Thread: Eisenmann 'Race' mufflers.

Thumbs up Eisenmann 'Race' mufflers.

This is an addition that has been very well received by everyone who has done it, and I can see why. It takes just a couple of hours to release the accoustic wonderment of the V8 symphony that the stock set up completely conceals.

The Eisenmann weighed 14.5 Lbs each and the OEM ones weighed in at 18.9 Lbs each, the amount may vary depending on how much exhaust you take off / leave behind when you remove your OEM ones but this should be a fair representation. That is a savings of about 4.4 Lbs each or 8.8 Lbs total.

All I can say is DO IT! I promise you will be as delighted as the rest of us!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar

Thumbs up

Andy,

Thanks for the above pictures. They do say more than words. I had mine done early July by my local BMW dealer in Rotterdam together with the ACS spring/suspension kit.

Now it not only behaves like a sports car but also sounds like one!!

In Europe Eisenmann only has one type of muffler for the Z8 but assume it is the same as the US race version.

regards
    Klaus

Thumbs up Another convert!

Everything's pretty much covered in Macfly's original post.

All I can add is that there are ground straps that attach to each OEM muffler where a hard-mount contacts the body. On the Eisenmann setup, these straps can be attached directly to each muffler.

Other than that, this is a must for all Z8 owners. The sound is basically unchanged from stock when you want it to be quiet (lazing around town, highway cruising, etc.), but once you mash the gas, you are rewarded with sweet music.

Copied from my post on Roadfly:
    As everyone has said, highway cruising really has little to no sound change from stock (docile and without drone). At idle, it's a little deeper, and if you accelerate slowly the low revs (sub 3.5k) are close to the stock tone. Under quick acceleration, the waves build faster, collide, etc. emitting a much more aggressive tone. I find that as the revs rise, particularly at and after the VANOS change, the sound range broadens producing a killer wail (no, not Shamu) that is actually higher in pitch than the stock boxes.

If anyone out there is still considering the Eisenmanns, stop deliberating - get 'em! Every Z8 owner that I've talked to after getting mine has shared the same experience of repeatedly walking out into the garage, just to get another look. Well, the exhaust is the same, but with sound. I keep starting the car and doing a few quick revs. Awesome!

thegunguy

Exhaust

Yes, about 3 years with mine. It's the best. Great pics, thank you. I didn't stick around to watch mine be done. I still love to give it some stick just to hear it growl, every chance I get, especially tunels, parking garages or any road with a sound wall or buildings up against it!

Ian

DSC Off
    Other than sound, is there any performance benefit to these exhausts? Is there any legal noise problem in California? Is there only one Eisenmann type to buy?Thanks.

Robert

Reply to ROBERTSZ

Eisenmann reports a 6.1% - 6.4% increase in power. But I think most everyone with them would agree with me that the power increase is not really noticable. The benefit is the vastly improved sound.

See the Eisenmann website for info on the Sport and Racing versions. The Racing version is louder than the Sport. I belive almost everyone here has the Racing version and are very pleased with it.

I'll let the CA guys address your remaining question.
    thegunguy

While in the shop...

I had the car in the shop this week to install the new Quaife & gears. While there the shop owner commented that my Eisenmann equiped car was the best sounding BMW he had ever heard.

...just food for thought for all of you on the fence regarding this upgrade.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    The real question is whether or not it is a $2,800 improvement in sound. I have never thought about spending this kind of money on a muffler..........unless it is really worth it.

Team Z8

You'd have to hear it and decide for yourself...

I've been very happy with the swap from the first drive. However, it's also more then half the cost of "the fix" if we indeed have to pay for it.

Z8 Novice

Eisemann Mufflers

Just Dropped Z8 At BMW In Wilmington, NC - Getting Mufflers Installed Today. Will Pick Up Afternoon...can't Wait

Seasell, please post pictures this afternoon

so we can see your install, and also please don't use capitalization on every word, thanks.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

eisemann

Just picked up car from Schaeffer BMW, exhaust sound good. i can post pictures but car is in garage and you cant see them unless it is on a lift. Strong smoke smell out of tips, is this the weld? Not as happy as i thought actually, it does not sound BMW.(imho).

The smell is normal....

it is just the residual oils they use to protect it in shipping for packing, and the smell goes away in a couple of hours at the most. You're right about taking a picture, I forgot that they're invisible when the car is on the ground, and it isn't really a classic BMW sound, it is more a V8 rumble you'd associate with an American muscle car. BMW's are usually quiet cars, and when they are noisey it tends to be the wail of a striaght 6 in an M3 or Z4M or Coupe. However your car now sounds like a tuned and exhausted e39 M5 .
    Andrew Macpherson

Describing the Eisenmann's as having a "American Musclecar Sound" is a bit limiting. They give the sound of a large V8. I guess that's more "American" since large V8s are more common in the USA than other parts of the world. At a sliver under five liters, I believe the S62 is the largest V8 ever produced by BMW. As such, it's going to sound different than the typical straight six that is most common to BMW cars. However, even with the Eisenmanns fitted, the sound is still refined, just more "aggressive".

As far as the sound itself, there is certainly more low RPM rumble, with the Eisenmanns, but there is also a more pronounced wail at high RPMs that was missing with the OE cans. The top-end has tones that remind of an AM V12. For more on the sound see this quote from one of my original posts in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    As everyone has said, highway cruising really has little to no sound change from stock (docile and without drone). At idle, it's a little deeper, and if you accelerate slowly the low revs (sub 3.5k) are close to the stock tone. Under quick acceleration, the waves build faster, collide, etc. emitting a much more aggressive tone. I find that as the revs rise, particularly at and after the VANOS change, the sound range broadens producing a killer wail (no, not Shamu) that is actually higher in pitch than the stock boxes.
    For those of you awaiting delivery, here are some quotes that I've received on the Eisenmann sound that should keep up your enthusiasm.

"Wow, that's German Muscle!" - Installer
    "That is the best sounding exhaust that I've ever heard on a BMW." - BMW Shop Owner
    "Everytime you bring your car to the shop, I have someone ask about the exhaust." - BMW Shop Owner
    "You car sounds simply amazing. It's the best sound out there." - F355 Owner (on track with several Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Vettes, a Ford GT, etc.)

As Andrew notes, the oil smell "burns" off after an hour or so of driving. Similarly, the sound changes over the first few hours as the cans break-in, resulting in a more full and open sound.

The S62 is not a straight six. It has it's own voice. Let it roar!
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Is it possible to replace the OEM exaust without cutting any OEM parts?
    Klaus

Is it possible to replace the OEM exaust without cutting any OEM parts?
    No, the old muffler is welded to a much longer pipe that you have to cut to put the E'man exhaust on. It isn't really as bad as it might seem, and it certainly won't be an issue with any future owners of the car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Group order delivery update

Ted asked me to discuss quickship alternatives for our mufflers.

I just got off the phone with Jayson @ Eisenhaus, who is the U.S. distributor for Eisenmann. KO Performance is one of their dealers. The mufflers will ship next week by airfreight to Eisenhaus in Chicago and then from there directly to each individual customer, rather than to KO Performance, where they might sit around forever based on our experience with that outfit.

Jayson did not want to disclose when he received our group order from KO, nor when he placed the order with Eisenmann.

At this point it does not make sense to switch to another freight company to import from Germany. Based on my 20+ years of importing by air to the U.S. the quickest and safest way is to go the standard route. If Jayson is telling the truth and actually brings in our mufflers by air cargo he will be able to do it faster than anybody else, simply because he is a known entity with customs for these particular parts.

Sometimes a customer of mine would insist on drop shipping to him directly from Europe and 9.5 times out of 10 I will receive our standard air cargo one to two weeks sooner because the customer?s direct shipment would be held up in customs and then by various brokers because the recipient has no track record with either one.

My advise is to follow up with Jayson on Thursday of next week, ask if he has received the shipping documents from Eisenmann so that he can arrange customs pre-clearance. Weekend air consolidations typically are delivered on the following Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Then you can arrange to have your parts sent by UPS or Fedex from Eisenhaus in Chicago to your destination.

I will call Jayson again next Thursday and provide another update.

Have a great weekend,

Christian.

communication is key

John Paul,
    Thanks for the needed explanation.
    Ted

Apology accepted

John Paul.
    The delay in and of itself is an understandable event, and one that we are accustomed to dealing with since we often wait for parts for our limited edition German cars. Had it not occurred at the same time that you could not be reached, your assurances that it was being processed would have made this a non-issue.
    Thank you for your explanation and apology. I look forward to receiving the exhaust, and wish you luck with the new technological step.
    PS: Thanks again to Ted for the arrangements and communications!
    Last edited by KenZ8; December 7th 2006 at 00:39. Reason: PS

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar

Talking

It is worth the wait guys!!
    the pleasure in driving teh car with the "music" it should have had from the start will make you forget the waiting you are experiencing now.
    You are also probably the last batch they are making as not mane will be ordered from now on!

RRROAR

I just picked up my car with the new Eisenmann's installed- what a thrill. Every tech came out of the back to hear me pull out of the lot. It even feels like the car has a more precise feel to the gas pedal. I highly recommend the upgrade.

Z8Mania
    Hi Ken,
    I'm glad youre enjoying it and the car!

NB: I have removed all Group Buy info from this section and moved it over to the 'For Sale' area which is where it should be placed, keeping these other sections of the forum clear for informative reference.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Installed the Eisenmanns today. Symphony ! Thanks to all those who suggested this upgrade. Thanks for organizing the group buy Ted. I recommend this to anyone interested.

Dave P

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
    Installed the Eisenmanns today. Symphony ! Thanks to all those who suggested this upgrade. Thanks for organizing the group buy Ted. I recommend this to anyone interested.

Dave P
    We're glad you're happy! thanks for being a part!
    John Paul Komasinski
    KO Performance
    www.koperformance.com
    email: [email protected]
    Miami Office: 786-264-1684

Offering our Lowest Price Guarantee on every single OEM and Genuine part for BMWs
    For the quickest response to questions or inquiries, simply email us!

Z8 Novice

Question Eisenmann 'Race' mufflers

Hi guys. I placed an order for 'Race' mufflers last month. I would like to know if anyone in this group has installed the Supersprint X pipe with these mufflers, I'd like to know any pros or cons - love to hear back. Thank you Samay

I have never heard of Supersprint making them to fit our Z8. I know they did brisk business with e39 M5 X pipes, but I'm not aware of any Z8 having them fitted.
    Andrew Macpherson

I spoke with Supersprint personally....

and their performance headers, X-pipes, and mufflers are specificto the Z8. I asked specifically about the headers as the set is only $3500 for the set (X-pipe, catalytic converters and mufflers are extra)and did not want to get into the same issue Dinan originally had. The Supersprint sales rep. I spoke to stated that even though the Z8 shares the S62 engine, not to worry, these headers and exhaust are specifically made to fit the Z8, not the e39 M5. The whole set up is about what the Dinan headers alone would cost you.

However, the HP gains are modest from their exhaust set up and does NOT include any engine performance software to take advantage of the improved flow. Yes, there would be some improved performance over the OEM set up but IMHO, without some engine performance software to go with it, it is not worth the price.

If you have the extra cash, your probably better off saving up a few extra dollars and going for the Dinan set up instead or the equivalent tuning from one of the European Tuners such as Eisenmann, Nowack Tuning, Hartege, Hamann or Racing Dynamics, who have Z8 specific engine tuning/upgrades available rather than trying to spend the time re-tuning your Z8 yourself after installing the Supersprint header/exhaust system.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Anyone have a sound clip of the mufflers in action

Youtube and Google video have a sound clip called Eisenmann BMW E52 Z8 - Race application Dynamometer Testing which is brief. Does anyone else have a sound clip of their Z8 so I can hear it further before moving forward with my decision to install these mufflers.

Thanks.

That's the same video on Eisenmann's website.

Check out the Button Willow video in the movie section. The mic is in the trunk, but it gives you a fair idea of the sound.

Other than that, just get 'em. I know of no one that has ever been disappointed.
    thegunguy

Additionally you can hear the sound of the exhaust under this same forum section (Upgrades > Eisenmann Z8 vs. Stock Alpina / Orcatek) or listen to the sound of my Z8 at Texas Motorsport Ranch (Forum > Z8 History, pdfs, Movies. > Z8 Movies > Z8 Buttonwillow (macfly) or... Texas Motorsport Ranch(me) -- 3 to choose from all of varing sound level). You will also see me pass thegunguy .... easily!

Bottom line -- buy them, thegunguy is right, you will not regret it!!
    Last edited by Z8doc; August 12th 2007 at 01:22.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Yeah, yeah, yeah - my run-craps were mush by the end of the day. Plus, I was distracted by those blondes in the red F430.

Let me know if you want to try it again, but beware, I've changed my weapon of choice!
    Last edited by thegunguy; August 12th 2007 at 03:57.
    thegunguy

hmmmm...

the SR3 Radical vs the Exige at Hallett. How is that for a rematch!?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I have joined the club

Just ordered my set of mufflers. Will be looking forward to my New Years present when I get to put them on the Z8 in January.

Jay in Boynton Beach Florida
    License - MYBMW Z8
    Z8 #436

It took 4+ months to get but I am now a member of the Eisenmann Muffler club. What an awesome sound coming from the engine now.

Jay

As it should be, and should have been. Enjoy.

As it should be, and should have been. Enjoy. Listen to my car on the video from Button Willow. (Mic in the trunk to avoid wind noise)

Sport Button On
    Just want to let you know , I had never heard of the Eisenmann exhaust system until reading on the website, have done some research and found a dealer in the UK whom can source and fit the system - ordered today - have to wait four weeks for the poetry of sound. Thanks for all your contributions, read all of them.

Listen to the Eisenmann Muffler

I took my nephew out on a ride and he made this video he posted on Youtube. We were just driving down a street on the way to meet his father but did manage to get it up to 80 on the way to the next light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcItBl-Oao

Jay #436

Yes sir.....

That is the way mine sounds too!!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On
    BarneyBoy - where did you order them from? I am trying to get a set for my car.

Hope this helps...

You can get them direct HERE.

or from BeastPower

Enjoy the new sound, you won't regret it!!
    Last edited by Z8doc; April 4th 2008 at 15:10. Reason: more info
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On
    I bought mine in the UK from a company called CA Automotive (011 44 8712311010) I just went into the Eisenmann Web site and they list their suppliers across the world.