Thread: Engine Light is on...otherwise all seems fine...Probable cause????

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Exclamation Engine Light is on...otherwise all seems fine...Probable cause????

After 6 months in heated storage, I fired her up on Monday and she seemed fine. I noticed she sounded a little "throaty" on my way to work this morning. Did not notice the engine light until I got to work.

I started her up again at lunch and the light is still on. Could this be simply the sign of a tired battery? Had her on the trickle charger until about 48 hours ago and have driven about 50 miles or less since.

Was planning a 150 mi road trip this evening. Would still like to take her out but only if I can resolve this issue first.

Any thoughts?

Z8 Madness
    If the light doesn't go out after a restart, you'll probably need to pull the codes to determine what's going on. Hopefully it's just a bad sensor. The battery may be the problem, but not very likely. Good luck.
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    Please take a look on the pdf file "exhaust changes"!

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=1112
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Thanks for the info. If I read it correctly, replacing all of the sensors is not only costly but may not be necessary. I really don't seem to have much choice but to give Erhard BMW a try.

I took the car to Erhard BMW in West Bloomfield for an oil change just a few hours prior to putting her away for storage last fall. I had asked that Castrol TWS be used and was told that it would. After I waited for a couple hours (they neglected to call me when it was done) I learned that they did not use the TWS stating that BMW does not think it is needed. They still charged me $110 or so anyway....harrumph! I mentioned that I was considering the perf pkg install, but they heve not done any yet. I also need to replace my auxilliary fan as it broke in to a dozen pieces. They really did not seem too enthused to work on the car.

Unfortunately none of the BMW dealers I have approached in MI have me overwhelmed with confidence. I previously tried to start a relationship with one in Okemos but they were unaware of recalls because mine is a euro...despite my tipping them off not to use the VIN.

Z8Mania
    What color is the engine light? Orange? Its possible this is due to the gas cap not being put back tightly. Try opening up the gas cap and then putting it back tightly. Give it a little drive and hopefully the light clears itself.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Refresh my memory - if it is a gas cap issue isn't there some sequence with the key to reset the light ? Something like - key to position 1 - wait 10 seconds - key to position 2 - wait 10 seconds and start ??

Dave P

Quote Originally Posted by jdillane View Post
    Thanks for the info. If I read it correctly, replacing all of the sensors is not only costly but may not be necessary. I really don't seem to have much choice but to give Erhard BMW a try.

I took the car to Erhard BMW in West Bloomfield for an oil change just a few hours prior to putting her away for storage last fall. I had asked that Castrol TWS be used and was told that it would. After I waited for a couple hours (they neglected to call me when it was done) I learned that they did not use the TWS stating that BMW does not think it is needed. They still charged me $110 or so anyway....harrumph! I mentioned that I was considering the perf pkg install, but they heve not done any yet. I also need to replace my auxilliary fan as it broke in to a dozen pieces. They really did not seem too enthused to work on the car.

Unfortunately none of the BMW dealers I have approached in MI have me overwhelmed with confidence. I previously tried to start a relationship with one in Okemos but they were unaware of recalls because mine is a euro...despite my tipping them off not to use the VIN.

Jim, what a story.... is the 'other' oil still inside your Z8 ? I was at Nowack tuning (Germany) last year and saw what wrong oil can do to for example your Vanos unit... I would go back to Erhard and tell them to take out the oil they put in immediately. The Z really needs Castrol TWS 10W60......What happened to customer satisfaction ?
    How did your fan break ? Did they do it when in service ? Shouldn't you contact Andrew for another BMW dealership ? Good luck from the Netherlands.

p.s. I agree with Jerry (Z8Mania); maybe you should drive around for some time, let the engine heat up fully every drive; might do the trick (?)

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    I know what you mean about MI dealers. I lived in MI for 12 years, left there six years ago for Phoenix. I tried the dealer on the east side of Detroit (I think it was called Bavarian), they closed the hood of my 535i on a wrench, thus denting the hood and requiring repair. One of the technicians at Erhard BMW used a shop wrag to clean my 535i hood after service and proceeded to scratch it terribly. They pad for buffing out the scratches and repainting. I did find a place in Kego Harbor where an independent garrage worked exclusively on BMW's. The owner I believe advertised in the local BMW chapter newsleter. He races BMW's or at least used to. He was very knowledgeable on the cars. I don't know if he is familiar with Z8's.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

I did check the gas cap last night and confirmed that was not the issue.

I forgot to look for my oil change receipt but will hunt it down when I get home tonight and then proceed to make arrangements with Erhard. I hope that whatever oil they used did not impair the vanos.

Thanks again, to all for the replies.

I located the oil change receipt. Looks like my Z was given 9 qts of 5w30 SynOil (55g). From earlier threads, there seemed to be a split of opinion on what oil to use. My Z is a 2001 euro.

Is anyone else using this oil? If so, any problems with the Vanos? Yellow engine light?

Lastly, has there been a consensus on the oil we should be using or is anyone convinced that the 5w30 SynOil is incorrect?

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    I have been using the same oil as you but see that Juergen is using theTWS. I am changing over.

dave p

Topic at out forum about one year ago >>>>

QUOTE:

April 6th 2007, 11:59

Juergen Wunderlich

BMW recommendation on CASTROL TWS 10W-60

To second Dieters post! There are a few Z8 owners who have had an engine failure for several reasons e.g. cooling problems AND problems because the wrong oil and additives were used.
    You can easily see the difference in using BMW recommended oil on the attached picture of the VANOS units which ran about 60.000 miles. The unit on top got only CASTROL TWS 10W-60, which has a special recommendation from BMW AG, the unit below ran with ?cheaper? oil. The S62 engine is very ?sensitive? on oil quality and I highly recommend to use the CASTROL TWS 10W-60, which in Germany is only available at BMW dealerships.

Attached Images

J?rgen Wunderlich
    President
    (Germany)

Last edited by Juergen Wunderlich : April 6th 2007 at 12:00. Reason: spelling

Z8Mania
    The quick and dirty version of this is when the engine appeared in the M5 and Z8 back in 2000 the 10W60 was expensive and hard to find and many people complained. Sooo BMW made a few minor changes to the engine, to help it not eat oil too, and they said you can use 5W30. The thing is, 10W60 is superior for many reasons. Even though BMW would allow the 5W30, and the cars even got a sticker saying to use 5W30, you should insist on 10W60. A friend who posts here and knows far more than I ever will told me that the 5W30 is not necessarily a bad oil, but the 10W60 has a lot of special additives which come from motorsport and are designed to really protect the engine so its not just about the weight of the oil, the oil itself is a better oil. IMHO even if you have to pay for it, which you shouldnt since I think the dealer made a mistake, I would get them to drain out the 5w30 and replace with the recommended TWS 10W60.

Quote Originally Posted by jdillane View Post
    I located the oil change receipt. Looks like my Z was given 9 qts of 5w30 SynOil (55g). From earlier threads, there seemed to be a split of opinion on what oil to use. My Z is a 2001 euro.

Is anyone else using this oil? If so, any problems with the Vanos? Yellow engine light?

Lastly, has there been a consensus on the oil we should be using or is anyone convinced that the 5w30 SynOil is incorrect?
    Jim, although I think that the Castrol TWS should be the oil in your Z8, I do not think that this caused the engine light to turn on.

So, my Z8 sat in the garage for a couple days. Got home late this afternoon, fired her up and the light is gone. I will swap out the oil shortly. Hopefully I won't have to have the VANOS sensors checked out!

Great Jim. Happy driving !