Thread: Almost lost #60650 yesterday.

Almost lost #60650 yesterday.

I'm still shaking a little today. I had just dropped my daughter off at Clear Lake (Houston) High School and was heading to work on a divided road when out of nowhere a young student driver pulled out in front of me and stopped in my lane, no more than 50 feet in front of me.

In 28 years of driving, I have never had such a feeling--and was sure I would collide. The road was slightly damp, I was traveling around 35 miles per hour, there was a car to my right in the other lane, and the road divider to my left had a tall curb and something of a "hill".

I slammed the brakes, and thankfully she froze up in my lane, allowing me some wiggle room to enter the unoccupied pass-through in the road divider. With a quick turn to the left under hard braking, I missed her by one or two inches, and came to a stop with my front air dam around 3 inches from the curb surrounding the pass-through, with her car behind me by a foot.

Thankfully, my newly broken-in PS2's grabbed the wet road such that my sunglasses that were wedged into the passenger seat went flying forward into the glove compartment.

I got out of the car, and the young lady tried to hustle away behind me, but was stopped by the traffic on the other side of the road. Slightly enraged, I gave her a piece of my mind (I kind of scared myself even).

I am sure that if I had been driving most other cars, that I would have T-boned her vehicle. Thank God for his hand in this one.

Good driving.... What about ABS ? Did it work ? 2 times left....?

Thank heavens both you and the car are both alright!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow, that is a horrible feeling. Glad you are ok. Good thing you weren't talking on the cell phone!

Thanks for your comments. The ABS MUST have worked, but it was different from other rapid "panic" stops I have experienced in other cars. I really did NOT feel the undulation or pumping sensation in the Z8, at least that I can recall. It all happened so quickly that the experience is sort of fuzzy.

I have been thinking about a different car for my daily driver though, something more replaceable: Boxter, Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Mini?

Any thoughts in this category?

I use an SL500 for my daily driver, it is solid, safe, sedate, and very easy to live with in LA traffic. The folding tin top is nice in a daily driver too, and in my opinion it compliments the Z8 very well. It will never be as special, and the depreciation is crazy, you can pick up an 03 like mine for under $40k now, which really is a lot of car for the money.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Funny thing, I was just writing Jerry (Z8 Mania) an email when your post on the thread popped up. One of the subjects was my love of the boxster. I sold a very special, highly modded, car last summer and found myself missing it a lot. I just this last week picked up a very low miles 05 cpo car with full factory warranty until 2011.
    I have driven all the cars on your list and in my mind the boxer stands head and shoulders above the rest. Much nicer interior(esp 05 and newer), great Bose audio(optional upgrade but lots of cars have it), my car has the full leather, which includes dash and door panels and really dresses it up.
    Another option that is cool is the Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), a two-range adaptive damping system and 0.4-inch ride height drop, which offers a sport button that sharpens throttle response and torque curve.
    At any rate, I love the nimble, unflappable, awesome balance of the car. Great steering feel, sharp turn in and probably the best slalom times you will ever put up! I would for sure upgrade to the S, otherwise the drop in torque will drive you nuts after the Z8 though.
    If you are anywhere near N. Calif. you are welcome to come drive mine. John

Mini

Picked up an old plain (non S) Mini as my daily driver companion to the Z8. A perfect mate IMHO. Very fun to drive - having 1/4 the power, so one ends up driving it closer to its limits on a daily basis. They say it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than a fast car slow.
    Then we I slip into the Z8 with the top down, it is a special treat.

Z8 Novice
    I use a C5 Corvette Convertible as a daily (summer) driver. Lots of fun, power and even gets a very decent gas mileage.