Thread: Nobody cares about frame problem?

Z8 Novice

Nobody cares about frame problem?

I only learnt about the frame problem and PP solution last week thanks to this forum and grateful to it. I ordered the PP from the official BMW center in Madrid, Spain. They are getting me the package, but never heard about the problem. Not many Z8's in Spain, though. I went into Mobile.de, Europe, and saw about 40 cars for sale. I went through the photos, some of them show the engine, and not one showed the PP bar installed. Many of the cars were sold in Germany, but nobody seems to care about such an apparently scary problem with a reasonable unexpensive solution, or do ownwers not know about it? Could BMW be right when they "unaccept" the existence of the problem?

It is one of those grey areas where both we the owners, and BMW AG, the makers, really wish that this issue simply didn't exist, so it isn't spoken about much beyond these four walls, if you know what I mean. Sadly I've seen almost twenty cars with signs of the issue over the last eighteen months since it first came to light. It is of far greater concern to us Americans because even our best roads are so much worse than the worst roads in Europe. The combination of our potholes, the runflat tires and the stock suspension were all outside the design parameters of the car. It was developed and tested using Michelin Pilot sport tires, and if you swap to those you are already much safer that the using the runflats. They were an eleventh hour decision by the all powerful Marketing Dept of BMW AG, who wanted the latest cool thing, so they were never really tested on the car before it went on sale.

After you add the PP dump the runflats, and you will never have a problem, so long as you keep it on the tarmac!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks for the advice. I had my RF with only 7.000km replaced by Michelin PS2, and awaiting the PP. I was shocked when I heard about the problem, and such an icon as the Z8 vanish. I am really happy I came upon this forum, and will feel happy again as soon as the PP is mounted.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    I spoke to another Dutch owner whom I pointed out the possible issues and he said his dealer told him the PP was only needed in case of "spirited driving". As such BMW does still not acknowledge possible weak point in the engineering of the chassis.
    Even of they are right better be safe then sorry!!

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8-NL View Post
    I spoke to another Dutch owner whom I pointed out the possible issues and he said his dealer told him the PP was only needed in case of "spirited driving". As such BMW does still not acknowledge possible weak point in the engineering of the chassis.
    Even of they are right better be safe then sorry!!

I absolutely agree with you. If the problem occurs, the car does not break down, she dies!

When I started looking for a Z8 (about 2 years ago) I saw about 10 Z8's (almost all of them in Germany). 2 (a third I am not sure) of them had the 'closed cap' at the front of the hood......