Thread: 2000 Z8 (#60034) - sold as salvage

Z8 Novice

Thumbs down 2000 Z8 (#60034) - sold as salvage

This car was listed and sold through EBay by Bavarian Auto Parts.

This car had a frame destroying off road incident when it left the road and ran a high concrete kerb at speed, so the frame suffered a hell of a hit from below to all four corners. This car was written off by the insurance company, and never should have been patched back up for sale.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Anyone who buys any car with a salvage title is not real bright IMHO. Being in the car business, we treat salvage title cars as follows: whatever a good model of the same car is worth you can subtract between 60 and 70% of that. So, if this car, being a 2000 model, was a perfect original car worth maybe 90 to 100K, this particular car is worth 30 to 40K. It may sound low but that is all it is worth and that is if the car was repaired properly!

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    A salvaged Z8 for $30K or so would undoubtedly find a market, I suspect. Obviously the repairs would need to be scrutinized.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Holy smokes!! Asking $93K!! No mention of frame damage in the ad, but given the vulnerability to pot holes, one could reasonably suspect that the ad is a tad wanting on full disclosure of defects.

Team Z8

It's hard to tell from the photo...

and harder to believe with that much damage to the suspension...but it looks like the top of those shock towers are flat and undamaged.

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    So, if this car, being a 2000 model, was a perfect original car worth maybe 90 to 100K, this particular car is worth 30 to 40K. It may sound low but that is all it is worth and that is if the car was repaired properly!
    Considering the choice of roadsters out there vs. the beautiful lines of the Z8 and its uber-exotic status I would be willing to pay about $60K for it and use it as a daily driver

But that would be my upper most limit.

P.S., I think they would fetch more (albeit over a long period of time) if they sold the parts.
    62050 - Z8

There is / was a salvage car out of Oakland, CA whose only damage was all of the body panels had been vandalized with a hammer. They were asking 40K.

The Rancho Cordova (Sacramento) car left the road and was driven into a field according to the current owner who is a car dealer.

It would be nice to have a parts car.

I saw that vandalized car, that was a sad sight indeed. I heard later it was the enraged wife of the owner, part of the divorce 'settlement' no doubt!

If I won the lotto I'd love to start a Z8 store, buy up all the junked ones for parts, and run an export business to the EU, but happily I'm way too busy at the day job to even give it a thought today!
    Andrew Macpherson

It's back again! Car#34 was only the second customer car delivered in the US, and this seems to be the same place trying to sell it again, so I'm guessing they never are able to realize their price first time round, so they just keep on hanging on to it.
    Andrew Macpherson

What do you suppose it's worth? 50-60? or less? Certainly not near 80.

I'd say around $50k as a beater/parts car, I wouldn't pay a cent over that for it.
    Andrew Macpherson

It's back again, seems the seller is determined to reach a totally unrealistic price for this car.

Andrew Macpherson

That's just stupid money.

Looks like it sold on 8/12/15 for "stupid money."

2000 BMW Z8

BMW Z8 Classic - Silver with Red Interior - Includes original hardtop with stand

See original listing
    2000 BMW Z8

Photos not available for this variation

Item condition:
    Used

“Classic Titanium Silver with Red Leather. Immaculate, rare & collectable. Includes matching hardtop ”
    ... Read more

Ended:
    Aug 12, 2015 , 9:30PM

Winning bid:
    US $121,400.00
    [ 42 bids ]

Shipping:
    Will ship to United States. Read item description or contact seller for shipping options. | See details

Item location:
    Rancho Cordova, California, United States

Seller:
    bbuy916 (31 )
    | Seller's other items

Description

eBay item number:

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
    Item specifics

Condition: Used
    Seller Notes: “Classic Titanium Silver with Red Leather. Immaculate, rare & collectable. Includes matching hardtop with garage stand and cover. Both tops are in excellent condition and everything on this car works like new.”
    VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): WBAEJ1345YAH60034 Year: 2000
    Body Type: Convertible Make: BMW
    Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty Model: Z8
    Vehicle Title: Salvage Trim: convertible
    Options: Leather Seats, CD Player, Convertible Engine: v8
    Safety Features: Anti-Lock Brakes, Driver Airbag, Side Airbags Drive Type: rwd
    Power Options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Seats Mileage: 29,078
    Fuel Type: Gas Exterior Color: Silver
    For Sale By: Dealer Interior Color: Red
    Doors: 2 Number of Cylinders: 8
    Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive Transmission: Manual
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Wow, somebody's in for a really nasty surprise - I guess that you could always ship it back to BMW Classic in Munich and have it completely rebuilt to factory specs, then sell it in the EU or Russia where the salvage will be a mute point.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Wow, somebody's in for a really nasty surprise - I guess that you could always ship it back to BMW Classic in Munich and have it completely rebuilt to factory specs, then sell it in the EU or Russia where the salvage will be a mute point.
    PT Barnum said it best!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe