Thread: Local hero.....

Local hero.....

Yesterday I got to see my first ALMS race in Long Beach, which was simply fantastic. The lead billing is the constant battle between the big LMP1 deisel engined Audi's and the smaller LMP2 Porsche Spyders. Both teams are ultimately owned by the Porsche family, so this really is a family affair, but it makes for simply stunning racing seeing these beautiful cars charging through the field of slower GT cars.

The driving is really exceptional, as a spectator I'd say that it is one of the finest displays of driver skill you'll see on any racetrack. Amongst these incredible drivers is a young American driver who is simply elecrtifying to watch, Patrick Long. He took his Spyder from fourth place on the grid to first before the first corner in a breathtakingly bold move, and held on to first place for his entire one hour stint.

I'm not sure how many here are big racing fans, but Patrick is well worth watching, and watching out for. If you aren't following this amazing series he gives you a very good reason to start. In the first picture below he studies the front straight where he'll execute his awesome starting pass on the mighty diesel Audi's. The Audi's did eventually win the race, the track layout had two massive straights where there was just no getting away from the big diesel's endless power.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

All the other cars in the field are all well worthy of mention too, this series is by far and away the most interesting field in all of motorsport IMHO. Sadly BMW weren't there (too busy playing golf! ).

Andrew Macpherson

Great pictures Andrew ! (as always)

Z8Mania
    Great pictures and write up Andrew- thanks for sharing!!

It is likely that BMW will return soon with this V8 beastie...

thegunguy

Oh look, it's the same color as a golf ball, that should appeal to the folks at NA!
    Andrew Macpherson

No, they'll find some reason not to like it.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    That looks awesome!

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    These E92 based racing M3s are being developed by BMW Motorsport to compete in the GT2 class of ALMS during the 2009 season. Rahal Letterman Racing will campaign the cars. Weighing 2535 lbs. and powered by a 485HP version of the new M3's V8 motor, these cars should be quite competitive right from the start.

Wow, they cut the weight of the production car in half!
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Thanks again Andrew. Great shots. I was able to catch a bit of the race here on TV. Looked incredible from a distance.
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

H'mmmm

Let's see, out of the Z8 and the New Beetle TDI, which has the closest relationship to racing heritage?

outstanding as always Andrew!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102