Thread: Clutch related BMW bulletin?

Clutch related BMW bulletin?

This appeared in the description of a 2003 Z8 on Ebay (#190217883975)
    http://contact.ebay.com/ebaymotors/w...lerQuestion_VI
    Has anyone heard of this before? A "silent" recall?

"New improved clutch for the Z8 was developed because of a frequent problem for owners with the original clutch. Was not a "safety recall" but was made available to those who developed the clutch issue at no charge. My dealer was immediately aware of the problem and "fix" and had received a bulletin from BMW regarding the new clutch ( developed specifically for the Z8) and procedure to correct the problem via replacement."

News to me. The M5 suffers from a high replacement rate as well. So, a Z8 only fix sounds a bit off, but maybe so.
    thegunguy

I never heard of it either?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Could be related to the CDV?

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    This appeared in the description of a 2003 Z8 on Ebay (#190217883975)
    http://contact.ebay.com/ebaymotors/w...lerQuestion_VI
    Has anyone heard of this before? A "silent" recall?

"New improved clutch for the Z8 was developed because of a frequent problem for owners with the original clutch. Was not a "safety recall" but was made available to those who developed the clutch issue at no charge. My dealer was immediately aware of the problem and "fix" and had received a bulletin from BMW regarding the new clutch ( developed specifically for the Z8) and procedure to correct the problem via replacement."
    This is not any type of recall. Often times BMW will simply produce an "updated" part if they've expirenced a high replacement rate (particularly under warranty). In spite of what this guy and his service bill state, there was an updated part produced for the M5, which made its way to our cars.

As I understand it, P/N 21 21 2 228 853 (or 21 21 2 282 388) is the original and P/N 21 21 7 515 146 is the updated. BTW, if you check P/N 21 21 7 515 146 you'll note that it's specified for both the e39 M5 and the Z8.

Do we know when the updated part was released? Post production run?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Do we know when the updated part was released? Post production run?
    Sometimes the ETK will say when the new part was released and when the old part become obsolete, unfortunately not in this case.

The bulletin is SI B 21 01 01 June 2004 - "Popping / Clicking noise from Clutch pedal"

Situation - A popping sound may be heard along with a click , which is felt in the clutch pedal in the last third of pedal travel when the clutch pedal is pressed or released.

Correction - an improved clutch pressure plate was introduced in production in June 2003 to eliminate the potential clutch pedal popping sound and click in the clutch pedal as described above.
    *Note - The clutch pedal popping sound and click felt in the clutch pedal has no effect on clutch service life.

This repair is to be performed only if a customer complaint is rec'd and the popping/clicking is verifed by the technician.

As of the publishing of this bulletin, (June 2004) only the new improved clutch sets are available from BMW.

Hope this clears up the situation for all of you. It was not a campaign, but a complaint response from BMW

It applies to many models.

Thanks
    Dana Caldwell
    Serrvice & Parts Director
    Peter Pan BMW

Thanks Dana!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Thanks Dana. On the other hand, the CDV will help you fry the clutch quickly along with all the torque and the excellent grip of the tires... Anyone who fries their clutch in much less miles than they ordinarily would with a stick shift car, the CDV is your culprit.