Thread: Bill in VA - excited new owner

Z8 Novice

Bill in VA - excited new owner

After searching for months I've finally brought home a beautiful Z8, 02 silver/black #61327 w/3400 miles. It has everything including the book except the battery charger, so i bought one from BMW.

Richmond BMW in Richmond VA found it, had the field rep check it out, installed the pp w/o any problems and mounted PS2's from Tirerack. Their service and attention to detail was fantastic. Driving home about 80 miles was an incredible experience. I would like especially like to thank Andrew for his help and for maintaining this site. Also all the passionate enthusiastic members who have posted a wealth of info abount this extrordinary car. I couldn't have worked thru all the issues and made an informed purchase w/o everyones input. Again thanks. One ? what is the best way to hook up the battery charger and does everyone leave it on all the time when not driving?
    All the best
    Bill

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Congrats on the new purchase. I too have found this board to be a most valuable resource.

Now we need the requisite pics.
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Congratulations!!

The trickle charger is pretty much a must with these cars, they almost all seem to be battery drainers when sitting doing nothing. No one has pinpointed exactly the cause, but there are several thoughts as to why this is so. For almost all of us keeping hooked to a trickle charger maintains the battery enough to keep it alive and well, but as you discover our battery is a common topic. The BMW unit I have just plugs into the cigarette lighter.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    thanks andrew
    mine just has clips should i connect it directly to the battery or to the terminals under the hood
    bill

Directly to the battery. Actually, the best method is to wire in a fused direct connect.
    thegunguy

Did you do one of those, and if so how/where do you plug into it?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I use the cigarette lighter as well to plug in the trickle charger

Mine is just like Michael's in this thread. The charging plug/pigtail exits behind the license plate. This way the cable doesn't lay on the car or compress any weatherstripping. Plus, I just don't trust the accessory/cigarette plug for charging the car. I've seen (mine started smoking one day)/read about too many problems with such a connection, including shorts, fires, etc.

The AccuMate Pro is a much better charger as well, compared to the Deltron that BMW supplies, and it works for both wet and dry cells. I keep the Lotus on one as well. The next home is getting a built in charging system for all the toys.

The other alternative is to install a disconnect (Bob did this) similar to what you'll find in many race cars. This eliminates the drain completely. However, the alarm will no longer function, you will lose your radio presets, and depending on where the disconnect is installed (next to the battery in Bob's case), you can't close the trunk (or you won't get it back open).
    thegunguy

Bill -

Congratulations! Where in Virginia are you?

If you are anywhere near Hampton Roads area, it would be nice to see the car and coordinate a road trip.

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Z8Mania
    Congratulations and welcome! I have an OEM battery and I use the OEM charger which came with my car- its just a cigarette lighter charger. If I put the car away and there are more then 3 days of iffy weather lined up I plug it in so I dont have to even think about it if that 3 days turns into a week or two. Also- be sure to replace the battery every 4-5 years.

Z8 Novice
    hi skip
    i live about 80 miles sw of riichmond so hampton roads is about 3 hrs plus but a roadtrip sounds interesting
    take care
    bill

DSC Off
    Congrats Bill, that silly grin will stay on your face for quite some time. You must be in the Danville area. I'm out of Charlotte....as you know, plenty of great roads just a couple hours west of you. Always good to see another Z8 in the VA/NC/SC vicinity. Unfortunately, there are not many of us.

I have had my Alpina for two years and have not used the trickle charger yet. The car sits in the garage every winter from November to April with no problems. As the battery is four and a half years old I figure it just a matter of time until it dies now, but there has been no drain when I am not using it. Not sure if it makes any difference but I do put the hard top on while the car sits for the annual winter hibernation.