Thread: Looking for Alfa Duetto Spider

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Looking for Alfa Duetto Spider

I am looking for an Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider in nice condition. If anyone knows of one that is available, please let me know. Thanks!

Can I talk you into a '73 Spider in the meantime?
    2002 Silver/Black

Z8 Novice
    Back in about 1974, my 17 year old girlfriend upstaged me when her mother bought her a 1969, I believe. My little TR4 must have inspired her, as we were always in it. But what a difference! Amazing what they did with those little engines. I remember how smoothe the transmission was compared to my car. Was it not a 5 speed? Can't remember. Good luck on your search.

Beautiful Veloce, but my heart's set on a round tail Duetto. Red/black is my first choice. Thanks for the offer!

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

I have one sitting in my garage & it's staying there

Round tail and Duetto are not synonymous. The Duetto name only refers to Spiders made in the 1967 model year. When the car came out in 1966, it was known as the 1600 Spider. The name Duetto came as the result of a contest held by ALFA Romeo, the Duetto being the winning name. AR was promptly sued by the Italian pastry company Pavesi for copyright infringement as they had a cookie called the Duetto. No 1968's were imported into the US. When ALFA returned in 1969, the car was called the Spider Veloce and had a 1750 engine (actually a 1779 cc engine, but ALFA wanted to pay homage to the great 6C1750) with SPICA fuel injection. Many 1969 ALFAs were converted back to dual 40DCOE Webers, as they continued to be equipped with in Europe. In 1970, ALFA chopped the tail off the car - a sacrelige in my opinion, as the round tail was the last car designed under the tuteledge of the great Battista "Pinin" Farina.

In the US, they are probably best known for the use of the Duetto in the film "The Graduate". The story of how the car ended up in the film is interesting, as Dustin Hoffman is the nephew of long-time AFLA importer (and by the way the man most responsible for BMW's US image) Max Hoffman.

If you set an ALFA round tail next to a Z8, the two cars have a lot in common stylistically. A pic of my ALFA is attached below:

Thanks for the history lesson; information I wasn't aware of. Your Duetto is absolutely gorgeous! If you know anyone who has one for sale or a particular source to help in my search, please let me know. Is it possible to fit wire wheels to these cars? I have seen hub adapters to fit wires on other cars. Were the headlight covers available from the factory or are they an aftermarket part? I have seen the cars with and without. Thanks.

Z8Mania
    Beautiful car!!! Great information.

I have seen at least one round tail with wire wheels on it. I would recommend going with something that looked more like a Boranni than the English Dunlop wheels.

Re the headlight covers, by the time 1969 rolled around ALFA was no longer installing them on US bound cars, rather a set was supplied in the trunk leaving it up to the owner whether to install them or not. I beieve they were no longer suppplied with the car after 1969. I understand that they continued to be fitted to European Spider Veloces up until 1983 when the front was restyled and the ALFA triangular grille became an ugly black rubber thing in ther center of the bumper.

A new ALFA Owner came in the mail -- I will look in it to see if any are avialable.

I wish an ALFA Duetto was worth $30K!

Dealer Listings

1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto

$29,995
    Body Style: convertible
    Mileage: 0000
    Interior: Black
    Exterior: Bright Red

Dealer: Cars With Class

Email Dealer | Visit Dealer's Website | Email this to a Friend

Dealer Notes:

Here is a spectacular little Alfa Romeo Duetto with some great history attached to it. It was on the cover of Road & Track magazine for the August 1989 issue. Prior to that it was in Road & Track in May, June and July 1983 issues under the title ?Sports Car Restoration? by Thos L. Bryant. In these articles they restore this car as there project car. It didn?t hurt that R&T senior editor John Lamm had owned the car prior to selling it to R&T assistant art director Richard Baron. Trying to make sense out of the records we have it appears sometime between this time period and 1989 the car changed ownership again back to John & Cynthia Lamm who in turn sold it in September 1989 to a Warren Braverman of Corolco Pictures on Sunset Boulevard and then Cinergi Productions here in Santa Monica. He must not have been totally happy with the paint and in turn had the famous restoration house of Hill & Vaughn (Phil Hill) in Marina Del Rey, CA. redo the car spending what seems to be, according to the records we have, in the range of $20,000.00, a good amount of money in 1989. We then purchased the car from Warren Braverman in December 1996 and sold it to a friend who owned it up until us just buying it back from him. The car has been enjoyed thoroughly and still shows amazingly well. The body is very straight and appears to be as solid as they come. The interior is in very nice condition with a beautiful Nardi wood rim steering wheel and the car drives very well indeed. The only flaw it has and a typical Alfa fault is reverse gear has a tendency to pop out so you just need to hold the gear lever to prevent it. One of those things that was there in 1996 when we had it and still there today, but easy to live with. Power comes from that wonderful free reving 1600cc twin overhead cam engine with twin Weber 40 DCOE carburetors that developed 125 horsepower and goes through a 5-speed gearbox. Finished in Red with a Black interior and Black convertible top and boot. www.carsclassic.com $29,995
    Dealer Information:

Cars With Class

Classic, Sports Cars, Exotics, Muscle Cars, and Used Euros 1115 Wilshire Blvd.
    Santa Monica, CA 90403
    PH: 3106563444
    FAX 3106563440

(Google Map - Yahoo! Map)

More Cars from this Dealer

View All Listings From This Dealer
    Payment Calculator:

Vehicle Price:$29,995
    Interest Rate: %
    Years:
    Monthly Payment:

This is more like it!

CC-48162: 1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto

See Other Vehicles Like This
    $16,900

Click thumbnail for full-size image

Chequered Flag International is pleased to offer this 1969 Alfa Duetto 1750 (titled as a 1970 but obviously a 1969) in Turquoise with Black interior. Runs and drives very well. Very presentable car that has decent paintwork. Priced in the mid range. Don't expect the Crown Jewels and you'll get lots of use and fun out of it. Inspections encouraged. All sales As-IS. Sales tax and license fees due if delivered in California. - Contact Chequered Flag for more information. Phone: 310-827-8665 or Email: [email protected] FAX: 310-821-1272 - Please see more inventory and photos at www.chequeredflag.com. - STOCK/INV. NUMBER: AR1481368

Vehicle listing continues below.

I will follow-up on both. The red '67 does seem overpriced although it has undergone a thorough restoration at one point in its history. In any case, it's a start and I can't thank you enough for all your help! By the way, didn't we have a chat about Alfas some time back concerning that wonderful racing model, the name of which I've now forgotten, that was featured at Pebble Beach?

Racing ALFA at PB

It was probably a 6C1750 - the Flying Star - a one-off built on a racing ALFA chassis. It is owned by Arturo Keller, which is where I an setting up lunch when we are in Nappa.

Differences 1600/1750

There are a few differences you should be aware of between the 1600cc cars and the later 1750s. The biggest change was in the brakes. ALFA switched suppliers from Girling to ATE (Teves) between the 1600 and the 1750, also the 1750 came with a dual circuit braking system (and two vacuum servos under the hood). The other major change (in the US) was the switch from dual Webers to SPICA fuel injection. This is a mechanical fuel injection system and if it is not working properly, requires someone who really knows the system to work on it. A great number of 1750s (mine included, although I bought it that way) were converted back to dual Webers. The difference between the 1600 and 1750 engines is that the 1750 has a 2 mm longer stroke (78 vs 80) and a 7 mm increased bore (82 vs. 89 mm). Power was increased from 109 for the 1600 to 132 for the SPICA equipped US models (118 for the Weber equipped European) The 1600 reached its power peak at 6,000 RPM while the 1750 reached its at a somewhat lower 5,500 RPM. The other major change was a move from 15" wheels on the 1600 to 14" wheels on the 1750.

The Alfa I was referring to was a very sleek, very low, racing car which was of more recent vintage than the one pictured above. The engine redlined at some astronomical level and the car looked a little like the racing Dino Ferraris. Ring a bell?

I believe the Alfa I saw at Pebble was the 1967 Stradale 33/2 Stadale Scaglione Coupe with its gull-wing doors and slip-stream body. One of the most exciting designs I've ever seen. And get this folks, it is powered by a 2-liter V8 which revved to 8800 rpms and went 0-60 in 4.9 seconds in street trim. Remember, we're talking about 1967!
    Grease Monkey

Sounds amazing. Can you find any pics?

I think this is the one?

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I've never seen that......Stunning! Thanks. Looks like it was a major influence on the new car. It could be a 1967 "33 Stradale" designed by Scaglione. Also similar to the 1968 33.2 Daytona (prototype).

Last edited by Norcal; April 17th 2008 at 15:01.

That's the one! Thanks for posting those gorgeous pics! I believe they only built 18 of them and last price I saw was well over 1M. What an amazing car; it only weighed 1260 lbs! While I truly appreciate many of the advances manufacturers have made since then, the accompanying weight gain is not one of them.

In the pics it looks to be about the size of the Elise?