/suggestion

After talking with my upholstery person this morning (he just fixed 2 more soft tops pulling away at the top from the rear window moulding) he suggested the following:
    • Don't store the top in the down position for extended lengths of time as it places "stress" at the top of the rear window causing the material to pull away from the rear window moulding.
    • Storing the top in the "down" position for extended periods will also place stress at the lower left and right corners of the window and could eventually wear through the stitching that lower rear area.
    In short - if you are driving the car and want the top down by all means do it! It's a roadster and should be enjoyed, but when you are not driving the car the best scenario is to keep the top up.

Thanks
    Dana Caldwell
    Service & Parts Director
    Peter Pan BMW

Thanks, Dana.
    Funny, I just had to tuck in the top edge for the drive up tomorrow morning.
    Lookin' forward to seeing you and the Missus.
    Ted

Happily I've always kept mine stored with the top up, thanks for letting everyone know.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I recall J?rgen suggesting that the best way to keep the top is up but not closed - resting in the position where the motors give way for manual assist. I believe the reason was that in this position the top is kept somewhat taught, but not so much that it would cause stretching/stress over time.

It's totally possible that beer could have been involved in this conversation. Andrew, do you remember this?
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Dana, Thank you for the information. In the past I aways stored mine down but shall change my ways. Again thank you so much for your kindness while we were at Peter Pan BMW.
    Pandaman

Rifle, there was definitely beer involved in that conversation except Jurgen did not have any, so what you recall is accurate. Best to store top up but not fully closed.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I just got the soft top care kit from Girots, and the aerosol fabric conditioner is really good, it really made my rather tired looking and grey top brand spanking new and deep black after just one application!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

What do you think it would for those of us with tan tops?

I have the BMW top cleaning/protecting products, but I've never used either.
    thegunguy

Here is a link to a company that is very popular in the Z3 and Z4 world.

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page55.html

Scott

DSC Off
    How is "extended period" defined?

Z8 Novice

top help

Put top up when parked for any over night stay because it cools down and window takes on bent shape and is harder to straighten out cold in the morning or days later

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    My Z3 is an original 1996. The top was replaced for the fabric pulling out under warranty in 1997. I still have the 1997 top and window on the car. I always store the car top up and always use a window cloth and top boot when it is down.

I put a new top on my 1988 ALFA Romeo myself -- it you've ever put a convertible top on a car, you will treat any top with repect -- it is a hellish job.

Z8 Novice

Wink top care

A little care along the way with a washing and window plastic polish and keep top up when not in use It can prevent premature wearing.I recomend a window plastic polish called Plastec and or a marine polish called Little Mermaid, same company. One is automotive labeling and the other is marine label works great .I buy it by the gallon and it takes off that smokey haze on the inside and outside very well with a always new or very clean micro fiber towel . AND DO NOT RUB PLASTIC WINDOW DRY. KEEP THE TOWEL MOIST WITH PLASTEC TO PREVENT SCRATCHING.
    Last edited by uphguy; May 1st 2009 at 06:04. Reason: periods ?

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by uphguy View Post
    A little care along the way with a washing and window plastic polish and keep top up when not use can prevent premature wearing I recomend a window plastic polish called Plastec and or a marine polish called Little Mermaid same company one is automotive labeling and the other is marine label works great I buy it by the gallon and it takes off that smokey haze on the inside and outside very well with a always new or very clean micro fiber towel . AND DO NOT RUB PLASTIC WINDOW DRY. KEEP the TOWEL MOIST WITH PLASTEC TO PREVENT SCRATCHING UPHGUY
    Uphguy, I think your keyboard 'period' button may be faulty

Just kidding ... thanks for the advise.
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Novice
    I understand benefit of keeping soft top up but what about when the hard top is on? Is this not having same negative impact on soft top being down for extended period of time?
    Simon

60255 Silver/Black
    2008 E60 M5

Anytime the rag top is stowed, for extended periods of time, it wears it out. No matter why you have it stowed.

If you enjoy the hard top, then use the hard top. Worry about the soft top when the time comes.

Scott
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Novice

top up or down ?

When stored make sure the strings are doing the job of keeping top from being pinched and laced correctly with new crimp. I will post a picture later