Thread: Z8 power WINS!

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Z8 power WINS!

The SAMAX DINAN BMW team came from last place halfway through the race to finish first at Laguna Seca Raceway! Their Riley chassis Daytona Prototype is powered by a Steve Dinan prepared S62 motor and after finishing a very close second in the last race, this win demonstrates the real potential of Z8 power. Unfortunately, the other team running a Dinan prepared S62 motor did not fare as well. Their race ended after an off-course excursion ruptured an oil line and started the car on fire. The driver escaped unhurt but the car was severely damaged. If you haven't watched one of these races, you owe it to yourself to tune in. The competition is fierce, with constant pushing and shoving on track, and nose to tail racing throughout. Great fun and a great opportunity to cheer on the home team!

What a fantastic victory, I hope Steve was there to see his motor win on his home track!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

BTW, it will be shown on Speed TV at 12pm May 18th, or 3pm for us West coasters, below is the official press release.

MONTEREY, Calif. (17 May, 2008) - Henri Zogaib and Ryan Dalziel delivered the best birthday present possible for SAMAX Motorsport team owner Peter Baron as the two combined for a convincing race win with the No. 2 Dinan BMW-Riley in the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No. 16Rumbum.com 250 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Saturday. After racing back to the front from a lap down from the leaders, Dalziel led the final 23 laps to take the win.

The win is the first Rolex Sports Car Series victory for SAMAX Motorsport, and also marks the first Rolex Series Victory Circle visit for Zogaib and Dalziel. The break through victory was all the more remarkable given that Zogaib had never seen the track before the weekend started.

Zogaib started the race from deep in the field, and immediately began to set some of his fastest times of the weekend, relishing every lap on the legendary 2.2-mile natural terrain circuit. Using the same playbook that saw them take a strong second-place finish at Virginia International Raceway in April, Zogaib turned the Dinan-BMW over to Dalziel after his opening stint in the two hour and forty-five minute event.

An unfortunately timed yellow flag meant that Dalziel soon found himself a lap down from the leaders. But fast pit stops, shrewd strategy, and remarkable pace all added up to a big victory as Dalziel crossed the line 1.504-seconds ahead of the field.

The accomplishment was roundly lauded by the paddock, recognizing not only Dalziel's reversal of bad luck at the track, but also too the rapid progression made by Zogaib from interested observer to full-time participant in high-level road racing.

"It is hard for me to describe what this win means to me," said Zogaib. "This comes after years of hard work for me from when I first started in this sport racing in Skip Barber and beginning to dream of a day just like this. We struggled earlier this year, but we restructured the entire team and made the investment in a new powerplant and committed to having all the right resources to make sure we could win races. We showed we were strong at VIR, so this is just a fantastic feeling to go one better and take the victory today.

"I never set foot on this track until yesterday," said Zogaib, still drenched in champagne as he received the congratulations from everyone in the Rolex paddock. "We missed the whole first session due to a fuel cell replacement. So I was under a lot of pressure to learn this track and find some speed. Ryan was pure magic. I'm very proud of him. There's a lot more to come from SAMAX. I'm a happy man."

"It feels fantastic to break through the barrier for SAMAX and get this victory," said Dalziel. "I lost the Atlantic championship here in 2004, and since then I've had an up and down battle here. I told Peter Baron that I would get him a win, and he stuck with me and I'm happy to be able to get this win with Henri for Peter. The Dinan BMW was fantastic and team had phenomenal pit stops and strategy as usual, and even though I wasn't happy with my last restart, there was no way I was going to let this win get away! I was going to end up in the tires or end up in victory lane. This is very emotional for us, a huge day!"

Team spirits were naturally high in the SAMAX pits after the race, as team owner Baron saw his organization take the top prize after scoring several runner-up results in Rolex competition.

"I am really happy for Henri because he stuck with us after we had a tough run at Daytona, and he really pushed us to find the most competitive package we could," said Peter Baron. "He saw the potential in this team, and gave us the opportunity to be in a position to take a win like this. Henri did a good job his first time here at this track and the Dinan-BMW really helped us move forward along with our strategy and pit stops. We knew a win would come this year, but it was just a matter of time and I'm really happy it came together on my birthday!"

The Rumbum.com 250 will be broadcast on Speed Channel at 12:00 PM ET on May 18
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Excellent race and good work by Dinan. I always try and catch races at LS as I have run that track a lot and watching the pro lines is always enlightening. Some of the off road excursions were pretty amazing!