Thread: Engine light on......

Engine light on......

Hope someone can offer some help on this. We got the new Z and have put about 500 miles on it. The car was only driven 3k over the last 3 years so she is not used to the daily miles but WAS running beautifully.

We were driving a scenic two lane, mostly 30 to 80mph. We both noticed a different exhaust note and then within a mile or two the power just melted away. Car still runs, just feels like its on 4 cyl and sounds kind of vacant without the full eisemann symphony. The Service engine soon light came on. We pulled over after a few miles and when it restarted, no light and it ran fine for about 10 miles, then a repeat of the above issues.

We are 2 hours from the nearest dealer and will have to send the car down there tommorrow, but am hoping to hear some feedback about possible sources of this problem. My take is, emissions issue or mass air flow meter.

Anyone? GM?
    thanks, John

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Had similar problem earlier this year. One of the sensors needed replacement. $270 and she's running fine again.
    Last edited by jdillane; July 29th 2008 at 18:52. Reason: to add that it was a CAM sensor...

A sensor would be my guess, an O2 sensor in the exhaust or a MAF. What you feeling is the car going into 'limp home' mode, which it is programmed to do if there is something that the computer thinks could cause damage to the motor. The only two others thing I've heard can cause that is the gas cap seal (just recheck it is fully clicked shut) and the Vanos system needed a new seal set.

Good luck getting it fixed, and enjoy the rst of the drive!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Agree, this usually is a sensor....

just like Andrew states. Should not be hard to fix or expensive -- but, sometimes it is a more frequent problem on cars that are not driven very much as the sensors can sometimes get clogged or gummed from gas that has sat for long periods. Suggest that you use some gas preservative if your car is sitting for long times between drives and change the fluids every 6 months even though you are not driving it. Should help to minimize the issue in the future, just like is recommended for "winterizing" your car.

I think the owners manual has some tips on storing your car too to avoid issues.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

thanks all for the ideas. I am going to have it flatbedded to the dealer tommorrow as I dont want to drive it that far. Will post results for the next guy.
    Jeff, just bought the car on Wed. and have been driving it on a tour of N. Michigan since. I am sure the previous owner was quite good about maintainance but the driving issue will not be a problem while I own it.
    I will be posting a thread with pics and driving impressions when we get back home, but i will say, the car is a real treat.

We were driving slowly through my old neighborhood where I grew up in E. Grand Rapids and a guy waved us into his driveway. His garage was open and there sat another Z8! I have only seen two z8's on the road. Period.
    More later. John

Hey John....

Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    ...... I grew up in E. Grand Rapids
    .... John
    A Michiganite eh? My sister did a residency at the Metropolitan Hospital in Grand Rapids many years ago, visited her there several times, have several cousins from the "Ballooning frontier City of Carson City, Michigan and spent a lot of time myself in training at Detroit Medical Complex. Several cousins in Hamtramick too. Nephew went to law school in Ann Arbor. Small world --
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Take it to Pep Boys or Kragen and ask them to plug your ride into a code reader. It may not be a fix that requires hauling it to the dealer.

By the way, I use a Peake reader to pull the codes from my Z3 and was wondering if anyone on this forum read their own codes and which reader do you use?

Thanks and good luck to you John.

Scott Pettit
    Z Series Car Club of America

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    Scott,

You're Peak Reader should work on the Z8, as well. The first number it will display is the engine code -- look up the code in the book and read the fault codes from the proper table

By the way, I use a Peake reader to pull the codes from my Z3 and was wondering if anyone on this forum read their own codes and which reader do you use?

Also if you look at the navigation bar at the top of the forum above there is a very handy little tool that will allow you to find whatever has been discussed about this product (and anything else) on the board before, it reads "Search".
    Andrew Macpherson

I did do a search and there is nothing about Peake.

Dan at Peake Research said that I would need the R5/FCX-3-16. I have the R5/FCX for my Z3. Do I really need a separate unit for the Z8?

Also, I have the SRS tool and the same question applies.

Scott

Hmmmm, you got me mystified here Scott, here are what my browser shows me for searchs for Peake & OBD. I suggest you try another browser as yours seems to be up to no good, what with knocking you offline and not giving you search answers.

Andrew Macpherson

and one more thing....

there is a really good knowledgebase on our shared S62 motor, Peake codes etc over on the M5 Board, like this one.
    Andrew Macpherson

thanks for the tips and help. Turned out to be the #1 ignition coil. Runs like a top now. Love this car. John

Great new, enjoy the rest of the drive, and look forward to meeting you and the new Z at the Beaujolais on Wed three weeks from now.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Glad its AOK John.

DSC Off
    My dealer has run lots of tests but the SES light is still on. He is going to recheck the O2 sensor and some other things. Most of the tests showed low voltage issues so they charged up the battery and since I don't drive it much they recommended keeping a chargre on it. This did not help.

Has anyone else discovered anything since the last posts on this topic? Thanks

Can you get the codes?
    thegunguy