Thread: Radio Issue 2001 German Import Z8

Z8 Novice

Radio Issue 2001 German Import Z8

Have had "defective head" for Radio. BMW replaced the head unit, it seemed to work on way home. Went home turned off car. Two days later started car, went to turn on radio and nothing. The red anti theft light is staying on solid. No screen comes up which was the problem witht the other head unit....Checked all fuses no problem....Anyone else with an issue like this?

Very frustrating they charged me $1K to replace the head unit which obviously was not the problem to begin with...Needless to say I'm pissed. Got the run around because my car is the German version, and USA does not want to cover the imports.

Anyone with any ideas? I'm Sure they can keep changing parts instead of diagnosing problem....Rediculous... 100K Car can not have an operational radio...
    LH

Sadly these are both common problems, both defective head units, and also BMW NA's dealers not really wanting/knowing how to work on EU spec cars. Because of the differing laws on the frequencies used on the different continents the electrical systems do have quite a few differences, right at the heart of the system, the alarm and phone, which are linked in to the same circuit as the hi-fi.

My first Z8 was an EU car, and I went through this with the alarm and phone, but happily the radio stayed functioning. By the way, don't loose your key, there is no way to get a fully operational one for your car here in the US.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I had my head unit go bad late last year. A new radio was sent to the dealer and when they installed it in the car, it did not work. They put in a second radio and that one worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    By the way, don't loose your key, there is no way to get a fully operational one for your car here in the US.

Really? do you know why that is?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Because the key coder at your local BMW dealer can only code a US spec key system, not the EU one, they work on different radio/microwave frequencies.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.